Menu

CPO science - am I missing something here?

Heather in VA

I was just checking out the CPO science website and I'm confused. Do those of you using CPO just not do the labs or has the curriculum budget fairy been better to you guys than me. I am always prepared to spend more on science because we want to do lots of experiments but yikes. And it doesn't look like these things would be available elsewhere or if they were they wouldn't be much cheaper.

How do you handle experiments? It looks interesting but I can't do a program that is too expensive to be hands-on.

Thanks

Heather

We're using Earth Science. The labs don't seem to require as much equipment as for physical science (based on a quick look). I've adapted the stream table lab 2A to use a very large extra deep paint tray liner and a food-grade bucket w/ spigot (dh is a homebrewer so we had this around already). There will be a post with pictures on my blog later today, probably after dinner.

One lab I will skip totally since it relies on specific radar plates. I'm not sure yet what I'll sub for that. Next week we're supposed to do a lab demonstrating convenction currents using a "geobox"-----our geobox is a repurposed Rubbermaid-like clear box, the size larger than a shoebox. I haven't yet decided if I want to cut up a lid to insert chimneys. The other labs involving the geobox are very easy to adapt, like the "topoform" (land surface model-----I'll use modeling clay) and topo lid (just a flat lid).

I still have less than half the labs yet to read through carefully. I'm planning on doing that on Monday, my first "in-service" day :) We're following Older Sister's school schedule and she's off that day.

We'll be skipping the expensive labs or substituting other experiments. For the expensive labs, we'll go over the data given in the teacher's manual, discuss the results and move on. For ex: the beginning of Life Science has the student using a $120 marble shooter to learn about independent and dependent variables. WE'll look at the data given in the teacher's manual and discuss. In the experiment a few lessons later, using things I can find locally, the text discusses independent and dependent variables again. I see no reason to buy a $120 marble shooter. Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to have a marble shooter but it's not in the budget. The same w/ this optics lesson near the end. WE'll go over the sample data that's given and move on.

We did Life Science last year. We did most of the labs, and any "special" equipment was easily worked around, and we got other stuff from standard science supply places for not a lot of money.

We're doing Earth Science, but not starting till Dec - but I think there are only a few things that need working around, and from what I've read here, aren't too hard to duplicate with some Rubbermaid containers and a bit of creativity.

Really - most of the labs (at least for Earth and Life) don't require that expensive stuff.