Menu

Vocabulary for a 2yo

Tracy

My ds2 is receiving speech therapy for his speech delay. As he is saying more words, we have noticed that his new words are much clearer than his old words. So he is saying the old words out of habit. The speech therapist says that the way to fix this is to increase his vocabulary as much as possible so that he has a lot of words to compare the old words to and notice the similarities in sound vs. differences in how he says them.

So I am looking for ideas for how to go about doing this with a 2yo. I loved teaching vocabulary to my older dd, but it all came naturally with our experiences. But in this case, I need to purposely beef it up, and with all that I am doing right now, it is not going to happen if I am just looking for opportune moments. I am not looking for a curriculum per se--just some direction. Any ideas?

Would flashcards work?

I know some two year olds dislike them but many enjoy the chance to sit in your lap and look at pictures. There are some with animals or household objects that might give you some new words. Or you could cut up some magazines and make your own.

A picture dictionary to read from would probably work too.

I'm not into the whole teaching babies to read thing, but I think in this situation something like Your Baby Can read might help. I'm reviewing a program called Little Reader. My dd2 is 2.5 and she loves it. I do not know that she'll learn to read, but I can see that it would improve vocabulary, and speech skills. Just a thought:001_smile:.

Maybe the Usborne First Thousand Words book? There's a First Hundred Words book, too, if that's closer to his current level.

Oooh, and they're sticker books! That may be a good way to go. I have trouble getting him to sit for books, unless they are about trucks or sports. He is so narrow in his interests that it is hard to get him to pay attention to anything else. The stickers just may hold his interest and at the same time, make it more relevant to him. And if he doesn't like it, perhaps it will at least give me some guidance as to what vocabulary to introduce to him.

Thanks for this, and to everyone else that has offered suggestions.