Menu

Chicagoland Ladies, did you wake to a tremor at 4:30?

Or did my bed wake dh and I by shaking continuously, and strongly, for better than ten seconds due to another outside force we can't determine?

I've been in earthquakes. I'd swear that was one.

But, you know how it is when something wakes you up. Interpretation is not necessarily accurate. ;) And I didn't have my two feet on the floor. I would know for sure then.

We are fairly certain it was not: wind, machinery, thunder, a large engine, a sonic boom, or an explosion.

Anyone else? If I get confirmation I'll know we're not crazy.

If I get shot down, I'm going to find out who the fool was that was doing whatever it was that woke me up at 4:30. :thumbdown:

I'm in Ohio but I felt it at 5:30. I thought I was crazy until I saw your message. I have a cat that sometimes gallops wildly around the house and I was sitting on the couch nursing the baby and thought she may have gotten under the couch and my tired brain wasn't functioning well but I couldn't figure out how she was making the floor shake that way! LOL!

I believe we had a definite tremor - how cool! I've only felt one before in my life and that was 20 odd years ago.

I'm stuck watching Bob the Builder (morning routine for the kids) so dh scanned radio stations on his way to work. The info he got - very early info - is this:

**It was a 5.4 earthquake centered in Evanston, Indiana (update: 5.2 magnitude centered in West Salem, IL)

**There are reports it shook the Sears Tower

**It was along the New Madrid fault line

Now that I feel so justified, I'm going to collapse in exhaustion.

No, wait, I'm going to tap my toes waiting for Bob and his crew to finish saving pets in a pickle and then spend all morning glued to the TV. :tongue_smilie:

My local news webpage is just as bad as national web-based-news at updating their site in anything like a speedy fashion.

So, since dh heard the news on the radio - I looked up NPRs website. Lo, and behold, they had something.

From the AP on NPRs Webpage

I love this day and age. Here it is, not quite one hour after the event and they have two eyewitness accounts of the event in their news story.

Summary:

5.4 earthquake rocks Illinois; felt 350 miles away

from The Associated Press

WEST SALEM, Ill. April 18, 2008, 06:33 am ET · A 5.4 earthquake that appeared to rival the strongest recorded in the region rocked people awake as far away as Milwaukee early Friday, surprising residents unaccustomed to such a powerful Midwest temblor.

The quake just before 4:37 a.m. was centered 6 miles from West Salem, Ill., and 66 miles from Evansville, Ind. It awakened people in neighboring Indiana and even Milwaukee, Wis., 350 miles north of the epicenter.

We live an hour north of Evansville and we awoke to our bed vibrating! We live in a 110 year old house with wood floors and everything was rattling! Fortunately the kid's rooms are carpeted. Buttercup didn't even wake up, but it freaked out the other two. When I first woke, I thought "Are we in a storm?" then I thought "Is this a tornado?" I was really disoriented. Fortunately, DH wasn't and took charge! We saw our neighbors outside walking around! We kinda thought that it was just a little tremor coming our way from somewhere else, so didn't venture outside! We thought it may have been St. Louis though!

It was our kids first earthquake and they enjoyed my stories of living in SoCal when I was a little girl!

Have a great day! We're getting ready to start our morning schedule. Forest never went back to sleep after the earthquake. We felt it here at 5:15 am.

Wow, I'm glad to find this thread! I'm in St. Louis, and wondered what the heck was up!

I wouldn't have guessed Evanston, though, of all places.

ETA: Whoops, I just read your later post. The New Madrid Fault I can believe. I wonder if there will be more? Oh, joy.

No - I remember in '71 my bed moving back and forth on shag carpet in our S. California home...but this tiny thing - nah, I slept right through it. My oldest dd did get woken up, however- not by any movement, but because our two parakeets went bonkers!!! Wake me when there is a REAL earthquake!!!

JFS in IL but born and bred in S. California!!!!

No - I remember in '71 my bed moving back and forth on shag carpet in our S. California home...but this tiny thing - nah, I slept right through it. My oldest dd did get woken up, however- not by any movement, but because our two parakeets went bonkers!!! Wake me when there is a REAL earthquake!!!

JFS in IL but born and bred in S. California!!!!

I was in that Quake, staying at my aunts. My roll away bed was rolling all over the room. I wasn't really scared until my aunt made me watch new coverage all day of the damage in Northridge (we she still lives).

