Menu

Found a sort of chemistry lite option...

We're doing this next year for my 8th grader. He did Conceptual Physics last year and it was FANTASTIC. I'm hoping the chemistry is the same. Then in 9th, we'll do the Integrated Conceptual Science sections on bio and earthscience/astronomy along with MODG's Natural History syllabus (and other things). That may last 2 years. Then the plan is to do CC physics and chem.

google conceptual chemistry alive! This is author's site. The author can sell the dvd, but not the textbook. I am getting that through amazon, which is FAR cheaper than the $123 publisher's price (this is a college text).

From what I gather, here's how it works: You buy the text, which comes with the dvd-rom. You get a 6-month license to use the dvd when you buy the book. Or, you can pay for a 12-month or unlimited license. You can view clips at conceptual chemistry alive!, and they look great to me.

There are other materials, including a study guide, lab manual, and tests, available separately. I don't know if I will invest in too many of those, but who knows until I actually get my hands on it.

Clear as mud, huh? Sorry...

tonya in sc

We read through this book in seventh grade as a great logic stage chemistry course. Very interesting text! The author is Paul Hewitt's nephew, I believe, so it shares a lot of the same accessible tone and nice-looking illustrations as the Conceptual Physics textbook. It was great for us! Now, I wish we did more experiments, but Conceptual Chemistry, with the Teaching Company series on high school chemistry, and other workshops and such made a great course.

We read through this book in seventh grade as a great logic stage chemistry course. Very interesting text! The author is Paul Hewitt's nephew, I believe, so it shares a lot of the same accessible tone and nice-looking illustrations as the Conceptual Physics textbook. It was great for us! Now, I wish we did more experiments, but Conceptual Chemistry, with the Teaching Company series on high school chemistry, and other workshops and such made a great course.

Is the Teaching Company course a stand alone course? Does it have a text?

Is the Teaching Company course a stand alone course? Does it have a text?

The Teaching Company's course on High School Chemistry is designed to go with any textbook. They give you a study workbook of additional problems, but the whole course, 30 lectures each 30 minutes long, is basically on solving chemistry problems. Very nicely done! I don't think it is currently on sale, but give it a few months and it will come up on sale again...

http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/coursedesclong2.aspx?cid=111&pc=Science%20and%20Mathematics