Menu

Vegetarian Soup Recipes wanted

Only other rule: Gluten Free

Even better if it is also animal product (dairy, eggs, etc) free, but that is not required so please post even if it has cheese or whatever (ESPECIALLY cheese, btw! LOL).

However, Bonus Points if it is cheap

Double Bonus Points if it is cheap and feeds four people for 3 meals

Triple Bonus Points if it becomes the new fave meal for at least one family member.

Quadruple Bonus Points if it meets all of the above!

Thanks for playing :)

I am no good with specific recipes, and I am not too familiar with specific diet requirements (like gluten-free) but here are some general ideas: Make chili beans as usual but substitute tofu for the ground beef--my mom did this 20 years ago and it was really good but I don't recall how it was done exactly.

Also make a basic vegetable soup with whatever you have on hand that's about to spoil or spill in the pantry--ie small bags of random amounts of dry beans, a carrot, potatoes, canned tomatoes (or fresh), green beans, onion, etc. Soak the beans first, get them somewhat tender--about 2/3 done-- then saute diced onion in olive oil, add to beans, add tomatoes, carrots, green beans, whatever else you want, parsley, salt and pepper, and put the potatoes in last so that everything else is done by the time they are and they don't cook and cook and become mushy. I cook a lot but I'm no good with recipes.

BTW, I belive you responded to my Hand, Foot, and Mouth disease thread Fri--I definitely have it, yuck yuck, and now I think dh has it too. We think the culprit is my dd4, who showed me what I thought was a canker sore in her mouth not too long ago, but had no other symptoms...the jury's still out on the fate of the 18 month old! :)

Only other rule: Gluten Free

Even better if it is also animal product (dairy, eggs, etc) free, but that is not required so please post even if it has cheese or whatever (ESPECIALLY cheese, btw! LOL).

However, Bonus Points if it is cheap

Double Bonus Points if it is cheap and feeds four people for 3 meals

Triple Bonus Points if it becomes the new fave meal for at least one family member.

Quadruple Bonus Points if it meets all of the above!

Thanks for playing :)

My family loves this. I think it meets all your requirements, but the cost will vary depending on how much your vegetables cost.

http://www.food.com/recipe/ecuadorean-quinoa-and-vegetable-soup-101925

Cheap, vegetarian, filling, but if you don't like beans or tomatoes it won't work.

Black Bean Tomato Soup.

1 onion, chopped

3 garlic cloves, minced

olive oil

15 oz can black beans, undrained- or make it even cheaper by cooking your own beans

14 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained

1/3 cup brown rice

3 cups water

cayenne powder

salt

Saute onions and garlic in olive oil. Add water, beans, tomatoes, and rice. Cook until rice is done, about 30-40 minutes. You can puree half of the soup and add it back in to make it thicker/creamier, or you can leave it as is. Sprinkle with salt and cayenne to taste. This is good with some freshly grated parmesan on top, but that's optional.

Also, we eat a basic vegetable soup with diced carrots, potatoes, onions, garlic, and vegetable broth. Add italian seasoning to taste. Add the tiny shell pasta after cooking. Add frozen peas or green beans at the end. Omit pasta to make it gluten free.

Spinach Minestrone Soup. I think it would still be good without the pasta

1 onion, chopped

2 garlic cloves, minced

4 cups vegetable broth

1 can kidney beans

1 can diced tomatoes

1 medium carrot, sliced

1/2 cup uncooked elbow macaroni

1/2 tsp dried oregano

1 package (10 oz) frozen, chopped spinach. thawed

Saute onion and garlic on oil. Add broth, beans, tomatoes, carrots, macaroni, and oregano. Cook until veggies and pasta are tender, about 20 min. Stir in spinach, bring to a boil. Remove from the hear, let stand 5-10 min.

Edited by Annie Laurie

From the Ms. Lo book From the Earth:

Tomato Potato Soup

Heat a big pot with 2 1/2 T peanut oil.

Add 2 teas minced garlic

1 T minced ginger

Stir until garlic starts to tan

Add 1 2/3 C diced onion. Stir and let cook for 5 minutes on low heat

Turn heat up and add 3 C EACH diced tomato and potato.

Add 3-4 cups good saltless veggie stock

1 1/4 teas salt

1 1/4 teas sugar

Simmer until potato is soft but NOT falling apart.

Add 1/2 C chopped scallion and 1 teas. of the dark sesame oil

I don't add the scallion or dark sesame oil. This is delicious, reheats, can be mixed with meat, like diced leftover chicken, doesn't taste "gingery", is good COLD on a hot day (or in the middle of the night). I have made it with canned Romas, but I add the juice from the can early on to cook the taters, and don't add the diced up toms until the last 8 minutes. HTH

These are the ones that most often cycle through our rotation.

Miami Black Bean Soup:

1 onion, chopped

chopped garlic to taste

saute these for a few minutes, until soft then add

1 chopped pepper (I use a frozen mix)

chopped jalapeno to taste

saute for a minute or so, then add

2 cans of black beans

3 cups veggie broth

Bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 mins. After simmering, blend until smooth and serve with a dollop of sour cream.

