Menu

Ellen McHenry/Elemental Science?

I haven't seen that one.

My two oldest dc are currently going through her brain book.

They are really enjoying it and learning alot.

Very easy to implement and she gives extra ideas in the appendix.

I wish I had seen her chemistry book last year-I may still get it for my younger dc.

Guest Lorna

We are using 'The Elements' right now. It is absolutely superb. I am so glad we found it as the children's introduction to Chemistry proper.

I have been trying to hold off posting every day about this curriculum on our blog but, anyway, the past week I have devoted most of my posts to it. It looks like it is suitable for grammar stage, because of all the hands-on activities, but I am very impressed that it covers quite complex subjects such as the difference between covalent and ionic bonds. I think it suits the logic stage much more, and am glad we left it until now. This is one of our children's favourite curricula so far on our home education journey. We devote each afternoon exclusively to science. Nearly all my family are chemists and so I want our children to have a wonderful introduction to the subject. The modern textbooks I read seemed very dry and shallow in their learning - full of 'sound bites'. Ellen McHenry writes so well on the subject. The activities are a work of genius!

The best thing is that she has a follow up to The Elements which will take their studies further, Carbon Chemistry (suitable for grades 5 - 9).

Please visit my blog this week for pictures and more information. Today I have posted an experiment. If you scroll down there is the periodic table pillowcase; further down are a couple of related field trips and in a previous page is a review of the curriculum we have used so far.

Guest Lorna
Lorna, I found it through your blog. It looks really, really good. Is it a full-year program?

It depends on how much time you spend on science a week. It is so much fun we want to do it every day and we probably spend three hours each day on it. The crafts, games and activities take up most of this time.

We have also gone off a tangents, suggested by the text. There is so much in it but I guess you could get through it in two to three months. The text itself isn't long but add in the games that the children like to play each day, the songs that the children are learning to help them memorise the periodic table, chemical formula and chemical bonds, the skits that they put on as a show, the crafts, the experiments, watching excellent films of experiments (on the internet) suggested and the research the children are motivated to do as a result, and you could spend a good deal of time on it.

Equally we could have rushed through a textbook and I suspect the children wouldn't have retained much information this way.

Guest Lorna
Elemental Science is my program, yeah! It's nice to see it up here.

Here's a link to a review I found on a blog from a lady who is using the biology curriculum.

http://homegrownhomeschool.blogspot.com/2008/02/elemental-science-my-attempt-at-review.html

Hope that helps and I'd be happy to answer any another questions you may have.

Pata,

Can you write a biology programme for grades 7-8, please ?:tongue_smilie:

Another thumbs up on Ellen McHenry's The Elements! We just finished it last week! It's a semester long and lots of fun (and learning!). I have a brief blog post about it that includes a bunch of chemistry links here also. I'd have to say Lively Latin was my favorite curriculum this year, but The Elements is a close 2nd! :)

• 1 year later...

I used this curriculum with ds13 and ds10 this past summer and they absolutely loved it. I love how in-depth it is and they really enjoyed her sense of humor. There are 8 chapters and we did a chapter a week. I did not do any of the games - it was a hard summer since my fil died in July - so we just did the main part. You could certainly spend two weeks per chapter if you incorporated the games and other enrichment ideas she provides. There is a script for a skit about Epsom Salts which looked very cute and I wanted to do it, but like I said, our summer wasn't as relaxed as usual so we didn't get to it.

ETA: Just wanted to clarify that we used "The Elements." (since she has several different curriculums for sale)

I'm glad you asked. We "discovered" Mapping the World with Art just as we were beginning this school year, and I couldn't imagine where to fit anything else in. But it's one of my best finds in ages. I just love it. Love, love, love it.

So I was already starting to wonder about the science programs for next year. :) I want her Excavating English program too!

Please visit my blog this week for pictures and more information. Today I have posted an experiment. If you scroll down there is the periodic table pillowcase; further down are a couple of related field trips and in a previous page is a review of the curriculum we have used so far.

"This blog is open to invited readers only" That's the message I get when I clicked on your link.

We're on chapter 5 of The Elements. We started it mid-September and have been doing it on average 3x per week (we don't keep a strict schedule). We're also reading Exploring the World of Chemistry by John Hudson Tiner and The Mystery of the Periodic Table by Benjamin Wiker.

I'm planning to use Carbon Chemistry after we finish The Elements and then probably put together some unit studies on topics not covered by the Ellen McHenry books.

If you follow the WTM science cycle and have a bright 3rd grader, The Elements is totally do-able. It covers advanced topics but the author does an excellent job of making them comprehensible.

Excavating English is on sale at Rainbow Resource for $9 for whoever said they wanted to get it. I purchased it - it looks great - but haven't implemented it yet. We've been doing just bare bones since I got diagnosed with thyroid cancer in Sept. They were able to get all the cancer, but I'm still trying to regulate my thyroid meds - so I'm pretty tired most of the time.

But I plan on using Excavating and Elements as soon as I'm full speed again.

Smiles,

Shalynn

This looks great!

How much hands-on experimenting is included? Is there a materials list somewhere? Were they easy to find? (or how much did you spend at the science supply website, lol)?

Anything you feel you need to add to make it more complete (experiments, references, etc.)?

TIA!

Excavating English is on sale at Rainbow Resource for $9 for whoever said they wanted to get it. I purchased it - it looks great - but haven't implemented it yet. We've been doing just bare bones since I got diagnosed with thyroid cancer in Sept. They were able to get all the cancer, but I'm still trying to regulate my thyroid meds - so I'm pretty tired most of the time.

But I plan on using Excavating and Elements as soon as I'm full speed again.

Smiles,

Shalynn

It is not available on RR anymore.:crying:

Excellent program. It only took us about a month to go through it with my 12 yo, but we only worked through the main material and most of the activities in the program and didn't follow any of the supplemental ideas. My ds loved it, but he wasn't that interested in chemistry at the time and was heavy into history.