Menu

Wrist pain and skin pain with no injury -- thoughts?

Yes, I plan to see my general physician about this. I have been busy scheduling and rescheduling appts for my foot problem. I have an MRI scheduled for Monday because a podiatrist and an orthopedic couldn't see anything wrong with my xray, but I have pain and popping. That's a long story, but anyway, I've had to keep rescheduling b/c everytime I have a doctor's appt or MRI appt, my kids have gotten sick.

I haven't taken time to pursue my wrist pain. My left wrist has been hurting for months (I'm right-handed). I cannot push off from it (you know, like when getting out of a bath tub) without it hurting like crazy. It hurts at other times too. I haven't injured it at all.

Another thing has happened a couple of times. On my right arm starting at my wrist and running down my arm to close to the elbow, the skin surface has been painful just to touch. The area is on the underarm.

Thoughts?

Can you describe the pain in the wrist?

The skin pain sounds like neuropathy. I had similar stuff (and assorted other very weird things) that were happening to me and pain in my arm and feet were related as well. However, the pain I was experiencing in those areas was nerve pain rather than what I think you're describing and it was connected to the neuropathy and other things happening to me. My nervous system was basically in distress and falling apart.

In my case there were underlying causes. I saw neurology after my doctor couldn't figure out what was happening to me.

Edited by sbgrace

The pain from your wrist to your elbow sounds like ulnar nerve damage. The nerve is virtually unprotected and if you do any kind of leaning on your forearm (computer work, maybe?), you can injure it. If the damage isn't too far gone, it's usually reversable and NSAID pain relievers help a great deal.

Diane W.

married for 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years

I have tendonitis off and on in my left wrist. The symptoms are what you describe. I ice it for 24 hours, 20 minutes at a time. I also take ibuprofen to keep the swelling down and wrap it with an Ace bandage (around the wrist and between the thumb and index finger) to immobilize it and keep swelling down. It usually goes away within a week.

Yes, look at your left wrist. See the big bone? It is at the forefront of it and runs down my hand a little.

Can you describe the pain in the wrist?

The skin pain sounds like neuropathy. I had similar stuff (and assorted other very weird things) that were happening to me and pain in my arm and feet were related as well. However, the pain I was experiencing in those areas was nerve pain rather than what I think you're describing and it was connected to the neuropathy and other things happening to me. My nervous system was basically in distress and falling apart.

In my case there were underlying causes. I saw neurology after my doctor couldn't figure out what was happening to me.

I noticed the "pain" (I cannot really call it pain -- but huge sensation to touch) after coming away from the desk.

The pain from your wrist to your elbow sounds like ulnar nerve damage. The nerve is virtually unprotected and if you do any kind of leaning on your forearm (computer work, maybe?), you can injure it. If the damage isn't too far gone, it's usually reversable and NSAID pain relievers help a great deal.

Diane W.

married for 22 years

I noticed the "pain" (I cannot really call it pain -- but huge sensation to touch) after coming away from the desk.

Well, I'm a peds nurse, but we have seen this in kids who spend a lot of time in front of the computer. In fact, I've had it myself when I forget not to lean my forearm on my computer table while I type. It can cause odd sensations, pain to the touch, tingling and numbness in the ring and pinky fingers, and weakness in the hand. Try cushioning the computer table if you need to lean your forearm against it and taking an NSAID for the pain. If you don't notice improvement, then see your doc. Changing your typing behavior is the best anecdote. It can become permanent damage if you don't head it off.

Diane W.

married for 22 years