Menu

Need dog/vet advice tonight

DS's dog ate about 25 Hall's Menthol cough drops.

The active ingredient is menthol and there aren't any ingredients that would cause drowsiness or anything.

He must have eaten all of the wrappers because we can't find any evidence of the drops. The package was on the floor and the drops are missing.

Should we call the vet? I can't really afford an emergency vet bill. Our town does not have an all night vet clinic so I would have to contact our regular vet. His after hours charges are pretty high.

DS's dog ate about 25 Hall's Menthol cough drops.

The active ingredient is menthol and there aren't any ingredients that would cause drowsiness or anything.

He must have eaten all of the wrappers because we can't find any evidence of the drops. The package was on the floor and the drops are missing.

Should we call the vet? I can't really afford an emergency vet bill. Our town does not have an all night vet clinic so I would have to contact our regular vet. His after hours charges are pretty high.

Did you try poison control?

Thanks for the advice.

We ended up calling the vet who advised us to make the dog vomit. It only took about 2 tbs of peroxide before things started coming up. He cleared a bunch of the wrappers (I didn't do an actual count) and a lot of stomach fluid. I am hoping we got to him before most of the meds were absorbed. We were gone for about 15 mins.(which is when he got into the bag) and had him vomit within another 25 so total time in his stomach was about 30-40 mins.

DS is planning an all nighter to hold vigil over the dog. He feels guilty about leaving the drops where the dog could reach them. Poor guy. He was a trooper though and is claiming responsibility. DS called the vet, found out what to do, held the dog while he was vomiting and cleaned up the trashcan. What an experience for a 13yo.