Menu

Anyone read The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake?

I just finished it last night and can't stop wondering about Joseph (the brother). What in the world happened to him? I'm very confused...

Other than that, I think I liked it. The writing was so descriptive! Lots of metaphors. I kept finding myself smiling at the writing... even in the not-so-happy places, simply because I could picture/taste/smell/feel everything so clearly.

I just finished it last night and can't stop wondering about Joseph (the brother). What in the world happened to him? I'm very confused...

Other than that, I think I liked it. The writing was so descriptive! Lots of metaphors. I kept finding myself smiling at the writing... even in the not-so-happy places, simply because I could picture/taste/smell/feel everything so clearly.

I re-read the Joseph parts several times and I'm still at a loss.

Even so, I really liked the book. I enjoyed her writing, and I really loved some of her characters. They all stayed with me for days.

My understanding is that Joseph is able to become the chair, or be one with the chair so to speak. Rose says he told her at different times he'd been the bed and some other furniture as well. It's his special "thing" like Rose's is the food and their father's has something to do with the hospital.

My understanding is that Joseph is able to become the chair, or be one with the chair so to speak. Rose says he told her at different times he'd been the bed and some other furniture as well. It's his special "thing" like Rose's is the food and their father's has something to do with the hospital.

Why doesn't he ever come back after the last time, and how does Rose know that he's not coming back?

Why doesn't he ever come back after the last time, and how does Rose know that he's not coming back?

Let me try and remember...I think he doesn't come back because of his awkwardness. He barely interacted with his family even before he learned about his "talent." I think that living in the world was just too much for Joseph. I don't know if Rose doesn't know he won't come back and maybe that's why she keeps the chair with her and asked him to always choose the chair she marked. I think she asked Joseph why that chair the last time he came back, but I can't remember his response.

It's been a month or two since I read it, and I was very puzzled too, but I find myself thinking about the ending now and again.

• 6 months later...
Guest smoyer

I agree the book was well written, but it reminded me of a Hitchcock movie - you had to figure out the details for yourself. Like you - I wanted to know what happened to Joseph. Do you think he had a high level functioning of autism?

Guest smoyer

I agree the book was well written. I was wondering if Joseph had a high level functioning of Autism. I thought it was interesting that the father was a lawyer but seemed clueless about his wife's feelings.

I listened to about half of it last summer and couldn't really get into it...although it was well written. I just finished a book that reminded me of it...The Girl who Chased the Moon. It made me crave cake sooooo hard. :laugh: