Menu

Please help choose grammar program

AllBoys

I am looking for a grammar program for 4th and 6th grade. We have done Easy Grammar for a couple of years and would like to use something else. I was wondering about Shurley, Voyages (I think there is a new one this year), Winston, or something else? I would appreciate your help!

We just (just!) started using Shurley and I *love* it. Perhaps I am in the honeymoon phase, but it really was everything that I was looking for.

I bought level 3 for my 3rd grader, and as I went through the book I realized there was SO much of it that my 7th grader didn't know. I went ahead and ordered another student set, and now I'm using it with both of them. She isn't resisting at all.

It's more than just a grammar program - it has a good amount of writing instruction, lots of study skills info, etc. I feel like using it is making my kids better students!

My 6th grader is doing AG this year. It is our first time using the program and I like it quite a bit! Actually, I expected to like it, but I am pleased by how well I like it. It is a grammar program only, so I must supplement with writing.

When my oldest (now 9th) was in 6th grade, we used Winston Basic and Adv with Queen's Language Lessons as a supplement. She was really burned out from 5 years of BJU and we needed something different.

It worked for us in our situation......

I just saw Shurley this morning at my local HS store for the first time. It looked interesting but I was wondering how it might work for two grades. Can anyone tell me how long it takes to go through the lesson with each child? I have a 4th grader and a 6th grader. I am glad to hear that it is working for you, paris! I am also glad to hear about the study skills, I didn't know about that.

Oh my word- I just came on here to sing the praises of Rod and Staff!! I have used Abeka language with my kids from the beginning- 10 years. I just ordered Rod and Staff and got it a few days ago. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!! It explains sooo much better and is so thorough. It explains so much more about the diagramming rather than just "do it". I am using it for 2nd, 6th, 7th (my oldest is 8th grade, but there was so much good stuff in the 7th grade I want her to do it). Wish I would have started my oldest two in it long ago- though I do like Abeka. But R & S is MUCH better!