Menu

LFC A ? - about Derivatives

SewLittleTime

We just reached chapter 5--the first review lesson. I realized today there are lots of derivatives from the words we have learned already. Ds hasn't really learned the vocabulary of the derivative words. We have done the worksheets in each chapter, but I'm sure it is just that doing the worksheet and moving on. What I'm wondering is: should I stop, slow down, and put the derivatives on flash cards and learn what these words mean. Is that overkill? Or would it help him in the long run if we just spent our review lessons working on these particular words a bit? How important is it to know what these derivative words mean in English? Are we good to move on with just doing the worksheet pages in the book?

Looking for advise from those who have BTDT and even moved on to the next books.

I don't think it's necessary to write the derivatives on flashcards. Go over the derivatives and zero in on English words that will help your student remember the Latin meaning. Discussing these review pages can also help to expand your child's english vocabulary. I set aside a review week about every 8 weeks to do a thorough review of things we're lerning in Latin. Revisiting the derivative pages has been helpful to us.

We are finishing chapter 5 this week as well. We talk about the derivatives, I'll often tell them any that come to mind during the course of the week or if we read something (in English) that is a Latin derivative that we have studied already, I'll point it out to them. We did the derivative review worksheet this week, but I'm not making them memorize the derivatives. It's an exposure thing for us ... it's helping them see how many of our English words are derivatives of Latin, and how we can figure out unfamiliar English words by knowing Latin. (I also point out Spanish derivatives as I think of them, by the way.) Just my opinion and what is working for us. I figure by the time my boys are high school age and have many years of Latin under their belts (not to mention at least 2 other Latin-based languages - Spanish & French and hopefully Italian), English derivatives will be second nature - they don't need to memorize them now but rather just be exposed to them and know that we derive many, many English words from Latin roots.

I don't think it's necessary to write the derivatives on flashcards. Go over the derivatives and zero in on English words that will help your student remember the Latin meaning. Discussing these review pages can also help to expand your child's english vocabulary. I set aside a review week about every 8 weeks to do a thorough review of things we're lerning in Latin. Revisiting the derivative pages has been helpful to us.

Thank you for weighing in. We did the work for today, but I can tell he still isn't quite grasping the fullness of the derivatives. Maybe his lightbulb will come on as we work a little more through the book. I'll have to think on this a little more.

We are finishing chapter 5 this week as well. We talk about the derivatives, I'll often tell them any that come to mind during the course of the week or if we read something (in English) that is a Latin derivative that we have studied already, I'll point it out to them. We did the derivative review worksheet this week, but I'm not making them memorize the derivatives. It's an exposure thing for us ... it's helping them see how many of our English words are derivatives of Latin, and how we can figure out unfamiliar English words by knowing Latin. (I also point out Spanish derivatives as I think of them, by the way.) Just my opinion and what is working for us. I figure by the time my boys are high school age and have many years of Latin under their belts (not to mention at least 2 other Latin-based languages - Spanish & French and hopefully Italian), English derivatives will be second nature - they don't need to memorize them now but rather just be exposed to them and know that we derive many, many English words from Latin roots.

Exposure is my intent at this age, but having not studied Latin myself I'm in new territory. You're right in that by the time ds gets to high school age that he will have several years and other languages under his belt. So, the derivative issue should work itself out.

Thank you for your perspective. We'll do the work and move on.

Here's the way I did LfC A last year with my oldest, we are finishing up our "summer" Minimus and starting LfC B in a few weeks.

Monday - watched the DVD together, review the exact same info in the Primer

Tuesday - do the chant cd together, do a page from the activity book

Wednesday - chant again, did the weekly translation from the Libellus de Historia (starts in week 15ish)

Thursday - chant *again* do the worksheet in the primer

Friday - chant (quiz review) and do the weekly quiz

In reality we spent about 15-20 minutes a day on Latin and by doing the chants over and over I felt like we began learning the derivatives. We didn't completely understand them by any means but exposure, repetition and memorization are the keys for us to learn a new foreign language. It's been funning reading the Minimus cartoons over the summer/early fall and really feeling like we are understanding it with the exception of the occasional new vocabulary word.

PS ds and I are learning Latin together. He has agreed to be the primary tutor for his 3rd grade brother doing LfC A this year. Should be interesting!

I am learning Latin with mine as well. This is our LfC A schedule:

Monday: Watch DVD, read the chapter lesson (reinforce Magister) and do the first translation page in the Primer

Tuesday: Chant and do the derivative page

Wednesday: Chant and do the quiz page (we do it together)

Thursday: Chant and do a page from the Activity book

Friday: Chant (or DVD chant/lesson if I think we need the reminder); Minimus

Eventually on Friday's I'll add either translation from the Libellus de Historia book or translation from the Minimus dialogue. But that's not until after winter break.