Menu

Just how dusty is YOUR house?

We have dust. I like open windows and it just comes in on the breeze. We also have a long haired cat and a thick coated, long haired dog. I am constantly battling the dust bunnies.

I thought those 2-inch wooden blinds were pretty so we installed them on all of the downstairs windows. Big mistake for someone who doesn't want to dust daily. They collect and show dust about 5 minutes after I clean them.

I vacuum twice a day to keep up with the animal hair. The next morning the little tufts of it are wafting across the floor and the sunbeams are glinting off the dust particles. Very pretty!

Dust is at its worst at the moment because the farmers are harvesting and kicking up all kinds of dirt and who-knows-what.

Edited by The Dragon Academy

There isn't much dust on anything first-floor-level height in our house. Beyond that, yeah! We have a vaulted ceiling with high windows and a high ceiling fan. They're really gross right now.

The second floor is very dusty b/c it's just our master suite and the dogs' loft, so it isn't tended to very often.

Right now, there are two piles of clothes on the back of my couch, waiting to be put away. And I haven't mopped in 3 days. :tongue_smilie:

Honestly, I don't feel very bad about it at all. A certain family member's house is covered in a thick layer of brown ick. A little "clean" dust is nothing!

My house would be dusty even if I dusted daily...which is a problem because I don't dust daily and we now know that our dust contains lead.

I now part of it is the kids and animals. Part of it is from the forced air furnace. Part of it gets kicked up from the road (we live on a busy street). Part of it is from living in an old house.

I avoid dusting because it makes my kids' allergies SO much worse. It's better to let it lie there.

We dust when there are visitors coming, but I can generally get someone else in the household to do it. It's seen as an "easy" job, and a way to avoid doing something like cleaning the bathroom.

If the dust bothers your husband, that means it's his job to take care of it.

I've heard that most dust is made up of human skin (which would suggest that homeschoolers might have a lot more of it, being around the house all day), but then I ran into these sites that seem to think that's a myth:

http://www.everythingyouknowisalie.co.uk/science/files/c49c3c60b8a621e7dee9e3b9405b47e6-23.html

http://www.forteantimes.com/strangedays/mythbusters/1044/dust.html

But these sites also don't say where their information came from, so I'm not believing anyone.

Our house is very dusty...I can't keep up with it. It's very dusty outside here as well, so I guess there's just no fighting it.

And there is a gigantic pile of laundry sitting my kitchen floor waiting it's turn in the washer right this moment. (Our laundry area is right off the kitchen)

So no, you are not alone :)

I dust once a week, and you can see the dust. We live in the country, so we get dust, especially during harvest. It's a losing battle.:001_smile: I give my kids a Pledge 360 and let them have fun. Oh, and the cob webs. I knock those once a week, too.

I probably dust my ceiling fans and the tops of things twice a year.

Between four people, two animals, forced air heat and A/C, and the amazing amount of wind we get, do I have dust!

I hate dusting, so I don't do it often. Seriously, like once a month. With a dish towel I grabbed. Around the tchochkes. If company's coming. Can you tell I hate dusting? :D

:lol:

I had company come Sunday. My parents are here and were trying to help me clean. Mom and Dad immediately started focusing on the dust everywhere and spent over an hour dusting each picture, each knick knack and all the chair rails and baseboards!

ARGH! I didn't care at all about the dust as I don't even see it.....I needed all the toys and items picked up and put away, countertops wiped down, and the rooms DE-cluttered!

I ended up having to do all the above because they spent so much time dusting!

Dawn

How long does this take you? Ds has allergies, but he was tested and it seems to be pollen and cotton. However, he doesn't have issues at the cottage. I wonder if I should try to schedule this in for him weekly.

I start her bedding in the am and am done by the time she goes to bed. So, essentially, a full day, but she has a big comforter and depending on the season a few blankets. Plus, I'm usually not standing at the dryer as soon as it buzzes, either. It could probably be done much faster. I no longer give her free reign on the stuffed animals on the bed. She rotates them out and can have no more than two. Those are easy to throw in the wash with the bedding.

Wow! Cotton!!! As in plant form or all manufactured cotton products?

The bedding thing would probably be good for you to do during high pollen count times. A friend of mine is allergic to pollen and she has to change her clothes upon entering the house, shower after being outside, etc.

Guest CarolineUK

I don't dust. I do just about everything else, to quite a high standard I believe. Dusting is just the last straw. We have quite a big house and I realised about a year ago, just after we started homeschooling, that if I were to worry about dusting I'd go insane. My way of coping with it is to hand a duster to anyone who complains about, comments on, or looks sideways at any dusty surface. :D