Menu

Need help finding a deodorant that won't cause underarm rash...

Paz

but will prevent b.o. My dd sweats excessively. We live in FL so that doesn't help. She has been getting itching and an underarm rash when she uses just about any type of deodorant and/or anti-perspirant. She is 18 and this is a recent thing. Right now she is using Naturally Fresh Deodorant Crystals. The rash has gone away but it does nothing for the body odor. She washes often with anti-bacterial soap and shaves her underarms regularly. She has tried Tom of Maine's but it is causing a rash, as well.

A good natural deodorant is a mixture of good coconut oil and bicarb soda (and you can add a drop of essential oil except that if she is sensitive might be best to leave it out). YOu just melt teh oil (at a low temp ) and mix in as much bicarb as it will handle. It might well be solid when you go to use it...but you ust scrape a bit out and rub it on and body heat melts it.

I used that one all last summer and it worked well.

My oldest daughter has this exact same problem; her poor underarms were raw and sore. She started using the hypoallergenic deoderant/anti-perspirant from Clinique and has never had a problem since. It's a little more expensive than regular store brands, but it lasts a very long time and was very worth it.

6+ TBSP. coconut oil (Solid state)

1/4 C. Baking soda

1/4 C. arrowroot powder or cornstarch. (arrowroot powder is preferred)

1. Combine equal portions of baking soda and arrowroot powder

2. Slowly add coconut oil and work it in with a spoon or hand blender until it maintains a firm, but pliant texture. It should be about the same texture as commercial deodorant--solid, but able to be applied easily. If it is too wet, add more powder to thicken.

3. You can either scoop this recipe into your old deodorant containers or place in a small container with a lid and apply with fingers for each use. Makes about 1 cup.

**you have to keep this cold though, as Coconut oil melts. That's the only drawback. And no, you don't stink wearing this stuff. :)

I had a terrible rash from deodorants. It was so bad that I smelled worse with it on than going without. After trial and error, I found the crystal deodorants work great. No rash, even after shaving. Here is a brand I use. They must be used on wet skin, so they are perfect for applying directly out of the shower. The also last a very long time. One can last me more than 3 years if I don't drop it and break the crystal.

• 1 year later...

She might try stopping the antibacterial soap.

I use Kiss My Face lavender, because I have sensitive skin and this doesn't hurt me. It isn't perfect. I do shower daily and give my pits a swipe if the day gets long. I also use 4711 on my arms and upper chest if it is going to be a humdinger of a day. You don't smell 4711 until you sweat.

but will prevent b.o. My dd sweats excessively. We live in FL so that doesn't help. She has been getting itching and an underarm rash when she uses just about any type of deodorant and/or anti-perspirant. She is 18 and this is a recent thing. Right now she is using Naturally Fresh Deodorant Crystals. The rash has gone away but it does nothing for the body odor. She washes often with anti-bacterial soap and shaves her underarms regularly. She has tried Tom of Maine's but it is causing a rash, as well.

Is she using unscented products? I get rashes from many scents. If she's getting a rash from Tom's and it's scented, you may be able to use their unscented one.

One of the best deoderants I've ever found it the unscented one by Desert Essence with tea tree oil. I can also use the unscented Tom's long lasting one (the old Tom's was useless & I had to put it on 4 times a day).

Another problem could be the razor she shaves with. Dd was getting rashes she thought was from deoderant, but it was the razor.

Has she tried underarm powder? There is a natural one I've used before that is great, but can't think of the name at the moment. It's a little messy to apply (don't wear black while you are putting it on!) but it is very soothing. It won't stop the sweating but does a pretty good job of odor control. Otherwise, Dr. Haushka has a nice but expensive roll on deodorant.