Menu

I feel silly asking this, but how do you make homemade beans & rice?

If I need to stretch the food budget, because it is very tight financially, how do I use dried beans? Growing up my mom only ever used canned beans, and I know you can use dried beans in the crockpot, but how else can I make them? Do I add seasonings? For those who do this often how do you do it?

We are beans and rice people!!

Pinto Beans being our fav

I make them at least once a week!

For our family of 6, I use 6-8 cups. I rinse them in a colander and put in water in a large bowl over night to soak.

Next morning, pour that water off, and then pour the beans in the crock pot, with warm water to cover plus about double water!

I don't season until an hour has gone by,

then

onions, 4 beef bouillons, garlic, and if feeling wild I add smoked ham hock (cheap meat)

My family eat it in a bowl with salsa added.

I have served it over rice (cooked in rice cooker)

I take the extra and smash up for re-fried beans, to add to meat for burritos or tacos.

I am gonna subscribe to this, as I want to learn other bean recipes!

The only dried beans I have made are pintos, and I do those in the crockpot. I have some others in the cabinet so I am tuning in to this thread!

ETA: I soak the beans over night just like the pp. I use some kind meat for seasoning them plus salt. We usually have beans with cornbread, but rice is great too!! I also save the rest for soups or other dishes.

Edited by Nakia

I learned this FABULOUS bean soup recipe from my sister when she lived in Honduras:

Soak beans (any kind; I usually use red or black) overnight in water with crockpot off.

In the morning add onions, pepper, cumin, and garlic, and cook on low all day. (Do not add salt until it's about ready.)

To make the soup:

Add salsa, more water if necessary, and cumin to the beans until you're happy with it.

Separately, sautee onion, tomatoes, green pepper (etc) in butter and sour cream. Then add a ladleful or two of the beans and simmer. When serving, stir in cilantro.

--this recipe is soo good--creamy and flavorful. I make a huge pot of beans that lasts for several days, and just whip up the soup fresh each time. You could also do other things with that pot of beans if you wanted--put it over rice, etc.

I learned this FABULOUS bean soup recipe from my sister when she lived in Honduras:

Soak beans (any kind; I usually use red or black) overnight in water with crockpot off.

In the morning add onions, pepper, cumin, and garlic, and cook on low all day. (Do not add salt until it's about ready.)

To make the soup:

Add salsa, more water if necessary, and cumin to the beans until you're happy with it.

Separately, sautee onion, tomatoes, green pepper (etc) in butter and sour cream. Then add a ladleful or two of the beans and simmer. When serving, stir in cilantro.

--this recipe is soo good--creamy and flavorful. I make a huge pot of beans that lasts for several days, and just whip up the soup fresh each time. You could also do other things with that pot of beans if you wanted--put it over rice, etc.

sounds yummy. I think I'll try this next week.

Have you done the price comparison for dried vs. canned beans? I did it once, and was surprised that the cost difference was only around 3 cents/ounce. To me, the hassle factor of having to pre-soak the beans outweighed the minor cost savings.

gosh, this had me thinking

our canned pinto beans are 68cents for one can generic

a small bag of beans is same price and makes 4 times the amount

the bigger you buy the beans the cheaper the beans become.

The ham hock is usually under $2

so for $3 I get a protein rich homemade meal, the the smells all day, make the mouth water!! with left overs!

that being said...I do have a few cans of beans both refried and regular in the cupboard! lol

gosh, this had me thinking

our canned pinto beans are 68cents for one can generic

a small bag of beans is same price and makes 4 times the amount

the bigger you buy the beans the cheaper the beans become.

The ham hock is usually under $2

so for $3 I get a protein rich homemade meal, the the smells all day, make the mouth water!! with left overs!

that being said...I do have a few cans of beans both refried and regular in the cupboard! lol

I did this comparison once too. I buy my beans in 25# bags. I don't remember the exact numbers but to buy them by the can was nearly 5 times the amount (at that time). Just last week, I priced out the dried pinto beans at the grocery store and they were MORE expensive than our local Trader Joes canned organic pinto beans. (I ran out of the dried ones.) I was shocked! Yes - it's much cheaper to buy in bulk.

I do the same thing the pps do. Pinto beans are our favorites too. I cook mine with about four slices of bacon. Yummy! EVERYONE loves this meal! I usually cook cornbread and rice and a huge salad. Nice, healthy, cheap meal.

I also add beans to just about everything to help stretch it. Chili? Add some black beans or kidney beans. Chicken dish? Add some chick peas.

Also, have you tried split peas? Yum! Here's my recipe:

1 onion

3 carrots

2 cloves garlic

Saute in oil.

Add chicken broth. (I don't know how much - sorry! Maybe 6 cups?)

1T soy sauce

2 cups dried split peas

pepper

Cook until peas are soft.

I serve it over rice or with potatoes as a side. I don't know why, but this recipe is SOOOO good! Also, 1.25 cups of it is only 6 Weight Watchers points!!

Have you done the price comparison for dried vs. canned beans? I did it once, and was surprised that the cost difference was only around 3 cents/ounce. To me, the hassle factor of having to pre-soak the beans outweighed the minor cost savings.

I use dried beans to avoid consuming the BPA that is currently used to line ALL canned goods...only canned beans I've been able to find that are BPA free is Eden Organics.

Edited by sarahf.

When we did the 5 days of eating nothing but beans and rice, the one my boys liked the best was just plain chick peas and white rice. Some added salt to taste after cooking. It's so easy - simple - but tasty enough that we do it for a regular meal now.

I soak the chick peas overnight. The next day I rinse them and sort out any that are bad. Then I cook white rice according to the package - adding the chick peas to cook along with the rice.

When we did the 5 days of eating nothing but beans and rice, the one my boys liked the best was just plain chick peas and white rice. Some added salt to taste after cooking. It's so easy - simple - but tasty enough that we do it for a regular meal now.

I soak the chick peas overnight. The next day I rinse them and sort out any that are bad. Then I cook white rice according to the package - adding the chick peas to cook along with the rice.

Yes, yummy! My kids like for me to add some rosemary and lightly sauteed red onions to this. It does make it look nice.

Once you get in the habit of soaking overnight, it is not an issue. We eat a lot of beans and lentils. I have a bowl that lives on top of the microwave and every other day I have something soaking in it.

Simple recipe is just rice and beans in a saute pan squirt some ketchup and taco seasoning and stir. If you are really exotic you can add some ground beef and cheese. One of the things I get when we are tight are those big 10ilbs tubes of ground beef (bulk is cheaper) I cook it all up with onion and then freeze it in half pound bags. It is amazing how much more it seems when you add it to your food.

If you have an Indian store near you, check that out. They have so many different types of lentils (dal) Tor Dal is the lentil with the highest protein content. Also, their spices are so much cheaper. I always look there for spice first. Especially Bay leaves.

Navy bean soup

Multi bean chili ( a whole variety of beans rather than just kidney)

bean salad

bean stew

All really good