Menu

Can FLL stand alone in the early years?

rcom

I am starting FLL with my 1st and 2nd graders (each at their own pace). I have been trying it out using a library copy, which is the old version. I know I can buy a used copy of the first version, but the cleaner-looking revised version appeals to me. Is there enough writing in it to skip WWE for this year for my 2nd grader?

Renata

You'll get a bunch of different opinions on this.... I am one who delayed writing while using Primary and Intermediate Language Lessons by Emma Serl. PLL is marginally similar to FLL, but I thought far better in that it doesn't focus as much on grammar. (I tried FLL, and my kids began to run away yelling, NOOOOO!) :)

With ILL, they wrote their first essay at the end of 4th (ds) and 3rd (dd) and I was beside myself with pleasure at the results.

I *did* find myself wanting to add in formal grammar at about the time they began to write, and am using Michael Clay Thompson Language Arts Curriculum from Royal Fireworks Press in conjunction with the last year of ILL. It's been perfect for us.

I guess what colors my response is that I try to classically educate using Charlotte Mason's principles. I do believe formal writing has been much easier for the dc as a result of delaying it. DD, who had weak fine motor skills in 2nd grade, is now, in 4th, blossoming in her writing. It's been a joy to watch and I'm glad I never pushed in that arena.

In a nutshell: adding in writing in 2nd grade isn't the only way to go, and many good writers have emerged while following a delayed writing program. Don't sweat it.

Edited by Susan in KY
added link

There's hardly any writing in FLL at all. If you're doing written "narrations" in other subjects (history, literature, science) throughout the week, I don't think you *need* to do WWE as well. But no, I wouldn't consider FLL a writing program.

I do think FLL is great. The foundation in grammar has served both of my kids *very* well as they move forward into writing and Latin, etc.

If you're doing the copywork and dictation exercises in FLL 1/2, I think that's all you really need in the primary grades. By 3rd, however, you should be adding in a formal writing program like WWE or something else.

The emphasis in the early years IMHO should be on learning to read fluently and on the mechanics of penmanship. The rest can wait until those basics have been mastered.

I used FLL 1/2 with older dd adding in copywork and narrations in other subjects, or when FLL didn't have any. With my 2nd dd I did WWE and FLL together. I just skipped some of the writing in FLL when I felt that she'd had enough for the day. I loved having the open and go writing ofr my 2nd. It made it so much easier to teach both children when they needed lots of hand holding.

For 3rd I'm doing FLL3 and doing writing in history and science and lit.

BTW, I love the results of FLL. They have a nice selection of poems and they really get to think through the grammar step by step.

HTH