Menu

Another Comm. College anomaly?

We're encountering a lot of changes since ds#1 took concurrent courses. Yesterday ds#2 had 5 "essays" to turn in for his first US history test. This assignment consisted of 5 topics for which the students were to write a "300 word paragraph". Ds typed his "paragraphs" in MLA format, each as a different paper. His "paragraphs" were just over 1 page in length so his total was 9-10 pages. I had a problem with the idea that these topics were supposed to be a single long paragraph. I wanted him to write an introduction, 1 body paragraph, and a conclusion. He thought that would be fine, but that the assignment just mentioned a paragraph. OK, I can understand that, but, IMO that is a poor way to write on a topic - but whatever:001_huh:

Ds turned in the papers yesterday and commented that a large percentage of the class turned in HANDWRITTEN papers!:confused: I have heard from some of his friends who are attending a local state university branch that many of their classmates are turning in handwritten papers as well. Each of these campuses have student computer services and the students have XX amount of free copies per semester.

So...here I am requiring that my students from junior high on submit typewritten, MLA formatted essays! And to what purpose if their college professors aren't requiring the same????:glare:

Depending on the student's circumstances, they may not have access to a computer at the time they do the work. As an example, my ds spends 2 hours a day commuting. He uses that time to do school work. I suppose some folks use laptops nowadays, but lugging one around all day, in an already-packed backpack, is not ideal. If much of the cc's population has similar issues, then it makes sense that the teacher not be a stickler for papers being typed. (Though one assumes they should still be formatted appropriately.) That said, if your child can and does do a properly typed and formatted paper, they're ahead of the game. Good job mom!

She wrote MANY essays and papers... it was a tough course.

All papers were to be typed in MLA format.

All 'essays' (yes she had the BIG 1 paragraph ones assigned too) were also to be typed--most were submitted to a online service that checked for plagiarism--this also allowed the instructor to grade them soon after they were submitted--so he had grades to pass out by the next course day.

No handwritten work except for the 'short' essay questions on the tests.

My DD has taken courses at different CC's, two have been English Comp and a third was Philosophy. Different instructors. One required strict !!!! MLA format, typed papers. One required a typed paper, but as long as it had her name, date, section number, and was double-spaced..that was it.

Her third, present instructor is requiring MLA format but with a deviation (cover page) and she has stated that the paper may be handwritten, because some of her students cannot afford computers and this branch campus does not have a computer lab.

D says there are some really financially strapped students in her class.