Menu

Accredited diploma. Is it worth the $$$?

I have a question for all you wise ladies.

I've been seeing a lot of online programs starting to seek accreditation for their programs and diplomas. The most recent one is veritas press, which just became an accredited school and now offers accredited diplomas.

Is it worth spending the extra $$$ to get the "accredited" diploma (from VP or any other "accredited" school) versus the "unaccredited" diploma my kids will get from me at the conclusion of our schooling?

Pros / Cons ?

Thanks for any info!

Lavender in Oklahoma

If your dc are potential NCAA athletes or US military academy plebs, then maybe! NCAA can be done as a homeschooler, but the academies require an accredited transcript. As to most other universities, not really. I've read that some state scholarships (read: lottery $$) make it difficult, but I don't think OK is one (FL is not.)

I've been seeing a lot of online programs starting to seek accreditation for their programs and diplomas. The most recent one is veritas press, which just became an accredited school and now offers accredited diplomas.

Is it worth spending the extra $$$ to get the "accredited" diploma (from VP or any other "accredited" school) versus the "unaccredited" diploma my kids will get from me at the conclusion of our schooling?

Pros / Cons ?

Thanks for any info!

Lavender in Oklahoma

I think the answer is it depends. I have never felt the need for an accredited diploma. I have had friends that felt differently. One thing to keep in mind is the diplomas can also hurt and not always be a good thing.

An example of it hurting: A friend's child was homeschooled but used an accredited program. Since the diploma was issued from the "accredited" school which was out of state, she was not considered an instate graduate. This meant she was not eligible for the HOPE scholarship money the state offers to students for attending in state universities.

It had NEVER occurred to me that using an accredited program could cause those kinds of implications.

Conversely, there are situations where apparently having an accredited diploma is a benefit. I am not well versed on those, but I think entrance to any of the military academies might be examples where it helps. (Though I am not sure.)

I think that would depend on a couple of things. First, do you plan to homeschool all of highschool? If your child did have to go to highschool (name the reason) would the high school where they would attend, accept credits that came from a nonaccredited school? I personally don't see the benefit but do understand the reasons that some may pursue this option.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I think the answer is it depends. I have never felt the need for an accredited diploma. I have had friends that felt differently. One thing to keep in mind is the diplomas can also hurt and not always be a good thing.

An example of it hurting: A friend's child was homeschooled but used an accredited program. Since the diploma was issued from the "accredited" school which was out of state, she was not considered an instate graduate. This meant she was not eligible for the HOPE scholarship money the state offers to students for attending in state universities.

It had NEVER occurred to me that using an accredited program could cause those kinds of implications.

Conversely, there are situations where apparently having an accredited diploma is a benefit. I am not well versed on those, but I think entrance to any of the military academies might be examples where it helps. (Though I am not sure.)

It might (I have no idea) but isn't necessary. My friend's ds is currently in his 3rd year (I'm pretty sure it's his 3rd year but it might be his 4th) at WestPoint and he didn't have an accredited diploma.

If your dc are potential NCAA athletes or US military academy plebs, then maybe! NCAA can be done as a homeschooler, but the academies require an accredited transcript. As to most other universities, not really. I've read that some state scholarships (read: lottery $$) make it difficult, but I don't think OK is one (FL is not.)

Not true. It isn't even true that having an accredited transcript increases your chance to get into one of the academies.

I know of 4 homeschoolers coming from 3 different families currently in 2 different schools, West Point and USAFA; all of these kids went in with only mom-made transcripts. They were still considered high school grads.

Kris

Pros / Cons ?

Thanks for any info!

Lavender in Oklahoma

I think it all depends.

I'm starting to keep all of the documentation and information and will probably use NAHRS IF we decide one or both of the kids need an accredited diploma.

For us we don't know one way or the other because we don't know where we'll go or when we'll be where OR what the kids will decide they want to do.

If my son decides he wants to go to one of the service academies, which has been discussed at length, then he will NOT get a NARHS diploma. He doesn't need one.

If one of my kids decide to start university at the age of 15-16, which has great possibilities and NOT plan on going into one of the academies, then I'll probably fork over the cost for the NARHS diploma. Makes our lives easier with the states we could be living.

