Menu

We are flying for the first time as a family...

and I have questions.

Do I need to have I.D.s for my children?

Are there restrictions on aerosol sunblock?

What about shampoo? Should I put it in small containers?

I haven't flown since 9/11 and I am really nervous about travelling with my kids, one of which has serious problems if she doesn't have access to food and the other if she can't get her medications. I am trying to not let my mind float to getting stuck on the plane on the tarmac and situations like that. So I am carefully planning now to reduce my losing my mind. :lol:

You should check the airline website and/or call the airline, especially to doublecheck about the medicine.

Your children do not need an ID--they only need a valid ticket. However, I usually bring their birth certificates along and a photo of me with my children just to be on the safe side. Obviously if you are traveling outside of the country you need passports for all.

All liquids have to be in containers 4oz. or less, and the sum total of all liquids per bag must be put in ONE quart sized, see-through, ziplock bag. They really do check this. This is for carry-on luggage. I believe you can put larger containers of liquids into your checked luggage, but you should doublecheck that information.

Any medicines must be clearly labeled. I have brought vitamins and various prescription meds all over the world without issue.

I don't know what you would do about a prescription medicine that is in a container larger than 4oz. Call the airline. You might also consider mailing it to your hotel ahead of time???

We just flew to Texas with our 19mo and I brought her BC but they didn't ask for it. I don't think you can have aerosols though. The shampoo can be as big as you want it in your checked luggage but only 4 ounces in the carryon.

My advice to you is have all the kids wear the easiest shoes they have. You have to take your shoes off, even babies, and I don't know how many kids you have or how old they are but sitting down tying 5 pairs of shoes doesn't sound fun!

Strollers and diaper bags are free...FYI and don't count as a carry-on.

Hi again, Jennifer

I'm browsing the boards instead of making a grocery list, and stumbled on your question.

The TSA has a website with all their rules and regulations. http://www.tsa.gov/311/index.shtm

The limit for liquids and gels and such is 3.4 ounces. Put them all in a quart sized zip lock bag. Each of you can have your own quart-sized zip lock -- that way you can carry on more stuff! The TSA web site may say more about medicines and such.

I buy water bottles after getting through security but have taken muffins and bagels from home. Fruit is problematic sometimes because of fruit quarantines, so again I buy it on the other side of security (yes, it is expensive, but sometimes convenience is worth paying for.)

Your kids do NOT need ids. They will have to take off their shoes at security, and take off jackets. There are now lots of bins at security and frequent travelers have it down to a science -- computers and cell phones and shoes and the quart-sized zip lock and jackets all get put in bins followed by the carry-on. The TSA people are, for the most part, far more professional now than they were immediately post 9/11. If there is something weird in your carry-on they take you aside and poke through it. That has only happened to me once and we've travelled quite a bit in the last few years.

Just give yourself time. And, did you know there are little monorail trains at the Orlando airport?! They run between the gates and the main terminal -- it's like a mini theme park ride!!

You don't need ID for children if you are travelling inside the United States. Adults need a driver's license or other state-issued picture ID.

We fly frequently and always pack food in our carry-on bags. Sandwiches, snacks, fruit, no problems. There are restictions on taking liquids through the TSA security (you can ready about those online) - we generally just buy a bottle of water once we go through security.

We generally just pack the shampoo in our checked luggage, but if we needed to take some along in the carry-on, I would just pour it into the little 4oz-or-less travel bottles.

We have had no problem carrying medications through security in our carryon bags, including insulin (a liquid) as long as it was in the original containers.

Have fun on your trip!

When I traveled with my dd and she was on meds, we took a big bottle of meds, clearly labeled, on the plane without a problem. You can take solid foods like sandwiches or chips on most planes. We took granola bars, slim Jims, gum and hard candy without a problem. Bring empty water bottles through security and then fill them at the water fountain on the other side or you can just buy water bottles on the other side of security, but that is expensive. We just planned on buying shampoo etc when we got where we were going. I traveled with all 4 kids this summer and we only had carry on luggage, so we didn't want to bother with a lot of little bottles of toiletries.

Also you will need to remove your shoes so make sure they are slip-ons if possible.

I flew alone for the first time this year. We haven't flown much in the last few years, here are some tips I picked up.

