Menu

Question about posting pictures on blogs

Having joined the blogging world recently, I have a question for those of you who post photos on your website. Do you worry about your children's pictures being on there? I'm thinking I might want to add some photos of DS "doing" school etc, but worry about safety.

Any thoughts?

I don't worry, but I do put certain safeguards into play. I use code names for everyone but me and my pets. My ds is "Z". I don't use my last name or location in any of my posts. You might know what region I live in, but probably not my city.

Another blogger's hint was not to post pictures of the front of your house, just as a precaution.

I don't get too specific and just use common sense. It is a public forum for all to see. Again, as long I feel like I am safeguarding my ds' identitiy, I don't have a problem posting pictures.

I post pictures of my kids and I use our real names. I've never posted more than our city as far as posting where we live. I'm not worried. In fact I did a major redo of my blog last night and asked dh about it. He said "No, I don't worry, I don't think anyone could find us from the info you have on there"

I have posted a pic of my house but my house also doesn't have the house number anywhere on it, so I think it would take way more effort than it's worth for someone to try to find me in such a big place with nothing but a picture of the front of my house.

Why would I worry? I don't identify with the concern. My guys have had their photos and names (first and last) in the newspaper when they've participated in certain events. Even small-town papers are online these days. Any old Joe or Jane can access that info, but...so what? Imo, fears like this are misdirected. I'd more likely be concerned about someone we know harming my children (and fwiw, I'm not concerned) than about someone in cyber-space tracking us. And I say that knowing that someone who used to frequent these boards did feel compelled to look into my life. No great shakes.

Having joined the blogging world recently, I have a question for those of you who post photos on your website. Do you worry about your children's pictures being on there? I'm thinking I might want to add some photos of DS "doing" school etc, but worry about safety.

Any thoughts?

I think I'm more conservative on this issue than many others. I don't use names, don't use photos with recognizable people, don't state what dh does or where he works, don't say when we're going to be on vacation or when dh is away.

Is there a clear and present danger of someone using my blog to find a way to hurt me or my family? Probably not. But I am amazed by the way discrete pieces of information can be brought together now. Try running some adult family names through a site like zoominfo.com You might be surprised. And once the information is out there, it is out there forever.

This came up on the old board once with a member who is also an author. I was able to dig up info on her, her husband (including employer), their church and I think also her in-laws and only spent about an hour on it.

I also know that a friend of ours recognized a post I made here and then surprised me with reading my blog. From her it was a delightful surprise. I might not be so delighted with others who put together that info.

Also, there is the issue that dh is military and my "opinions may not reflect that of the management." So I try to keep those worlds a bit more distinct.

I don't post pictures of us, and I don't use real names. DH was really the insistent one on this. But also, my little sister is a police officer. For a while, she was the DARE officer for her area. Part of her presentation included internet safety. During her training, an officer did a presentation where he found a kid on-line, then "cyber-stalked" her until he found where she lived and could even make a pretty good guess as to when her mom was not at home. It freaked out a lot of the officers in the class. When she started adding it to her in-school presentations, the teachers were immensely grateful. They'd been begging for some kind of internet-safety information for their kids.

So that's my long-winded explanation........