Menu

I need a Poetry study, please

Karen in CO

In the spirit of our non-traditional fourth grade year, we will be doing a detailed poetry study including rhyming schemes, meter, metrical patterns, and all that detailed stuff that I never studied. I need something that really gets you to work with different rhyming types and poetic forms not something that has you just memorize poems, poets and names of things.

btw - poetry was studied as part of grammar in ancient Rome - wish I new that when I was buying stuff for the year.

Please give me some ideas so I'm not just poetry. :)

Thanks

We're going to start with MCT's Building Poems this week, using Figuratively Speaking for additional exercises in rhyme, alliteration, assonance, consonance, stanza/form, metaphor, personification, and end-stopped/end-jammed poems :) This is for a 10yo who has had some poetry each year in private school prior to this. She also likes creative writing.

(Can you tell I just went through both books to match up sections? :lol: )

We're doing Exploring Poetry this year.

Oh I love the look of that. I have got Kick In The Head out of the library and it's a beautiful book! Does it cover all the meter etc?

We used Grammar of Poetry by Logos a couple of years ago. LOVED it.

Hmm this also looks wonderful. Is it best done one lesson per week? How long does each lesson take?

Hmm this also looks wonderful. Is it best done one lesson per week? How long does each lesson take?

I taught one lesson a week in a 45 min class. Some weeks they still had homework. We really had a lot of fun with it. That year for the One Act Play competition we did a play on the kids of Teresenstadt- much of the dialog was poetry the kids at the concentration camp had written. While it was sad poetry- the kids really got into the rhyme and meter- they GOT it.