SO, I guess the answer is... it all depends.

Kris

QUOTE]

WOW!!! It hadn't even occurred to me that an accredited diploma from out of state would make you an out-of-state grad!!!! YIKES! :eek:

DH is faculty at one of the local universities here, and this would have HUGE implications for us (read: faculty kids can go for FREE). We would NOT want dc to be considered Out-Of-$tate $tudent$....COUGH!!!!!! :ack2:

Lavender

The vast majority of homeschoolers do not use the services of accredited schools. They issue their own diplomas and generate their own transcripts. Many of them have successfully fought with colleges over the necessity of their dc having diplomas from accredited schools (it's the school that is accredited, not the diploma).

You and your dc will have to decide whether or not that's important. For most people, it is not.

I chose not to do one because it was a lot of money and I could do everything they delivered. I did take into consideration whether or not my children would need to attend public school. In my state homeschool courses aren't accepted by highschools and you have to test to determine what courses they will give you credit for. We also knew our children would only attend one of our state schools and they didn't require "accredited". To me it's a lot of money and not worth it, at least in our situation. Most colleges I know of don't require "accredited" diplomas but a few do so it's best to check into some of the colleges you even think you might be applying to down the road or be willing to look elsewhere if you run into this. You also must look at the high school situation. If that's what your highschool would require to give your child credit than I would go the "accredited" path. My plan has always been to homeschool through highschool and fortunately nothing stopped that plan but we never know for certain that something might come up and cause us to stop homeschooling (like many have had to do in this economy). So I do think before you start the high school route you really do need to find out how your public or private schools might handle courses you give at home and use that in your decision making process. But to just use it because you think the colleges would be more accepting of it, I think you are wasting your money. Many people keep their own grades, course descriptions, type up their own transcripts and some, like myself, have computer programs that will do all that for us. You don't need an "accredited" program if that's all you're going to us it for. There are much cheaper and, IMO, easier ways to do it.

If you want an UNDERAGE student to start earning a DIPLOMA at a CC, using Federal funds, they will need an accredited diploma or GED.

Wealthier parents have more options. Low income students, planning on starting at a CC, especially while underage, need official paperwork.

That isn't the way all CC handle it. My son is under age and working toward an AA and has recieved a Federal Grant and all he needed was to take a placement test at the community college and my home made diploma. It was not a problem that it was not accredited and he didn't need to get a GED. That may be the way your CC works things but it is not representative of all CC and certainly not my son's

This is another one that depends on the school. Some will only request the CC transcript. In my state they still want the high school diploma but again they don't care whether or not the diploma is "accredited" My son is hoping to transfer next year to a four year college. They asked for all transcripts including high school and SAT or ACT scores. I've heard some say on here that all their college asked for was the Transcript from the CC where the AA was earned. And I've heard some say that they didn't need SAT or ACT scores but like I said earlier it depends on the college.

Not true. It isn't even true that having an accredited transcript increases your chance to get into one of the academies.

I know of 4 homeschoolers coming from 3 different families currently in 2 different schools, West Point and USAFA; all of these kids went in with only mom-made transcripts. They were still considered high school grads.

:iagree: DS was accepted to USAFA and USMA with a mommy transcript, and no CC.

CC's are mixed. I've heard the one around here (that has no course worth taking) requires a GED.

Alyce, you are the very first person I have heard this from. This is very good news. At least up till now, I have heard that ALL CCs were impenetrable to underage students wanting to start working towards a diploma using federal funds, unless they had an accredited diploma or GED.

At the CC my children used, they were the only underage students listed as working towards a diploma. All the other underage students were listed as dual enrolled in high school, and when they reached majority, parents were often able to fight to have the credits applied to a diploma, but none were able to use federal funds until reaching majority.

And this is all I have heard around the country, until this post from you. This is very good news, but i'm thinking rare still.

Edited by Hunter

If you want an UNDERAGE student to start earning a DIPLOMA at a CC, using Federal funds, they will need an accredited diploma or GED.

Wealthier parents have more options. Low income students, planning on starting at a CC, especially while underage, need official paperwork.

