Menu

Anybody so excited about next year's curriculum/plans that...

you just want to ditch everything from this year and start fresh? I just got my MFW ECC package in the mail and am so excited to start it! WT 1&2 arrived yesterday and I can't wait to start my 2 sons on it! AAS is on it's way and Simply Spelling just came yesterday (I found a used copy really cheap!). Apol. Zoo 1 is just sitting on my shelf waiting for this baby to come so we can officially start that and I've already started my ds6 and ds8 on LLATL! Ds9 will start when his books come and dd will start over the summer. Seems so many of the programs I chose for this year were a bust that we already ditched and/or switched 3/4 of them! :glare: Saxon math didn't work for 2 of my dc so we switched already to MUS. FLL 1/2, ETC and SWO are examples of other "bad choices" (for many of my dc). Then there was MOH and CKE Biology and the God's Design for Life set. They are all super curriculums! Just super! Why, oh why, did my dc NOT get into them?

Anyway, to make this long story short...I'm just so excited to start fresh and I pray, oh do I pray, that my choices for next year work better than this year's choices. Anybody else it this boat?

Seems so many of the programs I chose for this year were a bust that we already ditched and/or switched 3/4 of them!... They are all super curriculums! Just super! Why, oh why, did my dc NOT get into them?

Anyway, to make this long story short...I'm just so excited to start fresh and I pray, oh do I pray, that my choices for next year work better than this year's choices. Anybody else it this boat?

I am just too embarrassed to admit how many times (how many years!) I have ditched a curriculum! But I'm getting a little better (at least I hope I am, well maybe.......LOL)

i'm so glad i'm finally over the terror of "what if you break WTM schedule for chemistry in 3rd grade?" and have gone with my heart to do like you--apologia science. the book makes me think about summerschooling. almost.

I have everything set for "next" year. I was also chomping at the bit to start...then I realized that dd7 is already doing 3rd grade math and everything else was finished except history and that we are finishing up pretty quickly so we will start the !st week of May. We are also starting 3 weeks on and 1 week off so i am really excited!

We are also starting things we really haven't touched before like Latin (and I am really excited..that befuddles me).

We are starting formal grammar with R&S 3. I'm ready to go!

The programs I am so excited about? All of them!

but they include NEOE Science:Chemistry...okay, I love Chem and so does DH...I am hoping to instill a love for it in my kids as well! We will be supplementing this with Element-O..a Chemistry board game! The weeks we have no experiments we will play Element-O instead.

The other program I am really excited about is Winterpromise: American Story 1.

Can't wait! But we are having fun finishing up the Middle ages! I love when my kids request SOTW audio cd! Ds6 was so disappointed that I didn't have it in the car yesterday! We did have "the queen's pirate" by Jim Weiss and he ended up being happy with that! When my kids ask to listen to stuff like SOTW or other things like it I am always so glad we homeschool! I just think of their cousins (not all of them to be fair), who would be happy watching Songebob Squarepants and listening to who knows what music....I like this much better!

with my middle child. My oldest goes to the public high school, so next year will be my first venture into high school in our homeschool. We will begin again with the ancients, which I love, and I am looking forward to reading the literature with him.

I am also excited to do SOTW again with my youngest one. We finished the four volumes 2 years ago and began studying US history in depth. However, I may buy the audio version of SOTW for her, because she's not the strongest reader, and I don't know how I'm going to fit in reading it aloud to her, along with everything else.

I am looking forward to being done with this year, because I want to start working in my yard, and I want to go canoing and camping and, of course, hiking!

Kim

Even as my dd, almost 12, laments how terrible her life is since I took her out of school in January, I am eagerly looking forward to using LL7 with her next year.

Why did I not know of Lightning Lit when my older kids were home? Who forgot to tell me????

Yes, I am also very excited about starting our new school year because of some curriculum changes! I am most excited about starting TOG Year 1 redesign. Our other big change is switching to a year round schedule, so we will start July 7th, and have more breaks. I hope that I will be able to kiss burn-out syndrome goodbye!:auto:

I can't wait to finally delve into American History!!!!!! We covered it when the dc were younger, but, we've been on the cycle and are just now coming around to it again!

