Menu

Help with Attitude

Guest mrsjamiesouth

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I asked, no begged, to be allowed to homeschool. We gave it a trial and dh liked the results, so the kids have all been home for 4 years now. I have always stayed home since we had our first baby. I wanted to stay home and be with them. So...why do I have a bad attitude most days? Why am I sick and tired of kids always being underfoot, and the house stays a mess? Before homeschooling I used to always have guests over, I always baked extravagant treats for all holidays, I used to get dressed in the morning, and my house was spotless. At any given time there could be a dozen kids over, and I loved it.

It seems like it doesn't matter if I get dressed or clean because nobody but the kids will see me. I think about doing special things for holidays but before I know it the holiday is here and I haven't done anything. How do you "shake" yourself up and motivate yourself to get things done?

Sounds like you are in a rut. Make some small changes. Get dressed in the morning and put on a bit of makeup just to make you feel good. Have the kids help straighten the house when it's bugging you. Put aside a day at holiday time - no schoolwork! - just bake cookies or decorate; the kids will love it. Also, what have you done for yourself lately? Go out and do something alone or with a friend. Everyone needs some me-time.

I needed a "school is done" time. It was for me, not the kids. I also need a time at night when I'm done. I try not to do anything after 9:00, except maybe fold the wash. I found that the constant going and doing was burning me out.

Do shower and get dressed each morning. Fly lady (I don't follow her stuff, but this is a good suggestion) said to put on your shoes. I have house shoes, shoes I only wear inside and have good support. But this way I am completely dressed.

Do have afternoon pick-ups. 2 of your kids are old enough to help get all of the clutter out of the way. Even if things don't get clean, clearing the clutter makes me feel better.

If you don't normally go anywhere, then do make a day out. When the kids were younger and we didn't have a million activities, we had a library day. The kids and I both looked forward to that little shake up in our routine.

Homeschooling is hard and can become monotonous and draining, you have to do things for yourself to recharge.

HTH