- agree with pp on liquids, I packed them at the top of my carry-on

- if you don't know how your kids will fly bring something to help with takeoff and landing. Doublemint gum helps me.

- Gum wrapper tip: Do NOT put non paper gum wrappers in your pocket, they will set off the metal detector. I was being nice on a flight back from Costa Rica once, put the wrapper in my cargo pant pocket. It took us a few minutes to figure out what was making the detector go off, as I had horrid visions of being removed and interrogated. We almost missed our connecting flight.

- double check the size of the plane. I was used to flying bigger planes but had never flown out of our current town. The only planes flying out of here are smaller, 2 seats on one side, 1 on the other. Because of the way the fuselage is shaped you couldn't even get a regular size carry-on under the window seats. Also because of the size they wouldn't allow rolling bags on the plane, they had to be gate checked. So make you anything you REALLY need during the flight is in a bag you can get to easily.

Good luck and have fun.

Those are all great ideas you've been given, but i will add one more. If you have a young child who uses a sippy cup, pack a clean, empty cup in your carry-on. Then, after you go through security, you can buy milk/juice/water to put in it. I did that for ds when we flew a few months ago and it worked great.

I always pack assuming that we will have a 24 hour delay a some point on the journey. It's overkill when we have a simple flight, but it keeps me very calm and confident when we do have a delay of some sort. I carry on a change of clothes for each person, including undies, in case of spills or leaks. Toothbrush and paste - I can't tell you how much fresher you feel if you've brushed your teeth, even if you've slept in the airport all night. Obviously, things for the kids to do. Easier in the age of the iPod - audio books are wonderful. Zip loc bags keep things organized and keep wet/leaky things under control. My kids all carry their own stuff, as much as possible for the littles. Gate-check your stroller. Let the kids navigate. "We need gate E-34, where should we go?" - kids can look at signs and so forth to figure it out. This keeps them occupied and helps them learn how to do it for when they fly alone when they are older. An oversized polar fleece serves as blanket or pillow in a pinch, and keeps 'em warm even if wet. Warn 'em not to joke during the screening. You get one quart-sized zip-loc per person - you can of course mix-and-match with toiletries for the family in one, food in another, etc. Note container size on the TSA site.

I over-prepare, but it is so worth it in terms of peace of mind, esp. when you have kids with you.

Note: food bought after security is *expensive* - like $3 for a bottle of water that would normally be 59 cents. Times the number of family members. Eek! Bring food.

If you can fly without checking bags, it's *so* much easier, but it's not easy to do with little 'uns.

Guest mrsjamiesouth
Those are all great ideas you've been given, but i will add one more. If you have a young child who uses a sippy cup, pack a clean, empty cup in your carry-on. Then, after you go through security, you can buy milk/juice/water to put in it. I did that for ds when we flew a few months ago and it worked great.

I recently flew with my 2yo, and I forgot about the liquid rule. I made it through all the securtiy at the airport without anyone catching this. So, on the flight home (different airport) I decided to fill the cup with juice just as a curiosity. Well, the 2nd airport caught that the cup had liquid in it. All they did was open it in front of me and dip a litmus paper into it to make sure it was safe. Then, he handed me the full sippy cup.

Guest mrsjamiesouth
What does this mean? At the gate when we are boarding the plane? Does that cost money? It is a double stroller.

To check your carseat is free and it is also free to gate check your stroller. You keep the stroller through the airport and when you go to board the plane you fold it down and leave it right outside the door of the plane.

To check your carseat is free and it is also free to gate check your stroller. You keep the stroller through the airport and when you go to board the plane you fold it down and leave it right outside the door of the plane.

AND - they unpack it first and put it *right* outside the door of the plane (in the walk-through thingy), so you can set it up right there and start using it - super-convenient. If it's not there when you get off, wait a second - they're usually pretty quick with them.

AND - they unpack it first and put it *right* outside the door of the plane (in the walk-through thingy), so you can set it up right there and start using it - super-convenient. If it's not there when you get off, wait a second - they're usually pretty quick with them.

This is super news for me! I had us all packed to be able to have carry ons and no checked bags, but the stroller was the only hitch. And it is good to know that we can check our car seats as well.

I plan to pack all of my electronics in one bag - ipod, cell phone and computer so that it is easy to get out.

