Menu

Need ideas for snacks for the moms in my co-op! Not too hard but nutritious.

I need a couple of good ideas. We rotate and bring two things per person. I need some fresh ideas. I thought of the dip I have had made with Cream Cheese and some type of sauce on top. Does anyone have the recipe for this? I love it and think it is really easy to make.

Other ideas for the Mom crowd? Can you tell I usually take snacks for the kids?

Well, one thing I've done that was very popular was to take leftover chili from our family meal the night before and layer it over top of neufchatel (sp) cheese (lower fat than cream cheese but very yummy) in a casserole dish, sprinkle with a little cheddar cheese (I don't go heavy on it since this would make the dish expensive), and bake until the cheese is thoroughly melted or put it in the crock pot which works well to. I serve it as a dip for corn chips or breadsticks if I have the time to make some. The dip can be thrown together in "two shakes of a lamb's tail" but the breadsticks are a pain in the neck!

And if you don't have any leftover chili, you can use a can of hormel chili - definitely not as scrumptious as the healthy, homemade variety, but most people don't care.

Faith

I sometimes take room temp cream cheese with a jar (or half) of red pepper jelly on top. Yumm-o! serve with sturdy crackers. Fast and easy.

A good dip for veggies: (from the Barefoot Contessa)

1 block cream cheese - room temp

1/2 C sour cream

1/2 C. mayo

3 green onions, chopped

1/4 C. fresh parsley, chopped

1T. fresh dill, chopped

1t. kosher salt

1/4 t.freshly ground black pepper

Mix everything together and serve with celery etc.

In the fall I love apples with cheddar or the yummy caramel dip. Or Nutella!

A kids snack, but so good!

If you want to impress (and the people in your group eat pork), these miniature pork pies are lovely. They aren't as difficult to make as they might seem, and you don't have to do the fussy little cutout on top if you don't feel like it.

On the other hand, if you've got about five minutes to put something together, you can coarsely crush some peppercorns and mix them with warm honey. Pour the honey over a block of feta and serve with crackers.

I sometimes take room temp cream cheese with a jar (or half) of red pepper jelly on top. Yumm-o! serve with sturdy crackers. Fast and easy.

A good dip for veggies: (from the Barefoot Contessa)

1 block cream cheese - room temp

1/2 C sour cream

1/2 C. mayo

3 green onions, chopped

1/4 C. fresh parsley, chopped

1T. fresh dill, chopped

1t. kosher salt

1/4 t.freshly ground black pepper

Mix everything together and serve with celery etc.

In the fall I love apples with cheddar or the yummy caramel dip. Or Nutella!

A kids snack, but so good!

I think this is what I had with the Red Pepper Jelly!! It was really good and easy;) The dip sounds great too.

Well, one thing I've done that was very popular was to take leftover chili from our family meal the night before and layer it over top of neufchatel (sp) cheese (lower fat than cream cheese but very yummy) in a casserole dish, sprinkle with a little cheddar cheese (I don't go heavy on it since this would make the dish expensive), and bake until the cheese is thoroughly melted or put it in the crock pot which works well to. I serve it as a dip for corn chips or breadsticks if I have the time to make some. The dip can be thrown together in "two shakes of a lamb's tail" but the breadsticks are a pain in the neck!

And if you don't have any leftover chili, you can use a can of hormel chili - definitely not as scrumptious as the healthy, homemade variety, but most people don't care.

Faith

This sounds wonderful!! I think this would even be good with Fritos for the dcs on cold nights.

If you want to impress (and the people in your group eat pork), these miniature pork pies are lovely. They aren't as difficult to make as they might seem, and you don't have to do the fussy little cutout on top if you don't feel like it.

On the other hand, if you've got about five minutes to put something together, you can coarsely crush some peppercorns and mix them with warm honey. Pour the honey over a block of feta and serve with crackers.

Yum! These sound fantastic.

I like to put a block of cream cheese (one of those rectangular packages) and smoosh it onto the bottom of a small casserole dish. I top it with two cans of chili- one with beans and one without, because I don't like a lot of beans- and then I top that with a bag of shredded cheddar cheese. Heat in microwave and serve warm with tortilla chips. You could also add salsa if you wanted or chopped tomatoes or whatever.

At someone's house recently, they had these mini franks which they just served in a crock pot full of Sweet Baby Ray's barbecue sauce and they were SO good!

Cheese balls with pretzels or crackers are always good.