Menu

First Thousand Words in German (Usborne)

I'm a German teacher, I would recommend German Dictionary for Beginners over First 1000 Words. It has phrases that you can use, whereas the First 1000 Words just gives mostly nouns and possibly a couple pages of verbs.

Being your a German teacher..

Can you recommend what to use for beginner German. My dd is 10 and I would like something that we can learn together. starting with the basic basics.. ;)

also something thats low cost would be great. :D thanks

Is this OOP? Are they redoing/updating it? I cannot find it on the Usborne wesbite at all. I did order a paperback version used from amazon, but I wowuld really like the hardback version.

Thanks!

Just curious .. What level are you teaching? Im looking to start German with my dd 10 , not sure what to use.

Thank you for your responses! I'm not really teaching it at the moment. It's more so DD4 and I can look through it and I can say the words for her. There's also the nostalgia of it as my mom had the German, French, and Russian ones when I was a child, and I spent countless hours pouring over them.

It's out of stock on the UK site. Maybe I can pesuade my mom to part w/her copy (or at least give me the ISBN). I will most likely pick up the recommended dictionary since it does have more content. Thank you!

Being your a German teacher..

Can you recommend what to use for beginner German. My dd is 10 and I would like something that we can learn together. starting with the basic basics.. ;)

also something thats low cost would be great. :D thanks

So, if you don't know any German either, I would recommend getting a card game called LinguaFun. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1591253551/edutainingkid-20

It doesn't appear to be available on Amazon, but I bought mine about 5 years ago at Borders or Barnes and Noble in the kids' language section for about $10-15. It comes with a CD that pronounces everything for you, and there's pronunciation on the cards too. There are directions included for how to play about 6 games, variations of concentration, go fish, crazy eights, etc. These cards are especially valuable for German because they reinforce the different German word order (In case you don't know what that is, here's an example. In English we say, "I want to wash the car" and in German they say, "I want the car to wash.")

I don't really know of any good elementary level curriculums for German that would be appropriate for a parent who doesn't know German. I cannot recommend Power Glide Jr. The Learnables seems good *IF* it's compatible with your child's learning style. I like the Muzzy DVDs but they are too expensive new, and some people don't like them.

HTH!

So, if you don't know any German either, I would recommend getting a card game called LinguaFun. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1591253551/edutainingkid-20

It doesn't appear to be available on Amazon, but I bought mine about 5 years ago at Borders or Barnes and Noble in the kids' language section for about $10-15. It comes with a CD that pronounces everything for you, and there's pronunciation on the cards too. There are directions included for how to play about 6 games, variations of concentration, go fish, crazy eights, etc. These cards are especially valuable for German because they reinforce the different German word order (In case you don't know what that is, here's an example. In English we say, "I want to wash the car" and in German they say, "I want the car to wash.")

I don't really know of any good elementary level curriculums for German that would be appropriate for a parent who doesn't know German. I cannot recommend Power Glide Jr. The Learnables seems good *IF* it's compatible with your child's learning style. I like the Muzzy DVDs but they are too expensive new, and some people don't like them.

HTH!

Great Thank you! Just wanted to something to introduce . .. this looks great. appreciate it! :D