Menu

Freezer cooking question

I'm finally starting to get my plan together! I'm aiming for 6-8 weeks worth of dinners in the freezer by mid-November, for use in Dec/Jan so I can focus on the holidays and new baby.

One of my favorite things to do in winter is just throw a chicken or roast into the crockpot with potatoes and vegetables. I know I can blanch and freeze packages of vegetables to be thrown in, but what about the potatoes? Is there any way to freeze chunked potatoes successfully, or should I just suck it up and stock up on <gulp> canned potatoes?

can you just add fresh new potatoes when you cook it? they are small enough that there is no prep work required.

:iagree: I also don't blanch and freeze the other vegetables. I usually buy fresh and use those because the prep time is minimal. If I really don't have prep time then I wil buy some prefrozen veggies. Potatoes though do not freeze well if raw.

I just did a big feed the freezer session. I made beef stew packets with beef, onions and carrots (blanched or already frozen) tossed in the seasonings and flour. I plan on just peeling and chopping the potatoes and adding them at the point I dump it into the crockpot. Then, just cover with water or broth and start it cooking. I don't think potatoes can be frozen successfully unless the are mashed potatoes. They seem to do fine when I make shepherds pie.

Hope that helps and have fun filling your freezer! I love having all those meals ready to go.

Technically, yes. I'm just really trying to minimize the shopping list during those two months. Dh + Grocery Store = ridiculously expensive! :glare:

Potatoes can keep a very long time. Just keep them away from anything that might make them sprout.

My dh grows LOTS of potatoes each year, and we have potatoes in the basement from late September when he starts digging them up until January (even the Yukon Golds do okay). They sometimes wrinkle a little, but are still good. ETA: Keep them in a cool, dry dark place and leave any dirt on.

Technically, yes. I'm just really trying to minimize the shopping list during those two months. Dh + Grocery Store = ridiculously expensive! :glare:

They don't freeze well at all in the raw state. You'd have to do something like a potato dumpling or do them fresh or go with the canned.