Menu

Spent 3 hours yesterday shopping auto insurance...

Mine wasn't even due. Decided to see if I could save money when I saw Clark Howard's report that Consumer Reports had ranked the top companies. We ended up saving $400 getting into USAA (military)! Dh is a veteran and they just changed the qualifications last November to allow veterans. USAA and Amica were the top 2 companies.

I thought it was pretty good pay for 3 hours! In addition, if the company makes money, they refund some of the premiums. Last year everyone got 5% back. I'm excited! Also... now that we're in, my grown kids qualify.

It never hurts to check around every once in a while.

We have USAA insurance. LOOOOOOOOOVE them! I laugh whenever we get "cheap insurance" junk mail (Geico, etc.) because it's always a few hundred dollars ABOVE what we're already paying.

Check out their banking side as well! If you have a bank account with them, you can deposit checks online using your scanner!

I'm a bit puzzled by the "new" rule allowing veterans to qualify. Dh and I have had USAA for over 20 years now, but in those early years he was telling his father about it. Dfil called to see if he was eligible, and he was--based on his service in WWII. Because of that, dh's sisters qualified based on their father's service.

Aha! I just realized that the difference may be related to rank. For a long time USAA was for certain ranks only--was is E-7 and up? Something like that. Dfil had been an officer, so maybe that's what made the difference.

Cinder

We have USAA insurance. LOOOOOOOOOVE them!

:iagree:

We just switched our home owners and autos to them and have been very happy. Our premiums weren't that much of a savings, but every little bit helps. What I can say is their coverage was much better than what we were getting, their customer service has been EXCELLENT, and they are great at explaining everything as well as answering questions.

We opened bank accounts with them as well. :) We are still keeping a local bank just to have one, but switched our direct deposits over to them.

Nothing but positives from here.

We have USAA insurance. LOOOOOOOOOVE them! I laugh whenever we get "cheap insurance" junk mail (Geico, etc.) because it's always a few hundred dollars ABOVE what we're already paying.

Check out their banking side as well! If you have a bank account with them, you can deposit checks online using your scanner!

Same here with the insurance. We've actually had companies call and say "how does $x sound?" And we always say "sounds like more than we're paying now!"

You can also make deposits with your phone! Love that!

I'm a bit puzzled by the "new" rule allowing veterans to qualify. Dh and I have had USAA for over 20 years now, but in those early years he was telling his father about it. Dfil called to see if he was eligible, and he was--based on his service in WWII. Because of that, dh's sisters qualified based on their father's service.

Aha! I just realized that the difference may be related to rank. For a long time USAA was for certain ranks only--was is E-7 and up? Something like that. Dfil had been an officer, so maybe that's what made the difference.

Yes, at one time only officers qualified. Also, children of USAA members qualify for for certain things (I think insurance, but not banking).

Wikipedia has a pretty good record of USAA's eligibility criteria over time:

Historically, only U.S. military officers (among certain other federally sworn officers) were eligible to join USAA, with descendants of USAA members able to purchase insurance from USAA-CIC. It did not matter if one was an active duty or retired officer; one could join at any time. In 1973, membership was opened to members of the National Guard and Reserves, and in 1996, eligibility was expanded to enlisted members of the armed services. As the number of persons who have served on active duty in an enlisted status in the U.S. Armed Forces is quite large, USAA chose to limit the establishment of eligibility to those who were currently on active duty or who had recently separated. The same time limit on establishment of eligibility was then applied to military officers. As USAA's capacity for taking on new members expanded, eligibility criteria relaxed. In 2008, USAA expanded membership eligibility to all military personnel and retirees, and all veterans who separated after 1996. In November 2009, USAA expanded eligibility requirements to offer coverage to anyone who has ever served honorably in the US Military.

Auto and property insurance and some banking services require that the customer meet membership eligibility criteria. USAA investment products as well as deposit-only banking services are available to non-members.

I love USAA!

We've had them for the past 10 years and I don't even shop around anymore, ever.

We had a house fire 4 years ago and they were wonderful! We have their renter's insurance and auto---well, no, we don't currently have their auto insurance, but that's because we live in Japan right now LOL.

Kris

USAA does give back some money to holder but amount varies from year to year. We loved that feature but for us it is no longer possible. Some states are no longer allowing USAA to do that, forget why. So we no longer get these checks but they do use that money towards our next terms insurance rate.

The other thing is that I got USAA because my Dad was an officer and had it. That has been over 30 years now. I have always had access to all aspects of USAA not just their car insurance. In fact they were the first place we went for house insurance and do some banking with them. Never been limited just because of my relationship status.

