Menu

NaNoWriMo's in FIVE weeks... you ready??

I have the names of five of my major characters, woohoo! (and since I am writing about dragons, that's no small feat :lol:)

I've heard the goal should be to write 1,667 words per day. Does anybody know how many pages that is?

Based on advice by Lazette Gifford (NaNo for the New and Insane... free e-book here http://www.lazette.net/FreeStuff/NaNo.htm), I'm working on coming up with 30 plot points so I'll have a new piece of story to write every day to avoid permanent stuckiness. So far I've got 7 of them, and that includes the intro and conclusion, hurrah!!!

Everybody should be forewarned that one of the major characters dies in Plot Point 29. My best friend/editor has agreed to let me know if that scene does make her at least the tiniest bit sad. If it makes her laugh, she is to shoot me.

Here's to our five last weeks of freedom! :cheers2:

Still trying to decide between three plots, which to pursue. One is historical, I am thinking that one's out due to research that would be needed. So, I guess it's really between 2 ideas now. Unless something more spontaneous pops into my head in the meantime...

Working on getting my house super clean and organized now, as it will likely be neglected in November! Plan to start plotting come October.

I don't feel really ready, our schedule is pretty hectic and on top of that I really need to get a part time job to earn some money. But I am looking forward to the challenge again.

I'm TOTALLY excited for NANO this year!!!! I need to spend Oct doing a detailed plot because I really want to hammer out the first draft of this story. It' a sequel to the one I just finished, so I already have my major players and I know the general theme.

Oct 31 has now become known to me as NANO-Eve.

I love this!!

Most likely, which will add an interesting dynamic to the whole challenge. :001_huh: Thankfully I plan to take two full weeks off school, so at least I can write, unpack, write, unpack.

Sorry about that timing, but I'm guessing you'll get at least one interesting character or wacky plot point by way of it!

At least unpacking is somewhat mindless, so while you are unpacking you can be brainstorming.

NANO Eve... the day on which one stockpiles.

Chocolate

Caffeine

Eyedrops

Freezer meals

Box cereal

Cold celebratory beverage of choice

Clean socks & underwear

Box cereal

obnoxious warning signs to post on writing room door

A couple of new art supplies to occupy 5yo

Extra books for assigned quiet reading for the kids

What am I missing?

Sorry about that timing, but I'm guessing you'll get at least one interesting character or wacky plot point by way of it!

At least unpacking is somewhat mindless, so while you are unpacking you can be brainstorming.

NANO Eve... the day on which one stockpiles.

Chocolate

Caffeine

Eyedrops

Freezer meals

Box cereal

Cold celebratory beverage of choice

Clean socks & underwear

Box cereal

obnoxious warning signs to post on writing room door

A couple of new art supplies to occupy 5yo

Extra books for assigned quiet reading for the kids

What am I missing?

Wrist braces? My dh has carpal tunnel flare ups and I borrow his braces in November.

Pizza delivery number close at hand

Fly swatter to bat at the internal editor that sits on your shoulder

A writing hat. I have an editing hat, but I need a writing hat this year. Ds knows not to bother me when I'm wearing the hat.

Wait a minute. We're supposed to get ready? This is my first year. I've been planning on doing this with my son in November. Are we too late to get ready? What are we supposed to do to get ready? Help.

You might want to think of what sort of story you'll write in November, maybe make an outline so you won't get stuck as easily while writing. Or, you could just wait til Nov 1 and see what happens :) Good luck!

Wait a minute. We're supposed to get ready? This is my first year. I've been planning on doing this with my son in November. Are we too late to get ready? What are we supposed to do to get ready? Help.

Have you looked at the (downloadable/printable) workbooks on the Young Writer's portion of the NaNoWriMo website? There are versions for elementary grades, middle school grades, and high school grades. I'm planning on having dd10 work her way through at least the first portion of the middle school workbook during the month of October. By doing so, she'll develop characters, plot and such before beginning writing on Nov 1.

I'm a pantser... (this year) but my kids started their nano workbooks last week. The deal I have with them is that the workbooks are a mandatory part of their English curriculum, but they are also free to ditch all that preparation and seat of the pants it through the actual NaNo writing.

Planning for NaNo would stress me out, and I have enough stress correcting papers and prepping lesson plans every week. So, this year I am going to keep it fun and just go for it when the time comes.

Have you looked at the (downloadable/printable) workbooks on the Young Writer's portion of the NaNoWriMo website? There are versions for elementary grades, middle school grades, and high school grades. I'm planning on having dd10 work her way through at least the first portion of the middle school workbook during the month of October. By doing so, she'll develop characters, plot and such before beginning writing on Nov 1.

Ah, this is what I needed to know - to have him work through the workbook before he starts writing. I guess I need print it!

I saw the 6 week message while we didn't have internet at the hotel (so doing McD's once or twice each day). We decided that we would do that in November. I'm not sure my dd will fully do it as she NEEDS 20 credits this term. My son is going to do it instead of his Home2Teach writing class; but I haven't figure out how many words to ask of him (he's VERY reluctant so I'm thinking 20-30K). I'm going to try to do it fully.

I'm not very good at fiction so I was thinking of fictionizing something pretty real (my life), but have it a little futuristic, like 10 years or so out? Maybe doing that as a flashback though so it'd really be even more in the future, like 20 or 40 years further? My writing will be PG, I'm sure. Though all the words will be G level, I'm sure the content, if I go this particular direction, will be more PG. Is anyone's life completely G rated? That seems like it'd be NICE, but seems like there is a lot of CONTENT in life.

So this is what I'm thinking, but I'm going to check out that free resource.

