Menu

Has anyone used Sonlight for afterschooling?

mnemom

I'm not afterschooling, but I will jump in and say that I think it could be done within reason. It doesn't take long to do if you are doing one core. Just don't be afraid to dump a book here or there or to just listen to some of the books on audio book format. That can be done running errands and I have done it myself several times.

Thanks for your post. I read somewhere (maybe in the SL catalog?) that it takes somthing like 2 or 3 hours a day. Obviously I would have to scale back because I would have one hour a day during the weekdays. But then I'm wondering the the pace would be so painfully slow or working in such small snippets that dd would lose interest. Do you think it's doable to divide it into hour-long chunks (or even shorter)?

I would just choose some of the books to do as read alouds. Pick the books whose titles you recognize as being recommended over and over (here, other boards, books used in other programs, etc). The greatest value is in sharing the literature. I don't think you would need to invest in a core for afterschooling.

Thanks for your post. I read somewhere (maybe in the SL catalog?) that it takes somthing like 2 or 3 hours a day. Obviously I would have to scale back because I would have one hour a day during the weekdays. But then I'm wondering the the pace would be so painfully slow or working in such small snippets that dd would lose interest. Do you think it's doable to divide it into hour-long chunks (or even shorter)?

In the catalog depending on the Core it says 2-3 hours for ALL subjects. For Core 3 and under, I bet the reading wouldn't take more than 1 hour. But, I don't know what Core you are looking at.

Ali, that is a good suggestion. I feel like I already expose dd to quite a wide variety of good literature. Which is why I am wondering if I even need SL. But I hear people raving about it so much. I hope this doesn't come off as sounding superior, but is SL for people who maybe aren't very good at choosing books for their children? Or is the selection really that good? If it weren't so expensive I wouldn't be deliberating so much, but $300 seems like a lot of money unless I'm really sure about it. (I know they have the guarantee but I am one of those who would feel constant guilt for returning something even if I wasn't 100% happy with it!)

Ali, that is a good suggestion. I feel like I already expose dd to quite a wide variety of good literature. Which is why I am wondering if I even need SL. But I hear people raving about it so much. I hope this doesn't come off as sounding superior, but is SL for people who maybe aren't very good at choosing books for their children? Or is the selection really that good? If it weren't so expensive I wouldn't be deliberating so much, but $300 seems like a lot of money unless I'm really sure about it. (I know they have the guarantee but I am one of those who would feel constant guilt for returning something even if I wasn't 100% happy with it!)

I think it is that good, but I think you can find the books on a lot of other sites. The big advantage for me is the schedule - it keeps me on track with a lot of books at once.

You would be fine using it as a book list. A lot of people do that.

If you are afterschooling, I wouldn't buy a SL core. (Note in my sig, we are a SL family) The things you get in the IG that are of value are a schedule, discussion notes and mapping.

I think trying to follow a SL schedule after school would feel overwhelming. Just take the books in logical order (the catalog labels them 1, 2, and 3 based on when they fall in the schedule) and start reading. While the discussion notes are nice, you can discuss naturally. Everything we read aloud, I discuss what we want to, not what an IG tells us to anyway. The readers, you can read or just have them tell you about it. My kids love telling me what is happening in the books they are reading.

I like the mapping in Sonlight, however you can just look at a US or world map or even a regional map that shows the area that you are reading about. Pick out what you think is important, countries, cities, mountains, rivers etc. Discuss where the people in your book live and travel. Why it would be hard or easy to do what they do. Or totally skip it and just use SL for the historical perspective not geography.

Relax and enjoy Sonlight as a great book list. So many people get overwhelmed trying to keep up with the reading in SL when it IS school. I think it would be a mistake to try to do it all on schedule after school.

Oh and to answer your question, we spend 30 minutes reading aloud, 30 min on history reading and the kids read 30-45 min/day. That is just for the Core. That has been typical of the cores we have done (3/4, 100, and 6). We are all pretty fast readers though, so I don't know if that is typical for everyone.

If you are afterschooling, I wouldn't buy a SL core. (Note in my sig, we are a SL family) The things you get in the IG that are of value are a schedule, discussion notes and mapping.

I think trying to follow a SL schedule after school would feel overwhelming. Just take the books in logical order (the catalog labels them 1, 2, and 3 based on when they fall in the schedule) and start reading. While the discussion notes are nice, you can discuss naturally. Everything we read aloud, I discuss what we want to, not what an IG tells us to anyway. The readers, you can read or just have them tell you about it. My kids love telling me what is happening in the books they are reading.

I like the mapping in Sonlight, however you can just look at a US or world map or even a regional map that shows the area that you are reading about. Pick out what you think is important, countries, cities, mountains, rivers etc. Discuss where the people in your book live and travel. Why it would be hard or easy to do what they do. Or totally skip it and just use SL for the historical perspective not geography.

Relax and enjoy Sonlight as a great book list. So many people get overwhelmed trying to keep up with the reading in SL when it IS school. I think it would be a mistake to try to do it all on schedule after school.

Oh and to answer your question, we spend 30 minutes reading aloud, 30 min on history reading and the kids read 30-45 min/day. That is just for the Core. That has been typical of the cores we have done (3/4, 100, and 6). We are all pretty fast readers though, so I don't know if that is typical for everyone.

This is about average for us. We're doing core 6 as well.

I think it would be doable. I have often thought that if I were to send my kids back to school, I'd keep reading SL Books with them. We're doing core K and Core 3 this year. For core K, a half hour a day has us racing ahead of the schedule.

In core 3, my dd reads the history and readers independently. Im not sure how long it takes her. Maybe 30-45 min. total. Today, I made her stop reading her reader after she'd been holed up with it for about 30 min (we had other school to get done). When I asked if she'd read the 2 chapters that were scheduled, she told me that she couldn't stop reading, and she had read something like 10 chapters. I think most of the readers have short chapters. The core 3 read-alouds usually take 20-30 min before bed.

I agree with the pp who said that you could get by without a schedule. Get the SL catalog and then buy the books or check them out from the library. Amazon is usually cheaper than SL.

If so, how did it work out? How much time did you spend on it each day? Did it overwhelm your child? Were you doing any other afterschooling activities simultaneously? Thanks!

I use a Sonlight book list to choose books from. I didn't really understand what Sonlight was (I still don't) but I found a book list on amazon. I had heard of Sonlight on this forum and figured the books had to be good since so many people use it. [url=http://www.amazon.com/Sonlight-K-2010/lm/R1C2N4RI665BQX/ref=cm_srch_res_rpli_alt_13][/url]http://www.amazon.com/Sonlight-K-2010/lm/R1C2N4RI665BQX/ref=cm_srch_res_rpli_alt_13 and http://www.amazon.com/Official-Sonlight-Read-Alouds-for-Kindergarteners/lm/R21O11L9ZOLG6R/ref=cm_srch_res_rpli_alt_68

I set up a Excel spreadsheet with the book names and try to request the book at the library. We won't be able to get through them all and the library doesn't have them all. But, so far it's been a good list to go off of. I don't know if we would have read Mary on Horseback or Wagon Wheels if it hadn't been for the list.

My son is in first grade now but we are still working on the kindergarten list.

We also afterschool with Singapore Math & Kumon review books (just once or twice a week) and lots of reading.

Good luck!

Debbie is right, but I have to throw in my opinion about Sonlight's map. I really, really like it. It folds out from a square and is laminated. My children enjoy labeling the map a lot.