Why would an underage student attend a cc to earn a diploma? Why not just earn the GED and then move on to the CC? From what I understand GEDs are not very difficult to earn if the student has an average IQ or higher.

Even better, why wouldn't the student just have his/her parent classify him/her as a homeschooled student, then enroll in CC classes as both a DE student (free tuition, usually for the first 2 classes) and then take the remaining courses need to complete state requirements through either that state's free virtual school (which most states have) or just design his/her own curriculum to accelerate and "graduate"?

I don't quite understand the point of earning a GED. Here in Florida the state 4-year schools will not accept GED grads into their programs until the GED grad attends a comm coll for 2 years and "proves" him/herself as capable of higher ed. Whereas homeschool students are immediately accepted into 4 year schools.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Why would an underage student attend a cc to earn a diploma? Why not just earn the GED and then move on to the CC? From what I understand GEDs are not very difficult to earn if the student has an average IQ or higher.

Even better, why wouldn't the student just have his/her parent classify him/her as a homeschooled student, then enroll in CC classes as both a DE student (free tuition, usually for the first 2 classes) and then take the remaining courses need to complete state requirements through either that state's free virtual school (which most states have) or just design his/her own curriculum to accelerate and "graduate"?

I don't quite understand the point of earning a GED. Here in Florida the state 4-year schools will not accept GED grads into their programs until the GED grad attends a comm coll for 2 years and "proves" him/herself as capable of higher ed. Whereas homeschool students are immediately accepted into 4 year schools.

I believe she is talking about at college diploma, like an AA or AS.

Keep in mind that regulations vary enormously from state to state. In my state, CC is not free for homeschooled high school students and there is no free virtual school, but there are also no state requirements for homeschool graduation and the 4 yr state universities accept GED students with no problem. For us, it actually makes more sense (financially) to graduate a student before they start at the CC, since tuition would be free for graduates (state lottery scholarship) but full price for dual-enrolled homeschooled HS students.

Even for a student who just wants to take one or two courses, the costs and requirements vary quite a bit among the CCs within the state. Some require homeschooled students to be at least 16 yo, others have no age limit and will accept even a 12 yo with permission from the professor. Some charge higher tuition if you're outside of their district and others don't even charge extra if you're out of state. There are so many differences between states, and even within a state, that no one plan will make sense for every homeschooler in every state.

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno
typo

GEDs are not always the best way to go. Many institutions look at GEDs as a solution for dc who have dropped out of school for some reason.

I have several friends in various states whose minor dc are attending community college. They will graduate with associates degrees in various areas.

I can only tell you some of my experiences. I live in PA, one of the most regulated states. We have some really weird things here in the homeschool community, but most of them are urban legends.

1. I graduated my #1dc (ds) at 15 yo with a parent issued diploma and transcript. He went to a private college and then to law school without any problems.

2. My #2 dc (dd) went to Grove City College with a parent issued dipl and trans. She is now pursuing her doctorate at Penn State. Her husband is a homeschooler from MI, went to GCC with a parent issued dipl & trans and is at Penn State working on his doctorate also. Both without any problems.

3. My #3dc (ds) is taking CC classes and only had to take a placement test. No GED, no accredited diploma.

4. I have written recommendations for hsed students who went to West Point without an 'accredited diploma'.

I have never even considered paying for an accredited diploma from some organization. I have not encountered any situations where they were required. Maybe in other states, there are some issues.

Here's a homeschooler admitted to the Coast Guard Academy. :) Don't know if he had to take the GED, but it's not mentioned. Could you imagine after all those academic honors ... :lol: If they did require the GED, maybe that's something he'll work on changing after he graduates. :D

I keep forgetting to include the links. lol

http://www.nj.com/hunterdon-county-democrat/index.ssf/2010/06/clinton_twp_youth_will_attend.html

As Ellie pointed out, this is not true in all states.

My daughter is a very young high schooler (she was in a public charter school until this year, and was legally grade skipped years ago in kindergarten). Where we live, the CC does not care about her age. She can attend CC full-time as a high school junior and senior, and earn an AA or AS degree, regardless of her age. My state gives me the authority as a homeschooling parent to issue a valid diploma for my child. It may not be issued by a regionally accredited organization, but it is a valid diploma according the MN Dept. of Ed. :D

She absolutely will *not* take the GED.