NaNo can't start yet. I have to find my wrist brace. :tongue_smilie: Next month I will start with a name hunt. I have no idea what the book will be about this year, but I know I have to have character names before I start. Hopefully I can start mentally planning on my weekly runs as I train for a half marathon that is at the end of November.

You really don't need to do ANYTHING. I signed up on October 24 last year on a whim, and just started writing on November 1. It doesn't have to be awesome or fabulous or even make sense. You just have to write every day and have fun with it!

From, a pantser. :)

I will not plan my novel.

(I have to do it this way, because I am awesome at self sabotage. It's one of the best things I do. If I loved the story, I would suffer amazing amounts of doubt during November. I couldn't get it out. For me, the point of NaNo is just to show up to the page each day whether I feel it or not.)

Can we dust off our social group, or do we plan to just use the general board for posting progress & encouragement?

EL, I think you are the official starter-of-the-NaNoWriMo social group, what say you?

By the way, are the social groups passe, anyway???

That's a great question, AuntieM--I posted a note on the social group last week (?), but I don't think anyone's been over there lately. Either that, or I scared 'em off. In which case I guess I'll transfer my membership to the thread killers' group. :D

I did find a wonderful new way to procrastinate tonight, though: a writers' website, www.fmwriters.com. You can post your work and get critiques (and critique others' writing in return). I read through a couple of postings and was firmly reminded of the critical importance of a snappy intro. Which helped me form new rules for myself:

1) Never start a story with background information.

2) Never, ever start a story with weather.

Yes, I'm sort of ready. I actually just finished the first draft of the 2009 nano. I ended up deleting 50% of what I wrote -too much filler. Won't ever do that again. Didn't think I was going to do it this year, but got a great idea that's been floating around for a while and decided to go for it. Even though my short stories class starts at the same time. Working on outline and characters now. Will be thriller: working title Red Thief

I am now procrastinating on outlining by reading all the writing books in my house. Currently I have open:

Madeleine L'Engle's Circle of Quiet

John Gardner's The Art of Fiction, and

E.M. Forster's Aspects of the Novel.

While I find each of these books encouraging in its own way, oddly, not one of them mentions dragons.

I'm glad to see this thread because I was going to post if no one else did. I'm ready with a plot and I've done some good research. I should do 30 plot points though so that I don't dry up like I have some years. The last two years I've had vacation with no good computer access for several days but still completed the challenge. In 2008 I finished at 10:39 pm on the last night!

I hope to keep up with everyone on the board this year and keep motivated.

I did a sort of NaNoWriMo novel in July. The only problem was that my story was too long. I did the 50,000 words in one month...but my story was only half told.

So, I've shelved it and during November I'm going to write the last 50,000 words. I'll call it a sequel.

I have no idea what I'm going to write about this year! Last year was the first time that I actually won....I finished one story (28K word contemporary kids novel) and started another (25K unfinished young adult novel). I'm trying to finish revising my first novel before NaNoWriMo starts.

I was thinking about finishing a novel this year for NaNo, but it worked so well for me last year not knowing anything about where my story was going, that I'd love to try it again this year. I just need a germ of an idea. I have two stories that are only one or two chapters in, but I'm afraid that working on those would take the "magic" out of NaNoWriMo, so I'm going to start from scratch.

Anyone else scrambling for an idea?

Can we dust off our social group, or do we plan to just use the general board for posting progress & encouragement?

EL, I think you are the official starter-of-the-NaNoWriMo social group, what say you?

By the way, are the social groups passe, anyway???

I will dust off the group and get it started. I will be getting ready for a move and may not be able to visit as often as I like, but I'll open up the doors and get it ready.

I'll download the newest logos once they are released. Feel free to start any conversations at the social group. If you're not sure where it's at it's here. http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/group.php?groupid=40

The door is open, the coffee is on, comfy chairs available, go ahead kick your feet up on the coffee table, you might need to move the pile of books first. :D

I had to hunt this thread down and resurrect it from page 3. I signed up tonight for the first time. I'd made a list of 29 things to do by the time I turned 29, and "write a short story" was #11. Hence, NaNoWriMo. Pray for my everlasting soul. I have no idea what I'm going to write about.

The good news is I have already bought or made 3/4 of my Christmas gifts this year, so I can ignore the holidays to write! :D

I just start. The first year I dumped all my ideas / outlines around Oct. 28th for something more fun. I still finished. The main thing for me is to write EVERY DAY. No excuses. My 2nd year was harder because I missed a few days, and I had to re-motivate myself and boogie to catch up.

I have been thinking about NaNo, but I have NO idea what to write yet. I haven't even picked a category. But I'll be writing 2,000 words a day! :gnorsi: I can't wait to start!!!

Amy

Reasons not to:

I'll be trying to pack out the house in Nov/Dec for our fourth transoceanic move (at least headed back to teh US this time).

Reasons to:

I looked at the workbook for middle school and this looks like a total blast.

Both of my older sons said they're interested. #2 has already gone through several pages of the middle school workbook doing up ideas for his novel.

There is a mom on base who is really pushing my buttons. I think it would be good for my mental health to make her a character in the novel. Sort of a literary voodoo doll :D

I'll be trying to pack out the house around then and will probably need something to take my mind off of the stress of putting all our possessions into the hands of strangers.

I was feeling overwhelmed by the idea, but this thread has me stoked. I showed the kids the elementary workbook today in the hopes that someone will bite.

One of mine is so excited he's not waiting until November. And that's really cool. I'm thrilled that he's so excited about his idea that he wants to get going on it.

His older brother is a little less thrilled, but asked if it was ok if he did illustrations. And you know, I'm cool with that too. Maybe I'll see if he'll illustrate something for me too.

I'm thinking about doing a writers' group here on our base. I wonder who would come out of the woodwork.