Menu

Library etiquitte....

Let's go over library etiquette.

1. Don't park your bulk in front of the book drop and have a personal conversation with the librarian for 10 minutes, especially when a person with a huge book bag and a 2 yr old are waiting.

2. Don't set your purse on the mouse-pads of adjoining computers.

3. When the person next to you shifts your purse so they can use 2 squ. in. of mouse pad space, don't give them a dirty look!

Anyone else want to add anything?

Edited by fairfarmhand

This was from my experience at the library today:

Don't wander off leaving your 2-year-old daughter in the children's section all by herself. When the librarian does track you down, don't act all put out because you are expected to supervise your own small child. :mad:

Don't check out your books then go to the bathroom. And especially don't sit your newly checked out books on the nasty sink.

Don't you dare ask me again how much I love being a grandma! I am only 40 and these are my children!

Don't laugh when your kids are caught moving books around on the shelves and deliberately putting them in the wrong places - sometimes many aisles away.

The children's section of the library is not a playground. When your children begin using the furniture like a jungle gym and begin running foot races around the stacks at top speed and you begin to look and feel uncomfortable, honor that instinct and STOP YOUR CHILDREN. When the librarian must come out from the back office of the library and reprimand your children for you, don't have the nerve to be offended.

Don't be a librarian who hates children. The same librarian speaks in a tone of voice equal to yelling and then tells the children they are too loud.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: Also, don't be a librarian if you dislike people of any age. Really. And perhaps you might want to have some knowledge of, oh I don't know... books, maybe?!

:iagree::iagree::iagree: Also, don't be a librarian if you dislike people of any age. Really. And perhaps you might want to have some knowledge of, oh I don't know... books, maybe?!

And if you don't like working with the general public or helping them, have an abrasive personality, and don't have many social skills to speak of, you probably should rethink the idea of being a public services librarian.

Don't chat away on your cell phone while browsing the shelves, using the computers, or really at all while in the library!

:iagree: I work in a library. No one pays any attention to the signs requesting they take their cell phone calls in the foyer. I like kids, I like helping people, I think I'm friendly, I try not to be loud. I am very familiar with kids' books, handy as I work in the children's dept.

If you have $100 in lost book fees, don't get ticked off at ME because I won't check anything out to you.

If you have never touched a computer before, please don't come into the library and expect personalized computer instruction. Unfortunately, I do not have 30 minutes to devote solely to you. I probably would if I could, but I can't.

Do not come in 5 minutes before closing time and attempt to check out 30 books.

And if you don't like people, for heaven's sake, do not work at the library. (I really should write an etiquette list for library staff.:glare:)

This was from my experience at the library today:

Don't wander off leaving your 2-year-old daughter in the children's section all by herself. When the librarian does track you down, don't act all put out because you are expected to supervise your own small child. :mad:

One of our libraries sits right next door to the police station. Big huge sign at the entrance says not to leave any child under 9 years old unattended as they will be taken next door for you to pick up. And the librarians DO on a regular basis. I can't imagine how scary it is to not know where your little one is, but then to learn you get to go to the police station to collect them! According to the librarians it has worked wonders since first implemented several years ago.....seems non of the regulars are guilty anymore, lol.

If you like this thread, you might enjoy reading the comic "Unshelved", about the folks who work in or are patrons of a library.

http://www.unshelved.com/2002-2-16

We love it.

They've done favorable homeschooling strips in the past, and have sold t-shirts that say "Library Schooled" in their shop. They also run an annual bookcart decoration contest.

Let's go over library etiquette.

2. Don't set your purse on the mouse-pads of adjoining computers.

Anyone else want to add anything?

Hmm.... I thought we might go to the same library but I don't think mine has mouse pads.....

As to rules to add: Don't let your kids knock me over while I'm crouched down, trying to look at materials on the low shelf.

Do not come in 5 minutes before closing time and attempt to check out 30 books.

My mother works in a library that has absolutely NO limits on the number of books a person can check out. She would be thrilled with the person who came in right before closing and only wanted 30 books. They also only recently limited the number of DVDs to 100 per person. Why? Because of the person who came in and tried to check out 200 DVDs for her lovely children to watch on a long weekend!:001_huh:

ETA And as for adding to the rules: Don't come to the library only to refuse let your child check out the book they are begging to take home because you've already picked out 6 princess movies for her to watch.

Edited by bairnmama

My mother works in a library that has absolutely NO limits on the number of books a person can check out. She would be thrilled with the person who came in right before closing and only wanted 30 books. They also only recently limited the number of DVDs to 100 per person. Why? Because of the person who came in and tried to check out 200 DVDs for her lovely children to watch on a long weekend!:001_huh:

Wow. I doubt my little library even has 200 DVDs.

Someone can check out 100 DVDs??? Wow. Our library limits it to 10 - and a total of 30 items per card. 4 items per Dewey decimal number or author...

Our library limits you to 99 items per card. Ask me how I know...

It's not our local library (at which the librarians have an attitude a librarian friend described as "these are my books, and I *might* let you borrow them", as opposed to "these are *your* books; I'm just taking are of them until you need them), but it's worth the trip.

If you end up checking out something that is damaged, please turn it in to the librarians. I have had so many books lately w/ broken spines & a few dvds that were horribly messed up. I always take them in to the desk & point it out to the librarians so they can pull it & either repair it or replace it. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only patron doing so....

One of our libraries sits right next door to the police station. Big huge sign at the entrance says not to leave any child under 9 years old unattended as they will be taken next door for you to pick up. And the librarians DO on a regular basis. I can't imagine how scary it is to not know where your little one is, but then to learn you get to go to the police station to collect them! According to the librarians it has worked wonders since first implemented several years ago.....seems non of the regulars are guilty anymore, lol.

Hopefully the lesson made enough of an impact that the offenders are applying it in other situations and not leaving their children unattended any where else.

ETA And as for adding to the rules: Don't come to the library only to refuse let your child check out the book they are begging to take home because you've already picked out 6 princess movies for her to watch.

I can't imagine someone checking out 200 DVD's. 100 is really way too many:lol:

I refused to let my 4yo check out yet another Spot book when we came to the library to get a Shaun the Sheep DVD. I had to laugh when I heard myself saying "No! We're not checking out any books today!" But I don't feel guilty about it. I am sick to death of Spot, and we have tons of library books at home. :tongue_smilie:

My rule: librarians need to respect the "quiet study area." I gave up trying to get work done at the library in the evenings, because even with earplugs, I could hear one particular librarian's personal phone calls. One time, during a call that was CLEARLY personal, I politely asked her to keep her voice down. After she finished her phone call she charged over and berated me for disturbing her while she was conducting library business. Then she spent the rest of the evening very loudly slamming around (reshelving) items near me. *sigh*

Edited by jplain

Don't come to the library only to refuse let your child check out the book they are begging to take home because you've already picked out 6 princess movies for her to watch.

Ugh, I see this all the time. The parents stock up on as many kid movies as possible with their cards but NEVER check out a single book for those kids.

One more rule: Please do not leave your small child unattended while YOU spend an hour on Facebook or Farmville and expect that child to entertain himself. Your kid really would like to spend time with you.

In the same vein as the library playspaces where you're not allowed to play...

Do not set up a special children's computer with lots of games specifically for preschoolers then yell at the preschoolers for using it.

AND... if you do set up such a computer and put a 15 minute limit on its use, do not set up games that take 5 minutes to load and half an hour to play.

Actually, just... stop spending so much money on strange new computer resources if you can't even keep your computer catalog working.

Edited by farrarwilliams
typo