Menu

Which Disney World resource book do you recommend?

After researching what seems to be a must have resource books for DW, I've concluded these 2 may be the top picks. Have you tried either one or both? Which one do you like and WHY? I'd like to get something that is straight=forward, yet thorough, reliable and has covered all the bases with what there is to offer at the parks, etc, tips, etc. These are the KIDS' versions. Thanks. I'm looking on-line for a great priced one...it does NOT need to be this year's edition. I can go back 2-4 years to save money on the book...certainly the info would pretty much be the same.

1. The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World with Kids 2011 (Unofficial Guides) Author: Bob Sehlinger

2. Fodor's Walt Disney World® with Kids 2010: with Universal Orlando and SeaWorld (Special-Interest Titles)

Edited by sheryl
Added "world" to title

My vote is for the Unofficial Guide. By a long shot. I've seen the Fodor's with kids, but I haven't seen the Unofficial with kids one -- I have used several editions of the regular Unofficial Guide to WDW and it's *fabulous*. I would *strongly* recommend that you get the *most*current* edition. Trust me, that $10 will save you money in the end and things *do* change year-to-year. We've been six times in the last five years, and there's always something new or different.

Another vote for the Unofficial Guide. The "Unofficial Guide... with Kids" is only updated every 2 years, so the most recent edition is the 2010, published last year around this time. I use both the main guide and the "with Kids" mainly because of the huge age span I have to work within (oldest dd is a roller coaster fanatic and will be 10 when we go next; little dd will only be 2; ds will be nearly six but not a fan of anything dark or 'too scary.' And that's just the kids, lol. :) )

I got the most use out of PassPorter's Walt Disney World. I really liked the layout, the kid reviews for rides and restaurants, and the "journal" section in the back. It's just a little pocket area for ticket stubs, etc. that prompt you for a favorite memory of the day. It took me a few minutes to do when we'd come back to our condo and it made for a nice keepsake of our trip.

Another vote for the Unofficial Guide. The "Unofficial Guide... with Kids" is only updated every 2 years, so the most recent edition is the 2010, published last year around this time. I use both the main guide and the "with Kids" mainly because of the huge age span I have to work within (oldest dd is a roller coaster fanatic and will be 10 when we go next; little dd will only be 2; ds will be nearly six but not a fan of anything dark or 'too scary.' And that's just the kids, lol. :) )

In addition to whatever book you choose, DISboards.com is a great forum that may be useful to you. There's a Disney for Families board where you can find many active discussions about appropriate rides/shows/restaurants for kids, travel tips, etc.

I got the most use out of PassPorter's Walt Disney World. I really liked the layout, the kid reviews for rides and restaurants, and the "journal" section in the back. It's just a little pocket area for ticket stubs, etc. that prompt you for a favorite memory of the day. It took me a few minutes to do when we'd come back to our condo and it made for a nice keepsake of our trip.

Thanks ladies...all of ya. We're making progress on our trip. Am leaving now to check out these books and buy 1 or 2.

touringplans.com is also very helpful but it's a paid membership. They are the Unofficial's website.

If you buy the current edition of the real, regular Unofficial Guide, they ask you a couple questions on the site and you get access to the paid area because you bought the book.

The site is worth the fee if you didn't buy the book, though. I use it every year, along with TourGuideMike, DISboards.com and RideMax. I pay for all of them except the DIS, which is a free forum and site.

Edited by dansamy

I just got home from going to Borders to buy the book. I was going to buy 2, but decided 1 will suffice....eventhough I did use my 40 % discount coupon! I liked all the books recommended. Passporters is great, you're right...the way it's laid out, etc. Fodor's is nice too, but I ended up going with the "Unofficial Guide for Kids". It's a great book. It's the 2011 edition.

ALso, I went ahead and bought my dd a kids book for her...DWD Kids by Birnbaum sp??? Both together came to $20 after discount.

Yea. Way to go...thanks again for everyone's help.