Menu

What do you find exciting? Mom gets bored.

MrsMe

I've reworded this post so it's less complicated. So if it sounds familiar, that's why.

Is there a curriculum out there that jazzes things up every so often, so it's not predictable, but is still planned? Or is that just the nature of the beast? I tire of the redundancy of box-checking, feeling behind. It's not the content that usually annoys me, but the template weeks that get boring after a while. So change it up, right? Easier said than done.

I feel like my entire education was built on rote and I couldn't come up with my own plan to save my life, but if I try to change it up, it feels scattered and disconnected.

What are your favorite programs in the elementary 3-5th level that aren't redundant in the daily routine? What do find exciting instead of on Monday you do this, Tuesday we do this, Wed this, etc.?

We are really liking our Winter Promise science. It includes so many different books and things to do that it is never the same thing. Some days we do readings and worksheets, other days we are doing experiments or making models, sometimes we watch a video, and sometimes we play a game, sometimes he's writing journal entries and summaries. It's always a mix of those types of things but never the exact same mix for very long. I think I'm going to have to add in some testing and review so he doesn't forget things because it moves quickly but it is interesting, challenging, and I don't see us getting bored. But we're only 4 weeks into it.

I can't used pre-planned curriculum; it drives me nuts.

When I first started homeschooling, I used sources like Designing Your Own Classical Curriculum (WTM hadn't been written yet), Sonlight, Let the Authors Speak, Voyages in English, and my own vision of of what I wanted out of our homeschool (which changed as I started to understand what that actually meant)

I love putting together unique plans each yr. I have never taught the same grade level the same way twice and with the exception of math and theology, I probably have never taught the same subject the same way twice.

I own lots and lots of sources that I glean ideas from (like this yr I have Further Up and Further In for our Narnia study), but I hardly ever use as intended (definitely ditched the whole unit study idea with FUFI......too disjointed for me).

The only subjects I don't feel at ease about approaching in completely my own way are high school science and foreign language. (well, and math and theology, but I don't really do that ever)

I can't used pre-planned curriculum; it drives me nuts.

I love putting together unique plans each yr.

I own lots and lots of sources that I glean ideas from... but I hardly ever use as intended

:iagree:

I only homeschool one child, but we are always switching gears and going off in new directions and exploring different paths.

I follow The Latin-Centered Curriculum for the base of our schooling, which leaves us with time to meander and have fun.

We are really liking our Winter Promise science. It includes so many different books and things to do that it is never the same thing. Some days we do readings and worksheets, other days we are doing experiments or making models, sometimes we watch a video, and sometimes we play a game, sometimes he's writing journal entries and summaries. It's always a mix of those types of things but never the exact same mix for very long. I think I'm going to have to add in some testing and review so he doesn't forget things because it moves quickly but it is interesting, challenging, and I don't see us getting bored. But we're only 4 weeks into it.

I suppose I'd have to do my own; rewrite it.

It would be so nice to be able throw a huge mix; games, lapbook, video, notebook, questions and exactly like you mentioned, never the same mix very long. With ours is one day narration, the next day questions, the next is bible verse & draw, the next is experiment and log. This goes on all year and it's the same repetion (depending on subject) every week, all year, with all subjects. Good content, but I'm already bored.

What science is it?

:iagree:

I only homeschool one child, but we are always switching gears and going off in new directions and exploring different paths.

I follow The Latin-Centered Curriculum for the base of our schooling, which leaves us with time to meander and have fun.

If I meander, I'm perpetually behind. I have a bunch of fun stuff, but if I add it the day is too long, if I do it instead, we "miss" things and a year long program takes a year and 1/2. I hate that.

But 8filltheheart (sp?): I couldn't put my own together. I need a base. I love the plan. I love the destination, I just can't stand the redundancy of how we accomplish it.

Edited by alilac

I agree that for any planned out curriculum, especially if you are talking such complete ones as WP or HOD then things are going to be somewhat similar from week to week.

But I think there is occasionally individual subjects that you can find a course for with little changes and also plenty of room to follow the WTM way, but make it your way.