@askPauline: I do so much better if I over-prepare! Having 4 kids and two with special needs makes me have to be downright anal if we even leave the house. :D

@elegantlion: Thanks for pointing out the shoes. That's a good point.

Technically, your kids do not need IDs. However...

DS10's name is apparently the same as someone on the TSA "Watch List." Three years ago when we flew, I was asked for his ID. I pointed to the then-7-year-old and said, "Yeah, right." It took an extra 15 minutes at checkin for them to figure out how to deal with it. This happened for several flights thereafter, to the point where I could help the checkin rep figure out how to clear him.

For our trip last month, I finally got him a state photo ID card. Only took about 5 minutes and $5 at the DMV. Everything just went a lot more smoothly at checkin.

I haven't flown since 9/11 and I am really nervous about travelling with my kids, one of which has serious problems if she doesn't have access to food and the other if she can't get her medications. I am trying to not let my mind float to getting stuck on the plane on the tarmac and situations like that. So I am carefully planning now to reduce my losing my mind. :lol:

Looks like you got a lot of good advice already. Just wanted to comment on the bolded part above. Airlines now get heavily fined if they keep you on the tarmac for 3 hours or longer. If it looks like there will be a problem that can't be resolved within those 3 hours, they will go back to the gate and let you off. The flight will be cancelled, which brings its own set of problems. I know when you're traveling with kids 3 hours is still a long time, but those horror stories where people were stuck for hours on end are by far less likely to happen. It costs the airline less to cancel that flight and deal with passengers than to pay the fines.

When we fly I pack as much food as I can. We also try to get to the airport early enough to buy food there--inside the security area. Pricey, yes, but the airline will allow it onboard.

Enjoy,

Cinder

Yes, I just flew for the first time in a while and the TSA website (already provided to you above) has all the info on liquids and gels. You have to follow the 3-1-1 rule.

Every bottle has to be 3.4 ounces or less and all have to fit within one, one quart ziploc.

You have to have this in a place where you can get to it (like an outside zip pouch) so that you can put it in the tray to go through the security check. You also have to put your purse or other carry ons in the tray, anything in your pockets, your shoes, etc.

Once you get through security, if you don't leave this "safe zone" while you're waiting to change planes at the next airport, then you won't have to be rechecked (unless there's some sort of problem that occurs).

Now, if you're traveling to another country, you will have some other rules to follow.

If you're in the U.S., you will need a picture ID (such as your license), but your children will not need anything. I'm not sure what age this is good up through.....

and I have questions.

Do I need to have I.D.s for my children?

Are there restrictions on aerosol sunblock?

What about shampoo? Should I put it in small containers?

IDs are required for 18 and above. As to liquids, as much as you want in checked baggage. 4 oz maximum in carry-ons. You put your carry-on liquids in a ziploc, and remove from the carry-on when you go through security. As long as the food is not liquid, you can bring it through. You can buy liquid once you get through security.

If your carseats are FAA approved (should say on one of the labels or in the manual), you can use them ON the plane. I'm nervous about gate checking carseats because the airline workers aren't super careful about them and you don't know what kind of abuse they suffer when they're out of your sight.

Oh, and an inexpensive fold-away luggage cart is a great thing to have if you're packing carseats. We got one that could hold our two big carseats (one up, one upside down and fitted to the other) and it folded down small enough that it fit into the carry-on suitcase we brought.

If your carseats are FAA approved (should say on one of the labels or in the manual), you can use them ON the plane. I'm nervous about gate checking carseats because the airline workers aren't super careful about them and you don't know what kind of abuse they suffer when they're out of your sight.

True but you have to purchase a ticket for the infant/toddler using it. Most airlines will let under 2 fly free in the parents lap, and use a spare seat if available. When kids were that little, dh worked for an airline so we flew free and knew how to pick flights with spare seats so it was never an issue. Had he not, we would have bought a ticket for the infant/toddler. Also note that they will sometimes ask for proof that the child is under 2. If you have an under 2, and aren't buying a seat, and said child looks older, bring proof....

This is a good point. I have one Britax that I would hope would be approved, but I don't think the other is. I may also just check on the van rental and see if I can get carseats from them. Make A Wish is paying for the rental, maybe they will pay for carseats, too?

