Menu

Has anyone used Merlin Science

explorations so far? with comments? I'm saving the link to Merlin, thanks, to explore later, but have not used it, maybe someone else will answer. I'm following leads and collecting, with an eye towards having chemistry course ready in a couple years, but its nice to have books/programs already in house early, just in case (for me to get into it, for kid to get used to it, use for reference, maybe evolve on into the course of study naturally, wonders never ceasing.)

I've already got Conceptual Chemistry, and maybe other things I can't remember upstairs, but this is a new one I've just been looking into.

Another WTM poster nestof3 is using lessons and experiments from here:

Ian Guch's Cavalcade o' Chemistry

For $5 you can order a disc with all his lessons, worksheets and labs....and I gave an extra $5, cause I like his attitude (its for helping others.) I really like his website, and his odd and unusual sense of humor is very engaging!

Mr. Guch's Free Books

I'd promise a review once I get the disc, but it would not be very useful as I'm not a science person. I've not homeschooled for long, but I have pretty much gotten over having an issue with using a book with a "for Idiot's" title, or "for Dummies", when my favorite financial advisor ever, authored one of these. Ian Guch authored Idiot's Guide to Chem and another to Organic Chem.

I've read every panicky thread here, about lab science, and I'm there pretty much, so any resource that will click for me and my son, is worth looking at.

LBS

explorations so far? with comments?

You mean besides the fact that I am starting with Physics, since my DH will teach a good portion of that? :lol:

I have books coming and should have a final choice soon. I have looked at Kolbe's Chemistry option, Oak Meadow, Thinkwell, PLATO Science, Holt Modern Chemistry, Spectrum Chemistry, Conceptual Chemistry, and the Chemistry portion of the Conceptual Physical Science (not Explorations), which conveniently also has a condensed version of the Conceptual Physics as the other half. ;) (I am using the Conceptual Physics, the High School Program.) I have read more high school and college syllabi than I care to admit, and have pages of labs and lab kits to compare. :lol:

I have ruled out the online options, we need hand-on material, computer supplement is fine.

The labs are really quite wonderful. I downloaded them back when they were all on his site. I have them printed in a binder. Each lab is several pages long because he gives prelab info, problems you may run into, questions to discuss with the students, and very detailed steps.

I went through our chemistry textbook, selected labs in order of the textbook, and ordered my supplies from Home Science Tools. Some of the labs require a hood (or at least do them outside), and a couple of them included items difficult for non-school-related teachers to obtain (typically because of their bomb-making abilities and flamability). :)

I have two more boys coming through high school some day, so I didn't mind the initial expense. I just felt like the labs and experience surpassed anything I had seen in the homeschooling market.

I cannot recommend them enough.

explorations so far? with comments? I'm saving the link to Merlin, thanks, to explore later, but have not used it, maybe someone else will answer. I'm following leads and collecting, with an eye towards having chemistry course ready in a couple years, but its nice to have books/programs already in house early, just in case (for me to get into it, for kid to get used to it, use for reference, maybe evolve on into the course of study naturally, wonders never ceasing.)

I've already got Conceptual Chemistry, and maybe other things I can't remember upstairs, but this is a new one I've just been looking into.

Another WTM poster nestof3 is using lessons and experiments from here:

Ian Guch's Cavalcade o' Chemistry

For $5 you can order a disc with all his lessons, worksheets and labs....and I gave an extra $5, cause I like his attitude (its for helping others.) I really like his website, and his odd and unusual sense of humor is very engaging!

Mr. Guch's Free Books

I'd promise a review once I get the disc, but it would not be very useful as I'm not a science person. I've not homeschooled for long, but I have pretty much gotten over having an issue with using a book with a "for Idiot's" title, or "for Dummies", when my favorite financial advisor ever, authored one of these. Ian Guch authored Idiot's Guide to Chem and another to Organic Chem.

I've read every panicky thread here, about lab science, and I'm there pretty much, so any resource that will click for me and my son, is worth looking at.

LBS