I think SOTW is pretty good for having a huge variety of activities, of course the basic work is read/narrate/map but the activites range from word searches to creating costumes to building labyrinths to board games to writing projects to crafts.

And I think that you can use this format to create your own fun class in any subject- get a spine to be the box checking part of your lesson then find other activies to get the change. I also think you can really go a step beyond by doing the spine part of the class yourself and teaching ad lib. This works in any subject. It helps if you have a sort of mental list of the basic "lesson plans."

Something like

-physically act out

-draw

-write

-do a craft

-using one of your kids favorite subjects (can you say Pokemon?)

-make a rhyme/song

-explain to someone else

-????

Then if today's grammar lesson is on prepositional phrases you could look at your list run through and "teach" the lesson that way. Here are some "lessons" based on my list above

-as you say prepostional phrases they will do the action "Go under the table", "Put the book on the bookshelf"- they can tell the prep and the object as you do it

-they could draw a picture and circle or tell you the prep hidden in it "on the horse", "over the tree"

-they could write a sentance with a prep, or do dictation

-many craft directions have all kinds of prep., can they find them?

-can they find some prep phrases in a pokemon book

-could they make up a poem or song about prepostions or other word play

-can they tell someone else what a prepositional phrase is-call grandma or tell dad later, or tell the dog

-????

A regular "Monday we do this, Tuesday we do that" schedule works best for my kids because of their special needs. At least it works best as far as actually learning and getting things done. They just need that structure and routine to keep their jittery little nervous systems from running amok. (I've tried a little more fly by the seat of my pants approach before and believe me, amok is not pretty at my house.) It does get very repetetive after a while and all of us get a little restless now and then. This year I'm doing two things that seem to be helping a bit.

One is that my "Monday we do this" schedule is made up of blocks of time that can be switched around amongst the days if needed. And some of the blocks are more vital than others. Sometimes just shifting things around is enough to stir things up so they don't feel quite so rote routiney, but sometimes I just have to pitch out a block or two and shift things around so there's a blank space in the schedule where we can go to the park or the museum or something in a relatively spontaneous manner without losing the structure or making anyone feel unsafe or frantic about things. This shuffleability is helping.

The other thing is that on Friday afternoons I've scheduled a large chunk of time as "project time" (and again, this block can shift to other days as needed). In general, this is when we do our history and science projects, alternating weeks between them. I just pick a project that has a theme that relates in some way to what we've been studying, and toss that in. I've got a project planned for each week, but also plan to change it up if I want to.

Also, sometimes it helps to change the "format" of a planned assignment. For example, instead of handing the child a workbook page or quiz to fill out, cut the page into strips, fold them up and put them in a bowl. Or sort them by difficulty level and assign different point values. Then you can reach in the bowl and pull out a question, and if the child answers correctly they get a point, or if they're right you have to do a pushup, but if they're wrong they have to do one. Or, you know, whatever gameshow consequence/reward system works for your child. That way you've gone over the same material, but you haven't had to face one more dang worksheet today. Or maybe they could draw faces on some popcicle sticks and do a little puppet show of the story you just read instead of a narration summary. Or they could do their math on the markerboard. Or sidewalk. Or for a younger child you could write a number chart on the sidewalk and then read a math problem and have the child go stand on the correct answer. You would just read the problems out of their math workbook, but it would "feel" like something different. See what I mean?

Also, sometimes it helps to change the "format" of a planned assignment. For example, instead of handing the child a workbook page or quiz to fill out, cut the page into strips, fold them up and put them in a bowl. Or sort them by difficulty level and assign different point values. Then you can reach in the bowl and pull out a question, and if the child answers correctly they get a point, or if they're right you have to do a pushup, but if they're wrong they have to do one. Or, you know, whatever gameshow consequence/reward system works for your child. That way you've gone over the same material, but you haven't had to face one more dang worksheet today. Or maybe they could draw faces on some popcicle sticks and do a little puppet show of the story you just read instead of a narration summary. Or they could do their math on the markerboard. Or sidewalk. Or for a younger child you could write a number chart on the sidewalk and then read a math problem and have the child go stand on the correct answer. You would just read the problems out of their math workbook, but it would "feel" like something different. See what I mean?

Way cool idea.

Have you tried something that is more of a guide than a completely planned out curriculum? I'm thinking of things like:

Ambleside Online

Simply Charlotte Mason

Higher Up and Further In (charlottemasonhelp.com)

Epi Kardia

Biblioplan

That way you would have a framework that you could change and add to in order to keep things interesting.

I know the feeling, I am soooo drawn to a couple boxed curricula, but when I get them I feel "trapped".

Lilac, it's easy to develop Bored Mom syndrome. The real solution is to spice up the REST of your life with interesting, mentally stimulating things so that the routine and monotony and repetition of teaching your littles doesn't wear at you. Take up three hobbies. Teach a class (or two). Start a ladies group. Find someone to mentor. Take on some charity craft work. Develop an inordinately complex cleaning and landscaping routine for your house and actually get it done.

Seriously. I've been bored stiff and gone through these phases for years. This year it's all over. I have two kids in different kinds of therapy, both of which need to be followed up on every day at home. I have multiple crafts, holidays, super-duper 40-th birthday parties to plan, etc. etc. Instead of putting all your energy into your kids, it's easier to put your energy into something that stimulates YOU. Have you ever wanted to take up writing? Song-writing? Song-writing is actually my little thing on the side that I think of and never do. I'm surprisingly good at parodies. Or do SWB's WEM study a bit each day.

Now as far as your actual question, I'm with the others. I use a category goal for each day, but I'm extremely spicy and spontaneous with the form of the output. I also change up the order of things most days. I'm just not a same thing every day the same way kinda person. :)

Heart of Dakota does because you are always using different books and doing different projects and activities in both History and Science. It is also all planned out. :) We love it!

LOL, we are using HOD! In fact this is the most interesting year...Preparing! I honestly love the content. It's also very artsy. The books are excellent! It's not the content, but the "way" of the repetious week. We did Bigger too (and WP, because the redundancy in HOD got to me) and there's that same repetition of what we do on what day, etc. I love that it's planned out. I just wish the repetition wasn 't there. I have a grid that I made and every day is the same depending on the subject. Sometimes I wish they'd stick in some holiday plans and we could do them and not end up a week behind. It could say this week you'll lapbook this or you'll go outside and do this instead of read this book, these two pages every. single. day, etc. But if it's not planned, it doesn't get done.

I suppose it's just a wish. I suppose we see the repetition in it all and the kids don't. But having said that, I couldn't imagine doing the same program over in a middler's year with extensions. Oh GASP! I think that would just do me in.

But I like Elizabeth's idea. Take just one box and change the format, but do the "info". I think ONE box is the key. I tend to look on a "curriculum" scale instead of a single subject.

I can't plan my own. I love the thought of FIAR and Ambleside, but in the end, I think I'd have a heart attack. It would kill me.:svengo: Do me in. (insert dead person here.) Haul me off and throw dirt on me. I'm a person who is better at changing something already there. I'll have to be a tweaker on a bigger scale. (Is there name for a person like that?) I just don't know how to tweak without skipping and being behind. I'm on week 6 and we started August 3rd. I should be on week 8. Oh gosh....I can't go there. I need air.

I make sure so switch things up on Friday-- we do less of our core subjects and do our art and music. Also, this year I've decided to go on a 'term' schedule for my 6th grader where every 6 or 7 weeks we switch out an elective. Right now we're doing logic, and we'll probably drop it for a while to do some fun geography study or apologetics or something.

I also like to supplement math with Life of Fred, Challenge Math, and Real Life Investigations. To me, LOF is not a stand-alone, but these are fun ways to mix it up a bit.

I really need variety within structure to make it work and not bore myself to tears.

Hope that helps!

ag

What science is it?

We are doing Human Anatomy and Forensics for younger students. I think because it is combining two subjects it is less routine than other programs. It uses about 8 book sources and also has some online sources and a game/detective kit. We only use about 3-5 of the sources a week and within each day there's a section of expected activities and optional activities so you can really mix it up. We usually do everything because the optional activities are usually fun and my son likes it. If I were to do it again, I would have gotten an easier program so I could include my little kids in it but I really like the WP science format I've seen.

