Menu

My audible credits are stacking up...need recommendations for self-education books.

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Guest Alte Veste Academy

History, science, art... All suggestions are welcome.

Incidentally, SWB's medieval history book is on my wish list but I'm refusing to buy it until I get the ancient one. Any idea why I can't find an audio for the first? It's driving me batty!

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

For audio, I've been doing some Pimsleur language CDs and some Elizabeth Vandiver lectures on Greek mythology, tragedy, etc.

I get them from the library. I go through them so fast, I can't justify spending the money on them.

You could also try:

http://lifehacker.com/201979/technophilia-get-a-free-college-education-online

for some online lectures. Many can be put onto ipods, etc.

Also, our library not only has books on CD, but also e-audio books that one can get right off the web.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
For audio, I've been doing some Pimsleur language CDs and some Elizabeth Vandiver lectures on Greek mythology, tragedy, etc.

I get them from the library. I go through them so fast, I can't justify spending the money on them.

You could also try:

http://lifehacker.com/201979/technophilia-get-a-free-college-education-online

for some online lectures. Many can be put onto ipods, etc.

Also, our library not only has books on CD, but also e-audio books that one can get right off the web.

Thanks! Audible does have the Pimsleur Spanish. It never would have occurred to me to look!

I'll check out the other site too. Our library is fairly small and does not have a large audio selection (and zero online). I've pretty much worn it out already. I've been using my Audible subscription to download a a series of books but I've finished that and seem to have come up against a brick wall for ideas.

I've heard that some library systems allow non-residents to get a library card for a small fee. It might be worth looking into whether there's one that would do this that would have e-audiobooks that you might be interested in.

In our area, we're allowed to get cards at several nearby library systems, even though we don't live in their areas, even without a fee.

Also, there's librivox:

http://librivox.org/

which has audio public domain books (won't be any help finding the SWB book, though).

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I've heard that some library systems allow non-residents to get a library card for a small fee. It might be worth looking into whether there's one that would do this that would have e-audiobooks that you might be interested in.

In our area, we're allowed to get cards at several nearby library systems, even though we don't live in their areas, even without a fee.

Also, there's librivox:

http://librivox.org/

which has audio public domain books (won't be any help finding the SWB book, though).

Yes, I'm hitting Librivox pretty hard this week. :) The funny thing is that people actually pay to use our library, as it's the best around, especially for kids. If I want to use a larger library, I have to travel an hour in either direction so I would have to seriously evaluate how much online stuff was available. Thanks for the idea!

I recently downloaded Odyssey of the West 1: A Classic Education through the Great Books from The Modern Scholar. I haven't started listening to it yet, but it sounded interesting. They have quite a few titles that I would like to download in the future; just search Modern Scholar on Audible. I've also downloaded How to Read a Book by Mortimer Adler. I have various titles on US History and the ancient world. I try to find something that will match up with what ds is studying in TOG if possible. If you have an iPod Touch or iPhone, the Audible app is awesome! It makes listening so easy.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Does anyone have any self-ed books they specifically got on Audible, though? I've been thinking about asking for a subscription for Christmas.

Last year, I bought my MIL an MP3 player that came free with a 1 year subscription to Audible. I knew I wanted all 10 volumes of Hakim's History of Us, so I thought it was a perfect situation. I've now downloaded and listened to all of them (love them better on audio than in book form--LOVE the narrator). I am now very tempted to do back to back listening of Schweikart's A Patriot's History of the United States and Zinn's A People's History of the United States. Could be interesting. :D

I recently downloaded Odyssey of the West 1: A Classic Education through the Great Books from The Modern Scholar. I haven't started listening to it yet, but it sounded interesting. They have quite a few titles that I would like to download in the future; just search Modern Scholar on Audible. I've also downloaded How to Read a Book by Mortimer Adler. I have various titles on US History and the ancient world. I try to find something that will match up with what ds is studying in TOG if possible. If you have an iPod Touch or iPhone, the Audible app is awesome! It makes listening so easy.

Love this! Thanks! I am going to have to move past the narrator's voice though. Not my favorite. Good reviews though, so I will have to get over it! And Adler's book has been on my nightstand for about a year and a half. Maybe the audio book would get it done. :D

I really want SWB's ancient history though. Why in the world is it not on audio when her medieval volume is? :001_huh: I might have to e-mail PHP.

I am now very tempted to do back to back listening of Schweikart's A Patriot's History of the United States and Zinn's A People's History of the United States. Could be interesting. :D

This is exactly what I did! I also read America: The Last Best Hope by William Bennett. It's all one big jumbled mess in my brain now. I also purchased Learning about Liberty from Cato University. I waited a while to listen to that one though.

Love this! Thanks! I am going to have to move past the narrator's voice though. Not my favorite. Good reviews though, so I will have to get over it! And Adler's book has been on my nightstand for about a year and a half. Maybe the audio book would get it done. :D

I think there is more than one narrator on these. I hate when I choose a bad narrator. I downloaded The Histories by Herodotus, and the narrator actually gives me a headache! The recording sounds old, too. Bleh!

I really want SWB's ancient history though. Why in the world is it not on audio when her medieval volume is? :001_huh: I might have to e-mail PHP.

I wondered why that title wasn't available while the medieval is. Makes no sense to me. I had to buy it on my Kindle instead, which I don't mind, but I really wanted to sit back and relax while someone else did the work of reading. :001_smile: