Menu

Anybody else feel the mood/tone of the board has changed

It just feels like the mood or tone of the board is different.

How so? A number of people have replied and I'm curious if those who agree with you have addressed your concerns/observations. There are more active participants now, no question; to that end, there is a loss of "small-town" community. As others have pointed out, there are pros and cons to that...

so I really can't say I notice a difference. I will say that the longer I've been here, the more I appreciate you all! Honestly? This forum is my life-line some days. I have friends IRL, but b/c our lifestyles and life seasons are so very different (none of my IRL good friends hs and some of my very dear friends are in completely different seasons of life) I don't see them or speak to them very often anymore. I come here for my socialization, my adult conversation, encouragement, shoulders to cry on, advice, place to vent, talk through my decisions, etc. Most everyone is gracious, helpful, respectful, kind, considerate, etc. I appreciate those of you who let me cry and offer your shoulder, but I also appreciate those of you who "tell me like it is" (gently) and put me in my place. I have one friend IRL who does this, but we don't talk a lot anymore. So, basically...not sure about the tone changing but I just wanted to chime in and express my heartfelt gratitude and appreciation for all of you! :grouphug:

I agree that we had our share of tense moments on the old board too. I think that one difference is that in the old format the boards would flip. We knew that if there was an unpleasant discussion further down the board, eventually it would go away when the new board appeared. I know some of you remember how many times we purposely did silly things just to get the board to flip. It was like starting anew.

I really miss flipping the board, and then racing to the new one (what on earth was wrong with us? :D). Leaving old threads back where they'd never be seen again. But that was the only cool thing we had! Now we have so many gadgets and buttons, I almost don't know how to play with them all. (I'm easily entertained). I have to say it's definitely easier to ignore something if you don't have to scroll past it every time you want to read the board.

I agree it goes in cycles, but the cycles are definitely noticeable. But I also think that just people in general go in cycles (of moods) throughout the year.

And now because I feel weird about having dreamt about neg reps, let me also say I once dreamed about the TOG (Tapestry of Grace) program being a hotel and my not finding my way through to my room. I've never used TOG. I could easily write a book about my strange dreams. :)

I used TOG for a year and I can see WHY you would have that dream! :willy_nilly: :D

Side note: I wasn't really talking specifically of you...just the idea in general. Sorry if I offended!!

Before, it was known very quickly who was new and who was a regular. Now, it seems like EVERYONE is new, especially with the loss of so many regulars who are not a part of this new shiny format.

I miss a lot of veterans that thumped me on the head, I learned so much in the last 2 years from them. I know *I* have changed, especially this year, I cringe at some of the old posts I find that I wrote in the beginning.

I miss being able to see ALL of the conversations happening and see the gist of a thread based on the titles. I miss the fluid, openness of the old board, here each conversation seems like an entity of itself- disconnected from the rest.

At the old board, no one cared how many rep points they had, what title the board assigned by the number of posts or even really knew what anyone looked like. It was more focused on the conversation at hand than it is now and I see more frivolous posts on the general board than I EVER saw on the old general board. I will say that here people are less likely to be truly snide and attacking, of course that may be a good result of having rep points and private messaging options.

I miss the wit, wisdom and openness of the old board, not to mention the time-saving scroll down the 2-3 days of conversations! Since the board change I've adopted a vision of "is it really worth responding to?" when I see posts that I might wish to respond to. 9 times out of 10, I don't respond whereas before, I probably would have. I don't know why that is. Maybe the time factor and not being able to keep up with multiple conversations on the different boards w/o junking up my email box.

All I know is that I used to learn more from these boards than I do lately.

I like seeing how many people have posted in a thread, and how many have read it.

Dawn,

I like all the things that you mentioned as well. I'm going to go back and rep you because I totally agree with you. But I think that if I had to pick one as my most favorite, it's the one that I quoted above. With the old board I sometimes felt that I was in a room talking to myself. If people didn't comment there was no way to know whether or not anyone had read the post. And that was sometimes frustrating.

This is just so much better in every way. :iagree:

...if you want to avoid seeing certain threads. On the old board, you had to keep scrolling past something, even if you didn't care to see it again, and here...you can just roll on by, and not open it up anymore. ;-)

But the flip side to that is that you have to click on threads to open them, just to know what's going on. I know you can subscribe to threads, etc., but what I enjoy most about the board is just hopping on for a few minutes and seeing what's going on.

It was possible to 'see' EVERYTHING at a glance, on the old board, and it just isn't here. I always search the "New Posts" when I log on, and that's helpful, but it isn't the same. In a way the "New Posts" keeps it quicker, but I'm sure I miss a lot, just because I don't want to open up each. and. every. thread. I do open up most of them, and glance through, in Hybrid mode, and that's helped me regain some of that old feel, but it's definitely changed things for me, as far as involvement.

The combining threads without any way of noting that sort of trips me up in that respect, too; I might think that someone else is just commenting on an old thread, and not read it, not realizing that the OP made a new update, and Admin. combined it with the old thread.

And...I can't help but think that there's WAY much more traffic than there was, on the old board. I don't know if Admin. tracked it, before, but that would be interesting to know; how much the traffic has increased, with the format change. That can't help but figure in to a change in tone.

So, I do think that a lot of the sense of 'community' that we had on the old board is gone, I think, because of that...but it's still a great resource, and the new format has many features to recommend it.

I kind of feel that the tone is more positive, overall, but it might be because, as I said...I can ignore certain things much easier.

I like this board for similar reasons.

On the old board, I couldn't STAND that a person could write her entire response in the subject line! I felt as if people developed a one-liner, sound-bite response style that could be snarky.

And it was hard to miss when someone's snarky response was in the entire subject line!