Menu

What comprises Spanish 2?

Dd took high school Spanish 1 last year through our school district. Due to scheduling conflicts she is doing Spanish 2 at home with a tutor 1 hour/week & a conversation class one afternoon/week with 30 min of reading/translating daily as homework for this class.

She loves Spanish and wants to be a Spanish teacher. Thankfully she'll have an opportunity to use the language in Nicaragua next June on a missions trip.

She reads her Spanish Bible daily.

Ds takes Spanish 3 at his high school and he & dd converse together in Spanish fairly often.

Per the recommendation years ago from these boards, I purchased these 2 books by Practice Makes Perfect:

Complete Spanish Grammar

Spanish Verb Tenses

Would completion of these 2 books, the conversation class, 1 hour daily homework and weekly tutoring constitute Spanish 2?

Thank you in advance!! :001_smile:

I'd guess that's even more than Spanish 2. It looks to me like it's moving into Spanish 3.

My French 2 (years ago) continued with past tense and made a little progress on some sort of future tense (with a lot of reading). In French 3, we finally got a grammar book and covered, well, a lot of it, but not all of it. We did a lot of reading of literature in French 3. (Students took the AP test after the 4th year.)

However, these days, the reports I'm hearing coming out of the public schools is that past tense isn't even touched until partway into the second year and that there isn't all THAT much grammar covered in the 3rd year. And reading? I'm not sure they do much literature until at least the 4th or 5th year. Students are "ready" for the AP test after the 6th year. (Although it is possible the AP test is different and harder than it used to be.)

I don't think you're slighting your student. Once the year is up and you see what she's covered (and what your son has covered), you may decide to give her more credit than just Spanish 2.

I don't think you're slighting your student. Once the year is up and you see what she's covered (and what your son has covered), you may decide to give her more credit than just Spanish 2.

I agree with this. If you finish all the verb tenses (Spanish has a lot) and the whole grammar book, and she's reading and speaking regularly, it might be closer to Spanish 3 by the time you're done. Though it may take more than a year to get through all that...

BTB has a Spanish 3 book you can look at the TOC of to compare as well.

If she takes advantage of her trip to Nicaragua, you could be amazed at her progress. She sounds like she's preparing very well.

The bulk of Spanish 2 is comprised of the following:

review of present tense verbs (regulars and irregulars)

preterite tense verbs (regulars and irregulars)

Imperfect tense

preterite vs imperfect

estar vs ser

reflexive verbs

have (haber) + verb

"have to" (tener que)

Commands

present progressive

light introduction to future

Vocabulary

Reading/listening comprehension

conversational work

off the top of my head those are the basics. The bolded being a big focus. hth!

I am teaching a Spanish II class using Practice Makes Perfect Spanish Verbs and PMP Spanish Pronuns and Prepositions (the Grammar one is good too). I have added conversation in the form of skits I created myself and I added "Susana y Javier en Espana" from Amsco for reading comprehesion and some grammar (there is also a "Susana y Javier en Sudamerica"). I am also asking the students to work through the Madriga's Magic Key to Spanish (based on Cognates to build vocabulary: It is kind of dull but it gives lists and lists of cognates and builds vocabulary rapidly). I think you are doing plenty. :001_smile: