Menu

SOTW Reading

Janelless

Does everyone do all of the reading recommended in The WTM and SOTW Ancients? I'm constantly redoing my lists it seems because there are other books we want to read together and I'm driving myself crazy. She's 6 1/2 like it's not going to scar her for life if we don't do all the reading right? Calm me down please. :) I'm driving myself nuts and as my DH says it's so easy to do for me :glare:

Janelle

Janelle, I feel your pain! Take it from one who almost killed herself trying to find and read every book on the SOTW reading lists: don't do it! : ) I agree with the previous posts: the lists are suggested readings, not required. I am a type-A perfectionist, so if you give me a list, I'm going to knock myself out trying to cover every stinkin' thing on it. Sigh. With each additional "student" I've had to learn to take deep breaths and realize there are only so many hours in the school day! : ) The most important thing is for everyone (including mom!) to enjoy history. If they learn along the way, that is a bonus. LOL

Echoing others: it's a list of *possibilities*, not requirements. Pick one or two from the non-fiction list, one or two from the literature list (more if you're using tiny picture books, less if you're reading a dense chapter book)... Sometimes you'll see something on your own shelf or at the library or on another list that goes with a SOTW chapter but that isn't in the AG, and you'll do that instead.

Don't make yourself crazy with this. :) No one was ever *meant* to read all of those on the AG list. :)