Menu

So, if you felt the quake, did you call 911?

If you did, why??? LOL

It seems our local 911 unit was overloaded to the point of crashing when the quake hit because so many people called. What, exactly, are the police supposed to do about an earthquake? I don't get why people would call 911 over this. It's not a seismic activity reporting agency, and had people really needed help, they wouldn't have been able to get it.

Maybe they thought it was a gas explosion or??? Back after 9/11, we had a couple Air Force planes zip overhead and there was a sonic boom. Folks poured out of their houses in a panic. I was the only person who had heard a sonic boom before (again - S. California kid) and was able to tell my neighbors what it was. And, eventually, the tv news caught up with me and reported to all and sundry that it was a sonic boom ;)

Maybe they thought it was a gas explosion or??? Back after 9/11, we had a couple Air Force planes zip overhead and there was a sonic boom. Folks poured out of their houses in a panic. I was the only person who had heard a sonic boom before (again - S. California kid) and was able to tell my neighbors what it was. And, eventually, the tv news caught up with me and reported to all and sundry that it was a sonic boom ;)

Ok, that makes sense, then. I grew up in S. CA, too. My father is the NASA Engineering and Safety Center Chief Engineer at Dryden Flight Research Center (Edwards AFB). We heard a LOT of sonic booms! And, I've felt many quakes, so I guess this is more "old hat" for me than many.

I can't say what other people were thinking. I can only speak from my own experience. I lived my first 42 years of life in earthquake country and have felt quite a few. However, the ones that wake you from a sound sleep are few and far between, and when you are suddenly awakened, you are not necessarily thinking coherently. One earthquake in particular rattled our bedrooms windows, which were right above our heads, such that we thought someone was trying to break in. Fortunately, we quickly "came to" and realized what was going on. I can well understand that someone who was not familiar with earthquakes (and it was reported that the quake in question was the strongest in 40 years in the area) might think someone was trying to break into his home and call 911.