This is a good point. I have one Britax that I would hope would be approved, but I don't think the other is. I may also just check on the van rental and see if I can get carseats from them. Make A Wish is paying for the rental, maybe they will pay for carseats, too?

Britax Regent is not approved

The Marathon, Roundabout, Roundabout50, Boulevard, Diplomat, Advocate, Frontier (in harness mode) are all FAA approved

No booster seat is approved on the plane because they need lap-shoulder belts and the plane only has lap belts

Edited by vonfirmath

When in doubt, leave it out. So much of what they confiscate is up to the particular mood of the agent. My daughter went through just fine with knitting needles and scissors but my other daughter had her *wooden* toy sword confiscated (she was bringing it back as a gift). My husband almost lost his keychain multitool (no knives, just screwdrivers and pliers). He ended up getting it back, but it bought him a 15 min delay for a special search. :glare:

Barb

True but you have to purchase a ticket for the infant/toddler using it. Most airlines will let under 2 fly free in the parents lap, and use a spare seat if available.

I know this is getting off-topic and doesn't actually apply to the OP, but I wanted to address this issue. I wouldn't fly with a kid on my lap. I've done it before, but I wouldn't do it again. Reason 1: Safety. Not worried so much about a crash, but turbulence can get rough and it's just safer to have your child strapped in rather than held. Reason 2: There just isn't enough room on a plane. Adding a child on your lap means you now have even less room to maneuver and it crowds anyone else around you. And if the person in front of you reclines his seat--those 2-3 inches of space that he just took up in front of you will make you feel crowded without having a child on your lap.

Cinder

Britax Regent is not approved

The Marathon, Roundabout, Roundabout50, Boulevard, Diplomat, Advocate, Frontier (in harness mode) are all FAA approved

No booster seat is approved on the plane because they need lap-shoulder belts and the plane only has lap belts

We have a marathon. I guess we'll have to rent the booster once we get to FL.

I have one other specific question. Are we supposed to print out our tickets? :confused: Do we even check in at the counter if we aren't checking bags or do we just do it online now?

We have a marathon. I guess we'll have to rent the booster once we get to FL.

I have one other specific question. Are we supposed to print out our tickets? :confused: Do we even check in at the counter if we aren't checking bags or do we just do it online now?

I have travelled on the airplane with a Marathon before. If you are installing it FF on the plane get a seatbelt extender! It is fairly easy to install, but uninstalling might require taking the seat apart if you don't use the extender to put the buckle in a better place than it would otherwise end up.

What is often recommended for boosters is to put the "back" part in your luggage and the "seat" part in your carry on part -- so at least when you get to the other end, you've got a no-back booster to use. Renting a car seat is not generally recommended (as well as being quite expensive compared to the cost of the booster)

As for the tickets part -- it depends on how you bought your tickets. I was able to check in the night before on Southwest and print boarding tickets -- so I guess if I was not checking any luggage I could have gone straight to the gate and checked in there. But I was always checking luggage so did that way.

If you just have tickets though, you need to go to the desk and get boarding tickets to get past security. A LOT of places have a way to print them from a terminal at the desk -- but you will need the credit card they were purchased on (And maybe a confirmation number?)

I know this is getting off-topic and doesn't actually apply to the OP, but I wanted to address this issue. I wouldn't fly with a kid on my lap. I've done it before, but I wouldn't do it again. Reason 1: Safety. Not worried so much about a crash, but turbulence can get rough and it's just safer to have your child strapped in rather than held. Reason 2: There just isn't enough room on a plane. Adding a child on your lap means you now have even less room to maneuver and it crowds anyone else around you. And if the person in front of you reclines his seat--those 2-3 inches of space that he just took up in front of you will make you feel crowded without having a child on your lap.

Cinder

Alternate experience:

My current 2yo flew on my lap twice between the ages of 1 and 2. She loathes her carseat and screams if she's in it more than 45 min or so and always has since she was a newborn. I set her on my lap facing me and spread my Maya wrap around the both of us and tightened it like a comfy seatbelt. She could nurse when she wanted, sleep with the tail thrown over her to block the light, and snuggle mommy for 4 hours. Worked great for us.

I know the OP's kids are past this stage, but I thought I'd throw the idea out there in case others with little ones are looking for ideas.

Barb