Menu

Halloween costume dilemma

Ok, so my 10 year old son wants to go as Jack the Ripper. I am not very cool with this.

My argument is that he was an actual murderer, and that is just way too gruesome.

His argument, is that halloween is about scary costumes, and "What can be more scary than Jack the Ripper? Really mom, he was horrible and they never caught him. That's the scariest thing ever."

He has a valid argument, but I am still thinking it is a bad idea. Ugh.

Any advice? Good, bad, and ugly, welcome.

I vote no. The Victorian idea of Halloween was putting devils and such "in their place," by showing one had no fear of the supernatural. I don't think elevating *real* murderers to a kind of supernatural status is a good idea. It seems to be glorifying them. Jack the Ripper committed heinous, horrifying crimes against real women. I just don't like the idea.

I vote no. The Victorian idea of Halloween was putting devils and such "in their place," by showing one had no fear of the supernatural. I don't think elevating *real* murderers to a kind of supernatural status is a good idea. It seems to be glorifying them. Jack the Ripper committed heinous, horrifying crimes against real women. I just don't like the idea.

:iagree: I couldn't figure out exactly why I thought the idea was so distasteful but then I read Mrs. Mungo's post and she sums it up perfectly.

:iagree: I couldn't figure out exactly why I thought the idea was so distasteful but then I read Mrs. Mungo's post and she sums it up perfectly.

:iagree::iagree:

As a Christian, I thought long and hard over the whole Halloween issue. What I ultimately decided was to celebrate the holiday but only to allow positive costumes. So Jack the Ripper would be a definite no. I think it's easier to have a clear rule than to have to fight over why one particular costume is okay but another isn't.

I'm not even sure how one would DRESS as Jack the Ripper and be 'recognized.' Dressing up in clothing of that era is likely to get you more confused looks than anything. Honestly, if someone wandered around in a costume like that, presumably splashed with fake blood, I'd be likely to ask if they were supposed to be Sweeney Todd.

I'd be more likely to let him be Sweeney Todd... being fictional and all... though I'm still not 100% sure how you'd pull it off other than matching with the musical costumes. I agree with those who say that the idea of someone impersonating that particular killer is rather disturbing. I wouldn't let my kid dress up as Charles Manson or Ted Bundy, either.

Edited by elise1mds

I'm not even sure how one would DRESS as Jack the Ripper and be 'recognized.' Dressing up in clothing of that era is likely to get you more confused looks than anything. Honestly, if someone wandered around in a costume like that, presumably splashed with fake blood, I'd be likely to ask if they were supposed to be Sweeney Todd.

I'd be more likely to let him be Sweeney Todd... being fictional and all... though I'm still not 100% sure how you'd pull it off other than matching with the musical costumes. I agree with those who say that the idea of someone impersonating that particular killer is rather disturbing. I wouldn't let my kid dress up as Charles Manson or Ted Bundy, either.

I agree with your whole post.

I would tell him "no, because I said so" because I would NOT want my young son introducing himself as Jack the Ripper to neighbors. I would NOT explain to my young son why, just tell him it is NOT an appropriate character for a young boy. Jack the Ripper cut up and possibly first raped prostitutes and mutilated their girl parts. Not someone I would let my son dress up as, even for halloween.

So many posts to come home to! Thanks!

I suppose I knew what the consensus would be here. You articulated some not-fully gelled thoughts that have been floating around in my head about it.

I love Jack the Kipper. That's excellent.

If it matters, he was Mr. Hyde last year. He seems to have a Victorian "monster" fixation.:tongue_smilie: Maybe I can get him to be Poe.

I don't allow gruesome costumes and my ds 10 keeps saying he thinks they are cool and wants me to relent. I'm stealing this explanation (this sums up my thoughts perfectly) but revising it to cover all that I find objectionable.

Thanks, Mrs. Mungo!! :D

To the OP, I haven't heard the details of the costume but I'm not sure anyone would know who he was supposed to be. Aside from that, I'm all for clever costumes. Encourage him to come up with something more clever that people would get that didn't glorify a very real murderer.

So many posts to come home to! Thanks!

I suppose I knew what the consensus would be here. You articulated some not-fully gelled thoughts that have been floating around in my head about it.

I love Jack the Kipper. That's excellent.

If it matters, he was Mr. Hyde last year. He seems to have a Victorian "monster" fixation.:tongue_smilie: Maybe I can get him to be Poe.

Walmart sells ($7) a large, life size raven that has eyes that glow- it would be a perfect accessory to a Poe costume.

I only know this because dd is going as the lady from The Birds and we're trying to find birds.

I'm assuming your son has very little knowledge about the details of what Jack the Ripper did, and that's the way it should be. I would direct him to some other ideas and not elaborate too much about all of the details.Yuck.I just wouldn't even take a child's mind to that place. :tongue_smilie:

It would be a firm NO at my house. I would spend more time talking about some alternatives.

Walmart sells ($7) a large, life size raven that has eyes that glow- it would be a perfect accessory to a Poe costume.

I only know this because dd is going as the lady from The Birds and we're trying to find birds.

Check Michael's for birds. I got a handful of different-sized ones there for a scarecrow costume one year and see them every fall when I'm there.