Menu

anyone in the McKinney/Denton TX area?

newhsmommy

We are in Denton! There is a TON of stuff going on in the Denton area. I think the local homeschool group does a couple curriculum swaps each year. They do a big back to school bash each year. I want to say there is 2 or 3 different co-ops in town. We do a science class once a week with Apologia science. LOVE homeschooling in Denton.

We are in McKinney. There are so many resources here it is crazy!

McKinney has MARCH, which is a support group with an enrichment coop.

Frisco has Frisco HIS, which is a support group with tons of field trips, park days and that sort of thing. There are over 300 families in this one.

They are Christian groups. There is another group in McKinney that is not faith-based - Alpha Homeschoolers, I think.

There is a new coop in Prosper (I think that's where they are meeting) which is not enrichment, but actual courses for the upper grades. It was started based on the success of a similar coop in Richardson.

The major homeschool convention/book fair is in Arlington each May. There is also a smaller one in Plano each August.

I know that the support groups in McKinney, Frisco, Richardson and Plano (and probably others) have used book sales every spring before the book fair in Arlington. They are usually pretty good.

I hope that helps. We have dear friends who are realtors if you need a referral. Completely trustworthy and knowledgeable of the market.

If you want info on neighborhoods and that sort of thing, feel free to message me.

Also, there are a number of university model schools in the area, if that is something you are interested in.

We used to live just outside the city limits of McKinney. So far as I know there is only one inclusive hs group in the area.

http://sailhomeschoolers.org/

I found it very frustrating that although there were at least 5 co-ops within 20 minutes of my house, we couldn't participate in any of them because they all required a statement of faith. I ended up starting my own inclusive co-op, but then I moved away two years later. SAIL started up after I moved.

That is the group I was referring to, I don't know why I called it alpha homeschoolers.

They have park day right by my house.

ETA:

I don't know about any of the other groups, but Frisco HIS doesn't require a statement of faith, per se. They do require that you sign a statement acknowledging that the leadership of the group runs the group according to a statement of faith. You don't have to agree with the statement, just agree that they will operate the group according to those values. Tomatoes, Tomahtoes, maybe, but I just wanted to clarify. It is definitely a Christian group in feel and function.

Edited by Amy loves Bud

The Allen library is fantastic.

I don't know if they still do it, but when we lived there, they would give a free library card to anybody who lived in the county.

We were just 1/4 mile outside the city limits of McKinney, but we couldn't get a card there without paying for it, so we only used the Allen library.

Allen also had an agreement with the Plano library system (don't know if they still do) so you could get books from that system on your card too. You could even return the books at the Allen library.

The Allen library is fantastic.

I don't know if they still do it, but when we lived there, they would give a free library card to anybody who lived in the county.

We were just 1/4 mile outside the city limits of McKinney, but we couldn't get a card there without paying for it, so we only used the Allen library.

Allen also had an agreement with the Plano library system (don't know if they still do) so you could get books from that system on your card too. You could even return the books at the Allen library.

Allen and Plano are separating as of 10/15 so they won't be doing inter-library loans anymore and you cannot return items at either location. I'm pretty sure that I can get a free card even tho I live in Plano once this takes place. The Allen library is SO worth the drive.

Looks like we aren't to far from each other Angie:)

I'm in North Texas, too, though further south from the area you mention. Wanted to toss out a good used curriculum store - The Book Cover - in North Richland Hills. It is a great resource and not far from where you are moving.

YAY!! Didn't know about this:) Is it quite a bit different than Mardel?

Edited by OregonNative

about 25 minutes south of Denton.

We don't belong to any groups. Every. single. one. we have tried has been either TOO religious or the extreme opposite. Either there was constant praising going on or every other word out of the kids mouths was offensive...we don't do groups that try to pressure us.

We just do our own thing. Dd plays club soccer and will be going to UNT in Denton next fall. Ds does stroke school and summer swim team at our local school district's aquatics center. We really haven't needed the co-op experience or homeschool group. We move along happily on our own.

And another vote for visiting The Book Cover. Also, The Home Educator's Resource in Lewisville is a good source for curricula as well. And Mardel's abounds here!

Let us know when you arrive. Good luck with your move.

We are in Little Elm...near Frisco and Mckinney. It's a great place to homeschool!

We joined Denton Classical Education Co-Op this year and are loving it. We have classes for History, Science, Writing, Literature, Art, PE, Latin, and Spanish. Essentially we do all of our reading at home and the kids get to do the activities and projects at co-op. The co-op isn't religion-based, but religious discussion is allowed and a prayer is said during assembly.

We are also a part of Frisco H.I.S. and are truly benefiting from the support and field trips offered.

Lewisville (about 15 miles from us) has a great little store called Home Educators Resource. They have new and used curriculum, plus they also provide co-op classes. I usually find myself browsing their shelves at least once a month...it's a guilty pleasure of mine.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow! This is great information. We just moved to Providence Village, near Denton and are still trying to find the right fit for classes, sports, online groups, etc. Is there a specific forum for WTM or classical education in the Denton or greater DFW area?

Thanks,

Lisa

Wow! This is great information. We just moved to Providence Village, near Denton and are still trying to find the right fit for classes, sports, online groups, etc. Is there a specific forum for WTM or classical education in the Denton or greater DFW area?

Thanks,

Lisa

I don't know about a specific forum, but there is a yahoo group called HSM2HSM. It is for homeschoolers in the area. If you ask questions there, someone will know of the resource if it exists.