Menu

Does anyone actually school their children...

I am also a facilitator now that my dd is in high school. I think I would be doing her a disservice if I were to be her only teacher. My math, science and English background is pretty good, but I'd have to relearn a lot. For English papers, I'd be much too hard on the grading. I read her finished papers, make suggestions which she doesn't agree with, and she submits what she's done and gets good grades. :lol: I took physics in high school, but I don't remember doing anything like what she's learning now. I'm still able to guide her a bit when she gets the wrong answer, but if she still doesn't get it after knowing the right answer and how they came to that solution, an experienced teacher is needed.

Also for us, my dd really likes having a full lesson plan to follow and being accountable to someone other than me. She says she puts more effort into the classes now that someone else is grading them. She's also competitive by nature, and being with a "school" also helps give her some of this as well. Talking with other kids and knowing what they're doing or what their goals are is helping her to think more about her own. She could easily get this from a co-op or homeschool group, but we're not involved in one.

This thread shows that there are many ways to go about homeschooling. No one way is better than another as each family and each student is different.

We are in TN and have an umbrella school but we are doing everything at home with books, paper and pencils. We are not doing a packaged curriculum...I used some instructor's guides that accompany the textbooks and did lots of research on this site. My daughter says she "will not be farmed out!" This is hard but, if you are not new to homeschooling (we are), I imagine it would be easy to cooperatively form a high school curriculum with the dc. I have researched college apps and it looks like if we build a nice portfolio and provide good course descriptions and jump thru the stand. testing hoops we'll be ok.

But, I can see why parents would run out of steam. But as Dorie says "Just keep swimming."

When I first read about homeschooling, and decided to do it, I had visions of co-ops and various classes, etc. But 1) we just don't have the money and, 2) we have a number of extra-curriculars and I don't want another day where we have to be somewhere on time, and 3) I like teacing my kids at home--I can make it fits the needs of my particular children and family, which makes it the best for us.

I don't know if we'll do dual credit at CC in 11th or 12th. We would have to pay, although it's half-price, I believe. I guess it will depend on the child and what they want to do.

When I first read about homeschooling, and decided to do it, I had visions of co-ops and various classes, etc. But 1) we just don't have the money and, 2) we have a number of extra-curriculars and I don't want another day where we have to be somewhere on time, Amen!

and 3) I like teacing my kids at home--I can make it fits the needs of my particular children and family, which makes it the best for us.

Amen again!

I don't know if we'll do dual credit at CC in 11th or 12th. We would have to pay, although it's half-price, I believe. I guess it will depend on the child and what they want to do.

:iagree: 100% with all of the above!

As the years go by I am finding myself in exactly the same situation. We'll also consider CC classes when the time comes. Every single outside class I've put DS in has turned out to be a big disappointment. (It's not just me--many parents in my area feel the same.) In every case I know I could have done better at home and the assignments just added frustration to our HS experience.

Now, if I had health issues that interfered with my teaching, or a larger family then maybe I'd feel differently. Right now though, I see me continuing to teach at home.

Shannon