I've reworded this post so it's less complicated. So if it sounds familiar, that's why.

Is there a curriculum out there that jazzes things up every so often, so it's not predictable, but is still planned? Or is that just the nature of the beast? I tire of the redundancy of box-checking, feeling behind. It's not the content that usually annoys me, but the template weeks that get boring after a while. So change it up, right? Easier said than done.

I feel like my entire education was built on rote and I couldn't come up with my own plan to save my life, but if I try to change it up, it feels scattered and disconnected.

What are your favorite programs in the elementary 3-5th level that aren't redundant in the daily routine? What do find exciting instead of on Monday you do this, Tuesday we do this, Wed this, etc.?

I think gaining confidence that you can plan what you want to home school helps with boredom tremendously. Of course there are the cores that you need to follow but as for everything else, teach what you love! Find books that you not only don't mind reading to your kids, but that you yourself can't wait to keep reading. If you are passionate about a subject it is easy for the child to get that way. Find projects or lessons coming up that you are excited about studying. For example we are learning Earth Science this year. I am bored out of my gourd with the water cycle and the earth's crust, but I know that space is right around the corner. Learn with your child. Preread and prepare for what is coming a bit ahead, so that you can find tidbits that you didn't know, or cause you to grow. If that doesn't work and you can't change your plan, at least change your surroundings. Take the school books out back on a blanket under a tree. One of my favorite things is to go to the beach at dawn when no one is around and work on writing.

Another thing I think is important is to try to find a HS group that fits and meets at least once a month so the kids can play and you can just be with other women who are going through what you are experiencing. The message boards are good but face to face laughter and sharing is much better.

When it's time for some "spice", mix in:

- going on a field frip

- watching a history documentary or a feature film set in a particular time period from the library

- watching a fun science video/DVD

- going for a nature hike; walk around the neighborhood and make a mini leaf collection; or mark out 1 square foot in the backyard for each person, hand out the magnifying glasses and see what you can see

- doing "bubble science"

- making Fridays = "fun day" (set aside regular curriculum and do an art project; spend the morning doing science experiments play math and language arts games; look up links on the internet or play free online educational games)

- baking/eating food from a specific culture and playing a game from that culture

- make gifts for Christmas for the grandmas from a fun kit and call it art -- make beeswax candles; make a sun-catcher kit; use Shrinky-Dinks; make/bake things with Sculpty clay; paint plaster or wood Christmas ornaments from Michael's; make fancy greeting cards; do origami with special fancy paper; etc.

Spend a little time now:

- researching a field trip list of local places to visit

- searching for/printing off some ideas from online resources for art/science/history hands-on

- buy a few science kits and art kits

- get a used book or 2 to have on your shelf (science experiments using items around the house; games around the world; recipes from around the world)

- etc.

Keep it all handy in a box, and when you need "spice" -- go to your "spice box" and mix a little into your day! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

When it's time for some "spice", mix in:

- going on a field frip

- watching a history documentary or a feature film set in a particular time period from the library

- watching a fun science video/DVD

- going for a nature hike; walk around the neighborhood and make a mini leaf collection; or mark out 1 square foot in the backyard for each person, hand out the magnifying glasses and see what you can see

- doing "bubble science"

- making Fridays = "fun day" (set aside regular curriculum and do an art project; spend the morning doing science experiments play math and language arts games; look up links on the internet or play free online educational games)

- baking/eating food from a specific culture and playing a game from that culture

- make gifts for Christmas for the grandmas from a fun kit and call it art -- make beeswax candles; make a sun-catcher kit; use Shrinky-Dinks; make/bake things with Sculpty clay; paint plaster or wood Christmas ornaments from Michael's; make fancy greeting cards; do origami with special fancy paper; etc.

Spend a little time now:

- researching a field trip list of local places to visit

- searching for/printing off some ideas from online resources for art/science/history hands-on

- buy a few science kits and art kits

- get a used book or 2 to have on your shelf (science experiments using items around the house; games around the world; recipes from around the world)

- etc.

Keep it all handy in a box, and when you need "spice" -- go to your "spice box" and mix a little into your day! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Great idea!

