Menu

Traditional Math vs. Non-Traditional Math

Tidbits of Learning

We brought our kids home out of ps last year after them being in ps using Houghton Mifflin. Houghton Mifflin did not teach the math facts by rote and mostly used a number line and tricks-double facts +1...

So last year, we used Singapore. However, we did not use the HIG's b/c we were using an all in one that had activities to replace the HIG and textbook or so I thought. We really made zero progress in math with my older girls who tested in at 2a/2b.

They bombed the math computation part of the CAT, but were advanced in the math concepts and applications. We did Seton Math 3 over the summer and it went well.

We started this year with Singapore Math, but with the HIG and textbooks as well. I started to panic about math facts and such and the testing we have to do at the end of the year.

I have Abeka 2 for my 2nd grader and R&S 4 for my 4th and 5th grader for a back up more traditional math approach. I am unsure whether I want to completely ditch Singapore Math for traditional Math. I am unsure whether switching to traditional math will solve the problem.

I have debated doing both traditional and Singapore, but this seems like a lot of math. How do you know when a method just isn't going to work for you and when to switch? How do you decide whether to combine methods without burning out the child on math?

Should I just choose one or the other and then stick with it?

Thanks for any help on this matter. DS7 did finish almost all of Abeka math 1 alongside Singapore last year, but it was a lot of math. I just really need to feel some peace about math. I will purchase the more traditional approach and then read through the HIG's and think this is so great also. Yet, I also need them to test on grade level this year.

What would you do?

If they tested as "advanced" in math concepts using Singapore, then I certainly wouldn't drop it. With Singapore, students are expected to work on math facts & drill in addition to the text & workbook — it sounds like they weren't getting the separate math facts practice. I'd just get some flashcards or use a computer game like Facts First to practice the facts and continue with Singapore. You don't need a whole separate program just to teach math facts.

Jackie

Guest homeschoolfor3

Singapore math is very advanced with math concepts, specially as the grades advanced. I've used it very successfully, but they do not give enough drill. In the lower grades (up to grade 3-4), I've supplemented with Abeka, but for the higher grades, I've used the straight forward series, drill sheets, ALEKS and Mathletics. By fifth grade singapore is two years ahead of the regular US curriculum, but for most children, more drill and review is needed. Singapore also has Extra Practice and word problems, but I think its good to use US curriculum for testing. I've successully used Singapore, while using two years ahead of the US curriculum. For example, Singapore 5a while pre-algebra with my six year old, and 6a with beginning algebra for my 8 year old.

If they tested as "advanced" in math concepts using Singapore, then I certainly wouldn't drop it. With Singapore, students are expected to work on math facts & drill in addition to the text & workbook — it sounds like they weren't getting the separate math facts practice. I'd just get some flashcards or use a computer game like Facts First to practice the facts and continue with Singapore. You don't need a whole separate program just to teach math facts.

Jackie

This is how they scored-

ds7 (1st grade at the time)-Math computation-stanine 2; math concept and application-stanine 5

dd9 (3rd grade at the time-8 at the time)-math computation-stanine 4; math concept and application-stanine 7

dd10 (4th grade at the time-9 at the time)-math computation-stanine 3; math concept and application-stanine 7

Stanine 1-3=below-average performance

Stanine 4-6=average

Stanine 7-9=above average

I am concerned b/c the girls are in 4th and 5th grade, but still doing 2b in Singapore moving into 3a/3b. ds7 who is in 2nd is redoing 1a/1b this year. He finished 1a last year but we didn't do it the right way. The girls finished through 2b, but again without the HIG's and such. So we started back at 2b.

I have back up traditional math-Abeka 2 and R&S Math 4. I intended to switch to them from Singapore to bring up the math computation grades. As long as their math total is a stanine of 4 or better then we are alright testing wise. ds7's math total last year was a 3 stanine so I have to get his up to a 4 this year. dd's were a 4 and 5 stanine b/c their concept and application scores are high.

I can't have him have a bad test score this year. It is stressing me a bit. I am debating about whether to just do Singapore math and see how they test in April. We test the same week as the public school. Then if their scores aren't improved doing the R&S 4 and Abeka 2 over the summer.

I am nervous about putting my eggs all in one basket so to speak and gambling on the test results.

So it isn't the end of the world if the math computation isn't there yet? We have hot dots flash cards and I bought the masterpak 1 from Calculadder.

I just thought it was so odd for their math scores to be so far off from each other. The computation being below average but the concept and application being above average or at least 3 stanines higher than the computation.

This is only our 2nd year homeschooling and so far math is the only thing I am totally stressing over all the time. I keep wondering if we are using the right program, if they are where they need to be, does it matter what level they are using compared to their actual grade??? And of course, the dreaded "test" at the end of the year for my 4th and 5th graders. I tested my ds7 last year but he doesn't "have" to test until 3rd grade. It was more for me to see where we need to work and to get him used to the test when it doesn't matter what he scores.

So it isn't the end of the world if the math computation isn't there yet?

I just thought it was so odd for their math scores to be so far off from each other.

It's definitely not the end of the world! Memorizing math facts and understanding math concepts use two different parts of the brain, and often develop asynchronously — it's very common for math computation to lag behind conceptual understanding, or vice versa. If you add in some facts drill this year, you should be fine by the time you test in April. IMHO it's much harder to improve conceptual understanding in a child who's "not getting it," than it is to increase computation speed and accuracy. Your kids will be fine. :001_smile:

Jackie

It's definitely not the end of the world! Memorizing math facts and understanding math concepts use two different parts of the brain, and often develop asynchronously — it's very common for math computation to lag behind conceptual understanding, or vice versa. If you add in some facts drill this year, you should be fine by the time you test in April. IMHO it's much harder to improve conceptual understanding in a child who's "not getting it," than it is to increase computation speed and accuracy. Your kids will be fine. :001_smile:

Jackie

I have asked so many math questions on this board about programs and what to do in regard to math, but this is really helpful. I kept thinking we are just stuck here b/c dd doesn't have the facts down. Looking at it from the opposite perspective that she understands the how and why behind math, but just doesn't have multiplication and division down pat yet is a much better outlook.

I am glad that I posted yet another math thread. I think I must have worded this one just right.

Thanks to everyone who replied. It has been really helpful.

Val