My youngest started college 5 years ago. I really think this is all new, because when everyone was talking about this, right here at this board, there wasn't anyone who knew of even a single case of an underage student using FAFSA funds to attend a CC, without a GED or accredited diploma.

I'm glad to hear things are changing. I'll be sure to stop spreading outdated information. I'm starting to feel old, now :-)

We don't feel the need for an accredited diploma. For the few schools that still require one (see the Carson-Newman thread), we just write them off the list (none were on our list to start with).

I don't know how underage people are talking about with cc. My 16 year old is taking courses at ours - full pay right now, but will possibly need federal aid next semester (due to our personal economy) and it doesn't appear to be a problem. However, he plans to attend a 4 year school in 2 years as a freshman, not as a junior. I don't know if that makes a difference either. We're just using the cc courses to help his application to the 4 year schools he wants to attend (very selective schools). IF we financially need a back up due to not enough merit/need based aid at the privates - our state college will accept all the credits he is earning. It's just not his first choice - nor ours.

My 16 year old is taking courses at ours - full pay right now, but will possibly need federal aid next semester (due to our personal economy) and it doesn't appear to be a problem.

My understanding is that one needs to be a high school graduate to qualify for federal financial aid. The high school can be public, private or homeschool or the student can have a GED, but the student needs to be finished with high school. The age of the student is immaterial in qualifying for federal financial aid.

Regards,

Kareni

There's personal preference. DH is adamant our children receive the same acknowledgment as the public/private high school students so there will be questions for job applications and college applications. We really don't want to go through a portfolio process to apply to college. So yes, we're spending $$$ on diploma programs for all 3 kids because it's important to us. Our justification is that it's still cheaper than private school (cheapest secular private high school we found was $15K/year) and we don't want to use the public school system.

Honestly, I'm pulling together 2 homeschool programs that I am submitting to Keystone National High School for transfer credit. I absolutely hate having to keep track of hours and being sure I have the right assignments to show to them. I have to give them assignments from the beginning, middle, and end of the courses. I can't imagine doing this for every high school course to graduate my children on my own. I guess that means I'm lazy. :)

My understanding is that one needs to be a high school graduate to qualify for federal financial aid. The high school can be public, private or homeschool or the student can have a GED, but the student needs to be finished with high school. The age of the student is immaterial in qualifying for federal financial aid.

From the Federal Student Aid website:

"have a high school diploma or a General Education Development (GED) certificate, pass an ability-to-benefit (ATB) test approved by the U.S. Department of Education, meet other standards your state establishes that the Department approves, complete a high school education in a home school setting that is treated as such under state law, or have satisfactorily completed six credit hours or the equivalent course work toward a degree or certificate."

I don't know how one would show that in GA as they don't list any specific graduation requirements. They just say the child can graduate when they complete what the parent deems to be an appropriate high school education.

From the Federal Student Aid website:

"have a high school diploma or a General Education Development (GED) certificate, pass an ability-to-benefit (ATB) test approved by the U.S. Department of Education, meet other standards your state establishes that the Department approves, complete a high school education in a home school setting that is treated as such under state law, or have satisfactorily completed six credit hours or the equivalent course work toward a degree or certificate."

This could be interesting. If/when we would need aid (next semester) he would have 7 credits already and could go up to full time if we wanted him to. They consider him a student. We haven't 100% graduated him as we want him to go to a 4 year school starting as a freshman due to scholarships he'll be eligible for (probably including a free ride or free tuition at a state school, perhaps similar at private schools) AND the fact that we are die hard "enjoy your four years at college" alumni ourselves. To us, college isn't just about the degree. It's a part of life (for those of us that choose it).

I guess we'll wait another month or so to see how our finances and the economy are going, then talk with financial aid (if necessary) to see what their thoughts are. AP is another option we're considering, but I've yet to talk with my school to see if they would get the tests for us - no school around us offers them. My school is busy prepping for the PSAT still and we just finished some "in school" testing. When they are less stressed I'll ask about AP and see if that's an option for a course or two. :tongue_smilie: