Menu

Would you buy a refurbed Mac?

*anj*

We're probably going to need a new computer soon, and we're seriously considering a MacBook Pro. The educator discount isn't anything to write home about, so I'm wondering if maybe we should consider buying a refurbished model.

Would you? Why or why not? Have you done it already and lived to regret it?

Thanks!!! :D

Absolutely. When I was shopping for an iPod touch, the Mac genius at the mall told me he always buys refurbed if it's an option. They are fully warrantied and well checked over. I went bought a refurbed iPod and haven't had a problem - and it looked brand new.

We would have bought a refurbed iMac too, but we got sick of waiting for one to show up in the online Apple Store (our old PC was on its very last leg).

I haven't, but my brother bought a refurbished MacBook a few years ago. He's been very happy with its performance. The only problem he has with it is that it is more obsolete now than it would have been if he had bought new at the time. It won't run many new software programs because the operating system is too old, and the computer not powerful enough to run the new operating systems.

I would consider buying used, but I would get the newest and most powerful machine I could afford. I would be disappointed if I had to replace it soon because it wouldn't do what I needed it to do.

Would you? Why or why not? Have you done it already and lived to regret it?

Thanks!!! :D

DH (computer guy) says no, he wouldn't. It means something was faulty to begin with. After the faulty component gets replaced, the system doesn't come with the same warranty as a new machine. Moreover, there's no way to tell how much abuse the machine took before it was returned.

Hope that helps a little.

Several years ago one of the posters on this board, Diedre in Georgia, recommended a refurbed Mac to me.

We bought a refurbed MacBookPro and have been very pleased with it. Since then, we've added a mini-Mac, iPhone, iPod touch, apple TV and 2 shuffles.:D

The refurbs are great and I'm pretty sure they come with the same warranty as a new mac. Apple is a super company...customer service is *wonderful*!

I actually work for the Fruit.

First, know that Refurbished does not always means something was wrong with it. Many times people return them because it was not what they needed, ie not enough RAM, etc. It's a 14 day return window, so it's not as if they had them that long.

Here's the company policy on Refurbished:

They are thoroughly tested and anything not up to Apple's high standards is replaced. We replace the battery, give it a new case, clean it, and inspect it again! Plus, we give it a new serial number so there is no question about who the Mac belongs to.

Plus as far as it being outdated, nothing that is sold THAT outdated.

Plus most Macs have the capacity to be expanded, meaning you can add a faster processor, more RAM, etc.

I would in a heartbeat.

I agree with everyone else. I just bought my first iMac (new, b/c we live in Germany & my pc laptop died all of a sudden. We bought it on base.). But I have purchased 4 iPods (3 Nanos and 1 Touch) refurb. from the Ape online store and all have been 100% worry-free! Good luck with your purchase!

Yup. We have purchased 2 Macbooks, 2 iMacs, 4 ipod shuffles, an ipod, an ipod nano and a time machine refurbished over the last 5 years. Every item is still working.

The deals are good, the customer service is great and you can still purchase the added apple care if you want it. We are actually getting ready to replace our 5 year old iMac and 3 year old Macbook pro and both will be with refurbished products again (they will be handed down to the kids, my husband needs new ones for the business software he uses).

An eMac, iMac, 3 iBooks, 2 MacBooks and 3 iPhones refurbished. Apple gives the same warranty as on their new products. I've bought all from Apple except the iPhones (AT&T). we still have everything but the eMac and I only sold it because I got the iMac.

I LOVE Apple!!

And now, *anj* - do tell -

Where's your best source?

Dd18 is looking at a MacBook to buy: my Dad gets a 15% discount, but wondering if refurbished might be a better option for her.

Spill it!

You can get an Educator's Discount directly from Apple, although that doesn't apply for a refurb. I think they'll give you a discount on any software you get installed, though. I would prefer to deal only with Apple if I were to buy any kind of refurbished computer. They have pretty good deals on those.

I actually work for the Fruit.

First, know that Refurbished does not always means something was wrong with it. Many times people return them because it was not what they needed, ie not enough RAM, etc. It's a 14 day return window, so it's not as if they had them that long.

Here's the company policy on Refurbished:

They are thoroughly tested and anything not up to Apple's high standards is replaced. We replace the battery, give it a new case, clean it, and inspect it again! Plus, we give it a new serial number so there is no question about who the Mac belongs to.

Plus as far as it being outdated, nothing that is sold THAT outdated.

Plus most Macs have the capacity to be expanded, meaning you can add a faster processor, more RAM, etc.

I would in a heartbeat.

thanks for the info, I am interested :)

---Lisaj