Menu

Who wants to play, "Design a Credit" with me? Please?

OK, wise women - HELP!

Here's the deal. Dd18 is a senior. She is planning on attending college and majoring in dance or business with a dance minor.

This year, she wants a credit in Dance Education. No problem, right?

Hm.

How to do this?

First: Lab Work. No problem. She's got 144 hours of teaching this academic year, so that should satisfy that issue. I'd like her to do a reflection/journal on this experience.

Second: Reading/research. She has a list of books recommended by the head of her dance school. Many of them are on how to teach. Should she just read each of them, and summarize? What's the best way to do that?

Third: Interviews. I'd like her to have interviews with each of the dance faculty at her school, and ask them about their philosophy, experience, pointers, etc - then write them up.

This is beginning to sound like a "Senior Project", eh? I'm envisioning a notebook/portfolio, compilation, something? Should this be something she brings to college interviews???

Any help/advice would be MOST welcome! How did YOU design a "custom course" for your child? :bigear:

(and note. . .this is the only "custom" on her transcript. Everything else is very straightforward)

My son's senior project was in what he thinks will be his future field, archaeology. He volunteered over 100 hours at a field school, attended some related talks/presentations, wrote a paper and did some research under the guidance of the field school director.

I gave a half credit with a grade of Pass.

My son's experience at the field school became not only the focus of his college application essay, but also the focus of conversations that he had with chairs of archaeology/anthropology departments with whom he met as he visited campuses. He did not bring anything along with him but I do see how a portfolio might be of interest to college admissions officers or faculty.

It sounds as though this is precisely the thing that will make your daughter stand out from other applicants. I think that you should design this with what her passions and interests in mind.

Sounds great!

Jane

Thanks, Jane.

Do you think it would be worth it to have this in a portfolio as a "work in progress", even though she'll be continuing to work on it all year? I'm thinking she could gather things in one place. . .

And she got some good news from one of her instructors today. She choreographed a "reverence" for her company, and has been asked to actually teach it to the class. She came home glowing!

Thanks, Jane.

Do you think it would be worth it to have this in a portfolio as a "work in progress", even though she'll be continuing to work on it all year? I'm thinking she could gather things in one place. . .

And she got some good news from one of her instructors today. She choreographed a "reverence" for her company, and has been asked to actually teach it to the class. She came home glowing!

How lovely!

I am not familiar with dance but may I assume, like other arts, a portfolio of some form is standard? Is the portfolio a physical portfolio or is it digital?

This is one of those cases where I would phone a couple of colleges to ask them what they want to see and how they want to see it.

Good luck!

Jane

Sounds like she has great experience!

What about doing more with the choreography and giving a half credit for that too? For the teaching, I would think that a one page write up could be included with her applications, especially since dance is her intended major or minor. A letter of reference from the dance studio would be great as well as a letter from a parent of one of her students.

Independent study might be a good way to put it on the transcript, but I have no experience with any of this, just wanted to share some thoughts.

If she has actually "taught" 144 hours then a full credit is ALMOST complete. Reading one of the books and writing up a book report alone would bring her over 150 hours. I like the idea of interviewing other dance instructors. A letter written from her "boss" would substantiate her credit.

If she NEEDS more credits, then yes... it could be a senior project. If she only needs this as 1 credit, I'd say she's almost there! Don't make it harder than it needs to be.