Curried Squash Soup (this is one I made up)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

1 large or 2 small winter squash (pumpkin, acorn, butternut all work well)

1 large red onion

2 heads garlic

1 sweet potato

Prepare the above (i.e. cut squash in half and remove seeds; remove skin from onion)and roast for 1hr

After 1 hr remove, let cool. Once cool, add oil (to taste, about 2 Tbs) to pot over medium heat and add curry powder to taste. Gentle heat/roast powder, then add the roasted ingredients. Add 3 cups veggie broth, bring to boil. Let simmer for about 10 mins, then a 1/2 cup cream (can be omitted), and puree. Serve with some yoghurt

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Cream of mushroom soup

Sautee about 2 lbs of mushrooms, 1 large onion, and garlic to taste in about 2Tbs oil or butter. Add 1 peeled and diced potato. Add 1 Cup white wine, or 1/2 Cup sherry. Sautee for a few minutes. Add 3 or 4 cups veggie broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are soft. Add 2 cups cream and puree. This is nice topped with blue cheese and served with garlic crostini.

White Bean and Garlic soup

Roast about 5 heads of garlic in a 375 degree oven (about 45 mins). Let cool slightly. While it cools, sautee 1/2 onion in oil or butter. Add garlic, 2 cans of white beans, and 1 bag of frozen spinach or equivalent amount of fresh. Boil, reduce heat, simmer until beans are tender and then serve.

We also do a potato chowder and a cheese soup but those are very dairy heavy

This is SO good and SO cheap:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/lentil-soup-recipe/index.html

I make this at least once a month - my whole family LOVES it. You can easily use a vegetable broth instead of chicken stock, and there are no other animal products in the recipe.

It costs about $2-$3 to make, depending on the cost of produce and if you make your own stock. I can easily get 3 meals out of it for our family of four... we eat it as soup on day 1, then over rice after that. It freezes beautifully.

okay both of these have meat in them but I do the Chili without meat. Now I haven't used veggie broth but I think that would be fine too.

Tig’s Black Bean Chili (Incredible, low-fat, 1-hour chili)

2 T. olive oil

1 onion, diced

1 green bell pepper, diced

1-lb ground turkey

1 16-oz can chicken broth ()

1 T. chili powder

1 ½ tsp. ground cumin

¾ tsp. dried oregano

½ tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. coarse ground black pepper

3 cloves garlic, crushed

2 (15-oz) cans black beans

1 (10-oz) can chopped tomatoes with green chilies

1 (14-oz) can plain diced tomatoes

1 (15-oz) can Kidney beans

2 T. cornmeal, plus extra

6 T. chopped, fresh cilantro

1 c. shredded cheddar cheese

In a large soup pot, brown the ground turkey in 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add chopped onion and chopped bell pepper. Sauté and stir until the onions are clear. Add spices (except for fresh cilantro, which is an herb anyway), tomatoes, beans, and broth. Simmer covered for about 1 hour. Thicken by sprinkling and stirring in cornmeal. Add enough cornmeal to achieve desired thickness. It is not really necessary to measure; but, it will take at least 2 tablespoons to keep the base from being watery. When ready to serve, top each bowl with a sprinkling of fresh cilantro and cheddar. Now, I prefer to add the cilantro directly to the pot and then to have extra for people to use in their bowls. We also like to provide lime or lemon slices for people to use if they wish to squirt some over their individual serving. A dollop of cream fraiche or sour cream is nice, too, on top of each serving (of course, that adds fat, which makes it no longer a low fat dish, as does the cheese).

VIRUS KILLING CHICKEN SOUP

One chicken

Appx 15-30 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed

1 Tbs salt

3-4 Thyme sprigs

Cayenne pepper (to taste. I use about a tsp)

Fresh Rosemary sprigs

Fresh ground pepper

Place chicken and other ingredients n a soup pot (I use my pressure cooker) and cover with water or chicken broth (I really like those boxes of organic chicken broth). Cook on stove top until chicken starts to fall apart. Remove from heat. Strain out chicken and stuff and set aside until cool enough to chop. Reserve broth for next step.

1 large onion (coarsely chopped or sliced)

1 fennel bulb (sliced thin)

1 leek (sliced thin)

4-6 stalks of celery (coarse chopped)

large red pepper (coarse chopped

1/2 lb. carrots (coarse chopped) [edited to say lb. by Jill]

2 tbs olive oil

1/2 C good White Wine

salt and pepper

Place oil in bottom of large pot and heat. Add onion, fennel, celery, pepper and leek and saute until onion just transparent. Add wine and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Cover the vegetables with chicken broth from chicken--add more broth from can or box if you don't have enough broth from chicken and simmer veggies until just tender.

Frozen green beans

Frozen peas

zucchini

flat leaf parsely (chopped)

1-2 cans chopped tomatoes with juice

salt and pepper to taste

Add these above ingredients and simmer until everything is tender. Add chopped chicken, salt and pepper to taste.

No virus can withstand this soup.

You can also add cabbage with the end ingredients if you like (I do!), or any other veggies your family likes. Sometimes I'll throw in whatever is in my veggie bin in addition to the above.

The next day add egg noodles and turn it into chicken noodle soup