Menu

wardrobe help!

I just had a baby and my chest is now huge (DDD) The rest of me just doesn't match! I just tried on some XL t-shirts which barely strech around my chest, but are huge in the shoulders.

Does anyone else have this problem? Where do you buy clothes? Are there styles that work well with this problem? Stores? I wondered if plus-size stores would have anything? Even my maternity clothes barely contain them and most of them have a band just under the chest, which doesn't really go well with nursing. Anybody have any ideas?

After my last I was a 40G. Get some really good supportive, well-fitting bras. That's my advice. X-large tops fit me just fine as long as I had a good bra. V-necks look a lot better than the traditional round neck and DO NOT WEAR TURTLENECKS. :001_smile: Also layering with an open vest or jacket or just a long-sleeved button-down shirt seems to take some of the heat off the X-large bosoms.

Oh.. And don't get empire tops that tie or cinch under the bust line. Those just aren't going to fi.

The ideal solution is to buy shirts that fit through the chest and have a seamstress take them up for you everywhere else. Most seamstresses don't charge that much for alterations, or if you have a sewing machine, you can do it yourself. Nip them in at the shoulder/armhole seam, and add darts (or take them in further at the existing darts) as needed in the waist area.

Thanks for the ideas- anybody have advice on where to get a really good nursing bra. I have a bunch and don't really like any of them. But that suggestion of a good bra could probably help.

I'll see if my mom thinks she could take things in in the shoulders....hmmm....I hadn't thought of a seamstress.

I have this problem every day! If a shirt fits in the bust, it rarely fits anywhere else. They usually end up swallowing me and making me look huge everywhere. If anyone has any brands or stores that sell shirts that solve this problem, you would be my new hero!

All of mine are from Motherhood Maternity and I don't like any of them. I was hoping there was something out there that I'd missed. I have a couple of nursing tanks from Target to wear under shirts (basically to cover my belly while nursing). They are super comfy by themselves, but feel bulky under anything with a fitted cut, also they make me look like I only have one, iykwim. Any other advice?

I have the same problem. I am a size 4 with narrow hips, shoulders, etc. but my chest (esp. while nursing) is huge.

First of all, check out Bravado brand nursing bras. They are hands-down the best nursing bras, IMO. Way better than anything at Motherhood in terms of comfort and support for a larger-chested woman.

For shirts that fit, check out the petite department. I find that an XL petite is not as long as a regular XL, and it tends to be narrower in the shoulders. I like something with a little stretch (in an XL or even a XXL) because then it tapers below the bust instead of billowing out. I agree with the person who said V-necks and sweater sets to help visually. I also love a zip-up hoodie over a T-shirt. Easy access for nursing, and something about the zip and the way it drapes seems to hide the huge "girls." They make some zip up cardigans that look nicer for going out.

For church, I have had a couple of nicer blouses tailored. I bought XL button downs (on sale at Talbot's) and then a friend took them in (they have sort of "princess seams" on the torso, so it was easy to do). Maybe you could look for something that is seamed that way so it would be an easy fix.

HTH!