We felt it south of St Louis. That was wild! I got up & saw the debris pile in my living room as if a disaster had struck. Oh, wait a minute, it looked like that before I went to bed. ;o) Guess we'll study earthquakes today in science.

The Post-Dispatch has some articles online already. Their website is http://www.stltoday.com/. What's interesting is the discussion of the soil types of the region, and how that amplifies (or not) the shakes. Already I've learned that our soil is different than California's, so the same magnitude quake will probably feel different here.

My closet doors rattled so much they woke me up. The funny thing is that yesterday the Air Force was flying just north of here and one of the jets went super-sonic, creating a boom. I thought maybe they'd done something like that again! It's only the second time in my life as a Hoosier that I remember feeling an earthquake. I'm just glad that the damage appears to be almost non-existent and no injuries have been reported (at least from what I've heard on the news).

We live in the midwest so I was a little shocked by this. When I first woke up our bedroom door was rattling and I thought my ds3 was trying to open the door, he has trouble opening our bedroom door so it usually takes him a few tries, then I felt the bed shake. I jumped up and said 'what's going on?!' My dh says 'it's an earthquake baby wake the kids up' So we proceed to wake up the kids, two of which are dead asleep and I had to shout their names many time to get them to wake up. My dh is looking out the window and yelling get downstairs! I'm thinking we are probably safer upstairs but my dh has been through earthquakes before so I keep trying to wake the kids up thinking 'stop looking out the window and help me with the kids!' He finally does. We go downstairs, by then the earthquake has stopped, and turn on the T.V. The were reporting that we have just felt a 5.4 earthquake! Yikes! Scary! First a F5 tornado two years ago and now an earthquake! My goodness

We are in SW Michigan. I woke my dh up at around 5:30am and said....."Please quit shaking the bed....it is making the armoire rattle" He just looked at me dazed....It was all explained when I caught the news this morning.

I remember us having one about 15 yrs ago too but I never felt it...just heard about others feeling it.....

Alison

We thought it was very cool. Only "Ranger" woke up to it though. He thought it might be a tornado. "Cleric" was very upset that Ranger didn't wake him up until it was over. "How hard is it as your running past to wake me up!" For ya'lls information we went right to the national geological site and within 15 min they had the report up of where the earthquake was and how big it was. They have maps and everything. They also like for people to report if they felt it for their data. I love the internet! No radio stations were reporting anything so off we went searching. Off to study earthquakes.

I remember waking up early this morning but I didn't actually feel it. On the other hand, my ds was sleeping on his sister's floor. The ground started shaking. He stood up and he really felt it. DD said that her bed was shaking. She also has a small tea set made out of china on her book case and that almost fell off the shelf.

My son and I were up on the computer. Our Jardine parrot was flapping aggressively around in it's cage about 15 seconds I commented, "Whats wrong with the bird?" Then, we heard and felt the earthquake.

I was baffled at first thought someone must of walked into the house because the blinds were swaying yet it sound like wind before a tornado but very sudden. Of course my son , hit it on the nail and said it must be a tremor.

Paula

We live on the East side of Cincinnati and dd came in and told DH that dd2 woke her up by shaking the bed. DH thought maybe a seizure or something?!?!?! (And he thinks us women are melodramatic!) Then when he got up from work he heard on the radio that there was an earthquake...he felt MUCH better then. I was up all night wiht allergy related stuff, snorting and sneezing, so I was awake, but if I was sneezing the house could collapse around me and I woudln't know it!

On the radio a professor who knows about such things said that the New Madrid fault may have tentacles into the Illinois Basin-Ozark Dome region but he seemed to be saying that it wasn't the New Madrid fault causing the quake. He said it was unusual but not unheard of to have a quake in this area.

and I felt it. Had no idea what was going on, until my husband who is a truck driver and now in CA, called to tell me what happened. The funny part is I was dreaming that I was shopping online for homeschool curriculum and found a really good deal...and I thought the shaking was part of my dream, that the computer shook when I found a great price!

Sarah

mom to

"C" ds 9

"K" dd 5

"C" ds 3 in 11 days

For ya'lls information we went right to the national geological site and within 15 min they had the report up of where the earthquake was and how big it was. They have maps and everything.

Wow. I will have to remember this for next time. It was 45 minutes before I found out for sure what had happened. 15 minutes would be much better!

They also like for people to report if they felt it for their data.

Yes, they collect eye-witness data and use it in their analysis and research. I linked the form for this earthquake above.