The other perk is that even though I'm not a veteran and got insurance with them because of my Dad's status, my children can still get USAA because "I" am a member.

You will LOVE being with USAA. Not wishing an accident on you or anything, but just wait until you have a claim. Talk about no hassle! And an accident doesn't make your rates go sky high.

We have auto and house insurance, our mortgage, 3 checking accounts, a savings account, credit card, an investment account, life insurance, paid off now but had a car loan too. Oh...and all our kids have their prepaid credit card through USAA where we transfer their allowance, etc.

Oh and probably my absolute favorite....Deposit at Home. All you need is a scanner and internet and you can deposit your check and it's in your account and AVAILALBLE to use immediately.

The one drag is that USAA doesn't have brick & motar banks in our town....but you can make deposits from home like I said, or you can mail the check to them, and get this they reimburse you the postage used to mail your deposit (or you can request postage paid envelopes for free).

Checks are free too (not fancy, but they work to pay the few bills I still use checks for). And that's not just the first box of checks...we've had our original account with them for 20+ years and never pay for checks.

Questions, problems, they are always polite and always work to resolve it. Unlike other companies where I often have to work through to a supervisor to get anything done, they either handle it or THEY offer to get a supervisor to help find a resolution, AND they stay on the call to help explain what was already discussed/done.

Love em.

Edited: Oh...and USAA didn't take a dime in "bail out" money and are still just as competitive as ever with rates and such. Fiscal responsibility at it's best.

Edited: Oh...and USAA didn't take a dime in "bail out" money and are still just as competitive as ever with rates and such. Fiscal responsibility at it's best.

I remember getting mail from them, pre-housing-bust, saying that they were NOT lowering their standards for giving out loans: to whom, when, and what for. Infact, I'm pretty sure I recall reading in a financial magazine somewhere a few years ago that they were one of the strictest banks when it came to giving out ARM loans. You had to jump through a LOT of hoops to get one from them.

I feel completely safe banking with USAA. :)

Does USAA have local offices? My dh has served in the military and I'd love to check them out. We've had Allstate for years and rates (car and auto) continually goes up with the ole' "rate increase" reasoning :glare:

Blessings,

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

((¸¸.·´ .·´ -:¦:-Tina ~

-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Does USAA have local offices? My dh has served in the military and I'd love to check them out. We've had Allstate for years and rates (car and auto) continually goes up with the ole' "rate increase" reasoning :glare:

Blessings,

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

They are sprouting up around Army bases. Call them and ask where the nearest brick and mortar is. 1-800-531-2265

I remember getting mail from them, pre-housing-bust, saying that they were NOT lowering their standards for giving out loans: to whom, when, and what for. Infact, I'm pretty sure I recall reading in a financial magazine somewhere a few years ago that they were one of the strictest banks when it came to giving out ARM loans. You had to jump through a LOT of hoops to get one from them.

I feel completely safe banking with USAA. :)

We've gotten all our home loans from USAA...but we never did get on the ARM bandwagon, opting instead to go with fixed rates. Our last loan (6 years ago) was a 100% loan because our other house still hadn't sold (in another state). I didn't feel we had to jump through hoops...and honestly was shocked we got the 100% loan, lol. And at only 4.4%. I think a lot of it has to do with all their customers being military (or former military). But...look at their annual report and you'll see that they too were hit with a lot of foreclosures with this economy.....I think the main difference was that they didn't give out a lot of questionable loans like mainstream did.

Blessings,

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

No need for brick and motar local offices (they do have them but not in every state and pretty spread out). Check out their website usaa.com and give them a call....they'll walk through qualifying you based on his military service, and then they'll be happy to explain all the options available.

For those that already have an account of any kind with USAA you can use your member number to get access to the website and get a peliminary quote for homeowner or auto insurance. We have been shopping for a used car and use it to check on the potential insurance costs. They also have a car buying service...the discount on new cars was several thousand dollars over walking on the lot. THey have used cars as well, but so far not what we want.

Blessings,

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

I think the only real "branch" is in San Antonio, but they have "financial centers" (sort of like a mini-bank?) in some locations.

I have Amica and love it. I work for a huge national insurance company and Amica's rates were cheaper even with my discount. I told my dad about USAA and he called and got signed up yesterday. Now I wonder if I can jump on the wagon because he is?

Yes you can! Give them a call.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rogelio_pantoja
Well... what about those of us who are not military? Does anyone know of a great company with lower rates for us? :)

The Hartford- I’ve been with them for ages for both car and home, and always found the customer service nice. Rates are affordable too as compared to most other companies, but then since rates vary for everybody, that’s something you’ll have to check for yourself.