Menu

Tell-Tale Heart by Poe

Virg

I just want to hear other opinions. My DSS is in 8th grade and just started doing Connections Academy Online free through our state. He was doing his Lit lesson and told me the story he was reading made him uncomfortable, it was his second day and I hadn't had time to preview his Lit book yet. I came over and was quite disturbed to see him reading this story! Esp since it was done with no moral guidance what-so-ever. Just read the story and discuss the vocabulary in it. I told him to quit reading it and I would tell his teacher that I didn't think it was appropriate for 8th grade (maybe any grade!).

So what do you think? I know I am conservative, I am just interested in other opinions.

Heres a link if you haven't read it: http://www.literature.org/authors/poe-edgar-allan/tell-tale-heart.html (Beware even as an adult, I find it quite disturbing!)

Edited by ds4159

I read that story in jr high. It seems a perfect example of your conscience getting to you in the end. Yes, its disturbing -- Poe is not a favorite writer of mine. But I don't recall it giving me nightmares or anything and I'm fairly sensitive. (just not to stuff I read, I guess. more to TV images and such!)

I LOVE Poe! I read it in maybe 6th grade or so and was desperately hooked on everything Poe. His choice of words and writing style is just so beautiful. It is because of Poe that I began writing poems and stories of my own which has carried on into adulthood leaving behind an awesome tale of the journey of my own life. So with that I may be a bit biased but I would and have let a child read Poe. In fact my now 7th grader has read it and not found it disturbing but rather so intriguing that she actually bought a Poe book with her own money! :D I think that if I were you instead of avoiding it and labeling it as inappropriate I would read it with your DS and talk about it with him. Ask him why it is disturbing to him and what he thinks the meaning behind it may be. Maybe even get a book on Poe pout of the library and read about him. I would take it as an opportunity to learn and see the different styles of writing.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I read it in 6th or 7th grade. I loved it and had no issues with the morality of it. I would absolutely let Indy read it in 8th grade.

I loved it too. I know I read it in 8th grade but am pretty sure I read it a couple of years before that. I too think it's a classic conscience getting you in the end story.

However, I would definitely be sensitive to your ds's feelings. If he is uncomfortable with it I'd speak with the teacher and see if he can either skip it or read something else.

I read this in 7th grade and thus began my year-long adventure to read many works by Poe. Yes, it's a bit disturbing but it's supposed to be. It is supposed to make you gasp and say 'oh my!' My dd7th read it during the summer and didn't have a problem with it. We discussed it. It was actually one of the few pieces of literature that she's read that she actually liked. She isn't one for love stories and stories where people are portrayed as being so good and perfect all of the time.

I think you need to do what your conscience tells you to do regarding your child but just because it is disturbing to both of you doesn't mean that no 8th grader, much less no one, should be reading it.

I read it in junior high as well, 6th or 7th, I think. If I were concerned, I would simply read it as well and discuss it with my child. It *is* creepy and dark, but that's the point. The torment that the protagonist experiences because of his guilt is well worth discussing. I would probably also bring up Lady Macbeth (a play my kids know well), and her belief that her hands are stained with blood long after her part in murdering the king...

Poe is classic American lit. The Tell-Tale Heart is a must read at our house. The Raven is one of middle ds's favorite poems. The Conqueror Worm is one of my favorites.

However, in junior high my oldest read Great Tales of Terror and the Supernatural. It is a classic. So, maybe we are just a creepy, sci-fi-supernatural-reading family.

There are great discussions about suspense lit, suspension of disbelief, and the human conscience that you can have from this story. However, if it disturbs you, then find another. Just remember that suspense literature is by definition creepy.