Lilac, it's easy to develop Bored Mom syndrome. The real solution is to spice up the REST of your life with interesting, mentally stimulating things so that the routine and monotony and repetition of teaching your littles doesn't wear at you. Take up three hobbies. Teach a class (or two). Start a ladies group. Find someone to mentor. Take on some charity craft work. Develop an inordinately complex cleaning and landscaping routine for your house and actually get it done.

Seriously. I've been bored stiff and gone through these phases for years. This year it's all over. I have two kids in different kinds of therapy, both of which need to be followed up on every day at home. I have multiple crafts, holidays, super-duper 40-th birthday parties to plan, etc. etc. Instead of putting all your energy into your kids, it's easier to put your energy into something that stimulates YOU. Have you ever wanted to take up writing? Song-writing? Song-writing is actually my little thing on the side that I think of and never do. I'm surprisingly good at parodies. Or do SWB's WEM study a bit each day.

Now as far as your actual question, I'm with the others. I use a category goal for each day, but I'm extremely spicy and spontaneous with the form of the output. I also change up the order of things most days. I'm just not a same thing every day the same way kinda person. :)

Can you move next door? ;) I love your advice:001_smile:

We were using FIAR, which is definitely exciting and new each lesson. The downside was that I spent too much time planning all the fun things in. We switched to HOD and I plan fun extras in the afternoons. Our extras include field trips, gymnastics, arts and crafts, tea time with poetry, science experiments, nature studies, cooking, etc.

I do think HOD is somewhat repetitive (mainly the Bible and 3Rs), but my DC love knowing what they are supposed to do each day. I love that we can work quickly and have time in the afternoons for all the extras I couldn't ever get to before.

I too OregonNative wish OhElizabeth lived next door! :D She has a lot of good answers on this board!

We tried co-op for the first time this year. As an only my dd needed the "group". She's doing a drawing class and is doing great! But it took our "5th" day out of our first year of finally having a 4 day week and I find it being an intrusion of "what could have been." It could have been our game/puzzle/cook day or our field trip day, and our catch-up day.

But I'll take all these great ideas you ladies gave me and change the how in one box once a week, changing boxes. I think this is another chapter in my hs endeavor; learning HOW to tweak. First you find what works best by buying and selling over and over. Then you finally figure out what is best suited for your family, then you learn to tweak. Thanks for listening to my ramblings.

This is the same thing I went through and had a hard time with. I don't care for repetition in anything:001_huh:. And I know this part of schooling is going to be tough for me to overcome with any curriculum:glare:

I have to move my furniture around often, otherwise I die. Seriously.

I say this as helpfully as I can, but I don't think the curriculum matters. You are the teacher so you can decide when and how to "jazz it up." At my house I mix things up by not doing things in the same order and by supplementing with games, netflix videos, taking class outside etc. Today we are having a light day because we went to the dentist this morning and we are wrapping up a current theme. We have already done some "Art Fraud Detective" and played Go Fish. DS 14 is watching a Galileo video from Netflix.

The choice is yours. I haven't read the other responses yet so I apologize if I am duplicating something. I am sure you can get lots of ideas just here on the WTM board on how to make things more interesting at times.

We are doing Human Anatomy and Forensics for younger students. I think because it is combining two subjects it is less routine than other programs. It uses about 8 book sources and also has some online sources and a game/detective kit. We only use about 3-5 of the sources a week and within each day there's a section of expected activities and optional activities so you can really mix it up. We usually do everything because the optional activities are usually fun and my son likes it. If I were to do it again, I would have gotten an easier program so I could include my little kids in it but I really like the WP science format I've seen.

I should have gotten this instead of Apologia. I like WP and a mix with HOD would have been fun. This is close to learning the same info too. Darn it!

I say this as helpfully as I can, but I don't think the curriculum matters. You are the teacher so you can decide when and how to "jazz it up."

Yep. You are right! With all the curriculum I bought and sold, it did however give me some good ideas. But then there's always that nagging want, "if ____ and _____ was combined, it would be OH SO PERFECT!"

I know, there isn't anything perfect out there.