Menu

Spelling Workout placement

momee

How do you decide which level to go with?

SWB says in WTM aim to finish D by end of fourth grade, student who gets through E or F will be exceptionally well prepared.

She's not the greatest speller. We have AAS but it's too teacher intensive for me at this stage of life.

Edited by momee

The first list in D is

banner, hundred, fame, later, seven, hammer, twelve, barrel, dollar, letters, silent, wild, until, swift, bottles, pineapple, film, gallon, traffic, eleven

For C, it is

fast, bird, nine, life, since, kill, cnnot, egg, water, mark, person, quite, beside, sister, forest

HTH

My daughter is 3rd grade and this is the first year we've done spelling. I looked at B (2nd grade) and C ( 3rd grade). The C level looked too hard, but the B was pretty easy at least at first. So I got the B book and we are doing almost 2 lessons a week. Once a week I have her do the writing exercise from one of the lessons. That has been the hardest thing. I plan to finish B by Christmas and then we'll see how we go from there. AT some point, I will not go so fast when she struggles with the words.

Christine

My daughter is 3rd grade and this is the first year we've done spelling. I looked at B (2nd grade) and C ( 3rd grade). The C level looked too hard, but the B was pretty easy at least at first. So I got the B book and we are doing almost 2 lessons a week. Once a week I have her do the writing exercise from one of the lessons. That has been the hardest thing. I plan to finish B by Christmas and then we'll see how we go from there. AT some point, I will not go so fast when she struggles with the words.

Christine

My son blew through A and B in 2nd grade, this year with C he had to slow down. He isn't a natural speller and is scoring in the 80-87% range on all the quizzes. Anything below 80 I have him do more reviewing with Spelling City and retake the test. At this rate he'll be lucky to get through C this year! :tongue_smilie: I think we need to take a break and review phonics before moving on.

The first list in D is

banner, hundred, fame, later, seven, hammer, twelve, barrel, dollar, letters, silent, wild, until, swift, bottles, pineapple, film, gallon, traffic, eleven

For C, it is

fast, bird, nine, life, since, kill, cnnot, egg, water, mark, person, quite, beside, sister, forest

HTH

Ok, so my son will be 7 next month-um, he can spell most of these already. I was really interested in this spelling curricula, now I am :confused:

Ok, so my son will be 7 next month-um, he can spell most of these already. I was really interested in this spelling curricula, now I am :confused:

FWIW, I am using SW C for my DD8, grade 3. My budget is blown for now, but SW is first on my replacement list. So far, she has not been challenged AND she doesn't seem to pay any attention to the rules. I'm looking hard at All About Spelling (AAS).

Not to hikack, but for those who find swo too easy, you might look at megawords. My advanced 3rd grade speller is reasonab ly challenged with MW A, and we'll be moving into B in Jan. My 5 yo is starting SWO C in Jan, so I do think good spellers can move way up in SWO, and as I said, MW has proved good fit for our natural spelling 8 yo.