Menu

Allergic to sunscreen

OK, I am discovering that I am allergic to high-powered sunscreen. I can deal with the 15spf in my moisturizer, but today I put on 50spf (and I've used Neutrogena 100spf) and my eyes burn like crazy, I get completely congested and I feel like dirt. So, I wash it off and my symptoms disappear. DH thinks it's the more potent sunscreens that give me problems. Has anyone had this problem? Is there any other sunscreen out there I can use? Or do I just need to wear long sleeves and hats all the time.

I can't use any of the spray sunscreens. I break out in hives. But I don't think that's the same thing because I can use most lotion sunscreens that are ok for babies. It's weird too because I don't consider myself to have sensitive skin but when it comes to sunscreens I have to be really carefull or I feel worse than I would if I got a sunburn!

I wouldn't sweat it. We don't usually bother with the stuff unless we're either going to be out for a long time, or it's a day by water. Vitamin D deficiency can be nasty, and most people spend so much time either indoors or covered in sunscreen that they're not getting what they need.

My son is very reactive to sunscreens. He tolerates California Baby Super Sensitive sunscreens http://www.californiababy.com/no-fragrance-spf-30-sunscreen-lotion-2-9-oz.html. He can use either form but the California Baby Super Sensitive Stick has absolutely nothing extra in it. This would be a good one for someone not sensitive to zinc oxide http://www.amazon.com/Vanicream-Sunscreen-Sensitive-Skin-4-ounce/dp/B000V1QLEM

We use other Vanicream products with him.

I dont wear sunscreen and I live in a hot place with a huge hole in the ozone. I dont even wear long sleeves a lot in summer. I do wear nice wide brimmed hats, and I do stay out of the sun, generally speaking.

Us too. We seldom wear sunscreen, and even though my avatar picture shows otherwise, I'm quite fair naturally and burn easily. I also wear wide-brimmed hats and avoid the peak hours. Plus, we live in the tropics.

I have often read that after SPF 15, they're all pretty much the same and that SPF 15 is fine. I have a long list of the safer sunscreens if anyone's interested.

My dd doesn't tolerate most sun screens well, I think its the aloe vera that is in them but could be something else. There are so many ingredients. She gets a fine red raised rash or looks like she has been scalded every where the sun block has touched and it takes about a week to go away and is very sore.

The only two i have found she tolerates well are the Lavera neutral ones and a brand called soleo organics.

Yes. Try California Baby to lose many of the chemicals. And anything over 30 is a waste of money--this is not me talking, but what "they" have found in research. It's been in the news recently.

And long sleeves and hats are OK, too. :0)

California Baby is the only brand my skin will tolerate. I've tried so many other organic and pure brands but they all make me look like I've been hit with an acid attack. My derma recommends nothing over 30 since it's just more chemicals being dumped on your skin and can overload the absorption rate of your skin, defeating the purpose of using an sunscreen.