HTH-

Mandy

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

Has anyone seen the SpongeBob Squarepants where Mr Crabs gives SpongeBob squeaky boots but can't stand hearing the squeaking so he steals them, hides them under the floor boards of the Crusty Crab and then is so wracked with guilt that he keeps hearing them squeak? Kind of like the SpongeBob version of The Telltale Heart:lol:

I read it in junior high as well, 6th or 7th, I think. If I were concerned, I would simply read it as well and discuss it with my child. It *is* creepy and dark, but that's the point. The torment that the protagonist experiences because of his guilt is well worth discussing. I would probably also bring up Lady Macbeth (a play my kids know well), and her belief that her hands are stained with blood long after her part in murdering the king...

See I must be really warped. Not only do I love Poe, but Macbeth is one of my favorites too :-).

Of course I thought the movie Fargo was hilarious.

Heather

Another Poe lover here. I love the Tell Tale Heart. Cask of Amontillado is one of my other favorites. I probably started reading Poe in 6th or 7th grade and wouldn't have a problem with having my children read them about the same age. Although I do remember not completely understanding Masque of the Red Death the first time I read it so there may be some of his things I would wait a little longer. I always did love "horror" though.

I loved reading Lenore even though I'm not a big fan of poetry.

Wow! I had no clue that Poe was so controversial. We've read "Tell Tale Heart" aloud on Halloween night as a family. Spooky fun! I remember reading "Cask of Amontillado" at the age of 8 or 9 and really loving it. I can understand that not everyone's taste runs to the Gothic, but don't find it inappropriate in any way. I had to pull up a copy online and read it again... yep. Can't imagine it being forbidden to a middle schooler.

That said, I hated "Lord of the Flies". I'd still let my kids read it, though.

Poe is pretty standard fare. And The Tell-Tale Heart is one of his best works. You usually have to read this as a part of American lit in high school or in jr. high.

It is a story to engage your morals. You are supposed to discuss the fact that he commited the perfect murder but wait--he feels guilty. He keeps hearing that heart beat--thump, thump, thump. And that sound is his guilt telling him he did wrong.

Good time to talk about how God tells us when we are doing right and wrong. Very important theme at any age.:001_smile:

I read it in 6th or 7th grade. I loved it and had no issues with the morality of it. I would absolutely let Indy read it in 8th grade.
:iagree: I read it in 5th or 6th, and have no problem with it.

Anyone remember this episode of The Simpsons?

:iagree: I read it in 5th or 6th, and have no problem with it.

Anyone remember this episode of The Simpsons?

I do, I do. :seeya:

I thought about that earlier in the thread, in reference to the many cultural references to Poe stories and poems (of course the Simpsons was the only one I could think of off the top of my head). Who doesn't know about the Raven? Nevermore. But I didn't think the OP was going to find the Simpsons a relevant case for reading Poe. :D

I thought about that earlier in the thread, in reference to the many cultural references to Poe stories and poems (of course the Simpsons was the only one I could think of off the top of my head). Who doesn't know about the Raven? Nevermore. But I didn't think the OP was going to find the Simpsons a relevant case for reading Poe. :D

Or if you watch Good Eats with Alton Brown .... I love his episode on Fried Chicken with the bird who sits around and says 'Fry some more' as the episode is done in the Raven style.

Heather

No, but I thought some others who've chimed in would enjoy it. :tongue_smilie:

And here are some celebrity renditions of "The Raven" I found on the weekend. It all started with the John Astin "But I'm much better now" thread on the general board.

The Simpsons

Christopher Walken

William Shatner

and last, but not least :) Vincent Price (my favourite)

In college we used to compete to see who could say the poem the fastest.

ETA: And Garrison Keillor's audio version (Real Audio... blech)...

Edited by nmoira

I began reading Poe in junior high and my older son read it at that age, too. My younger son will be reading Poe next year (eighth grade). I have always been very intrigued by Poe. Yes, his works are disturbing and his life story is very sad, as well. However, reading a wide selection of his works gives one a much better view of the genre in which he wrote than just reading a single work without comment. I would actually expand and read more of his works, discuss his troubled life and how he folded his troubles into his writing, discuss the horror genre and perhaps look at other works, such as Frankenstein, etc.