I also am excited to do our Beautiful Feet Geog. program again this year. We had so much fun with it when the dc were younger, and they wanted to do something like that again. Now that they're older, we'll go further into it. It'll be a nice break from Trail Guides.

I've bought my Sonlight 6 and 200 and I'm excited, but I put the boxes in the closet and try not to think about them too much. I have picked up a few more books on Ancient History (including Bauer's) to get ready, and went around the house gathering what I had on Ancient History and put it all in one spot.

I think right now I'm more excited that we're almost done with our current curriculum!! Yay summer!!

As soon as our Classical Conversations ended we took one week off and then I started the "new" last term of the school year - really a first term of next school year - mostly going back to Ambleside stuff. and a few other things. We should finish 10 or 12 weeks or so just before my due date. It is great to feel like we're on the right track now.

Yes, me too!!

I've finished the first week of a five week active duty tour ... and I know I said I'd post but I've just been too exhausted after I get home in the evenings. :glare: I have been reading posts, though. :)

My mom and dh are doing a super job on the homefront with ds's homeschool schedule. It is so exciting to arrive home and see everything he's accomplished each day! :lurk5:

Meanwhile, I'm planning on how I'm going to spend some of that $$$ I'm making on new curricula. :D I had already just switched a couple of things; it is nice to know I'm not alone in jumping around. I keep looking at the new stuff I've already bought and wonder if I could start some of it when I finish working in mid-May.

Even though I'm not posting every day ... your being here is such a boost for me!

Thanks all!

Carol

I've already started dd11 on LL7 and so far, so good. She likes the story/poetry/book selections. She's not to keen on doing actually "work" to go along with them, but she'll get over it! She's my "easy" student most of the time!

:iagree: We started LL7 the day after we got it, which was a couple of weeks ago.

Yes, I am diving into TOG Redesign 2. This is the first time I am using TOG and I'm having fun looking at the books online and reading things from the Loom. My dh is at a conference in Hawaii, poor thing, and I am staying up late reading TOG. I'm actually enjoying being here planning next year. Pretty sad, huh?

Yes, I'm really looking forward to next year -- MFW CTG. Every year I want to get started with the new curriculum around this time and fizzle out with what we're supposed to working on, so this year I've decided not to order until the middle of next month, when we'll be mostly finished with this year's stuff.

The only thing I've bought so far is next year's grammar (R&S 5) and spelling (R&S 2) and I *know* my dc aren't itching to get started on those! ;) So they can happily stay on the shelf for a few months.

One thing I am going to do for next year is get organized. I really need a better bookshelf in the school area, so I'm going to distract myself by hunting for it, rather than repeatedly pulling out and mulling over next year's curiculum.

I've been spending all my time lately looking at "new" curriculums and daydreaming about the summer off with lots of time to plan out the next year. I think I have more fun comparing programs, planning the schedules out, and organizing all my books, papers, and binders than I do actually teaching!

And the teaching is really fun!:D

As my husband keeps reminding me (thank God one of us responsible;)) - finish this year strong, THEN plan for next year. If only it weren't so hard.

Not *me* but my son was so excited about 2 books for next year that he begged me to start them right away.....so I let him.

I hadn't even planned out the scheduling or anything. But far be it for me to stand in the way of a boy that excited about Life science and geography.

Knock yourself out kid.

Yes, but we've actually started into next year's this month - and changed math programs mid year - or actually added a new math curriculum. My dd14 was struggling with Algebra 1, so I took a poll from homeschoolers and we switched to Math U See. I'm starting our whole family ages 3, 6 and 14 from the very beginning to pick up the stuff we've missed along the way. The younger boys love the manipulatives and math is now play time. We'll see how my 14 year old does as we get her started in this.

Yes, we started "next year" about five weeks or so ago! I've always gone more by my children's ages than the season of the year. They both have spring birthdays. I've slowly implemented all the things I'm changing. The only thing I'm holding off on is the My Father's World First Grade student materials for my upcoming first grader. He has already started some of his other first grade work, so I'm just going to make myself wait for that.

I'm happy with the changes I'm making and it looks like they are going to work just great. I just wish Writing With Ease were available now, but I have signed up for the preorder list.

. . . I am really, REALLY anxious to get all the new stuff I've picked out and start writing my lesson plans. Traditionally, I do that over the summer while the kids are in activities. This year, though, they won't be doing much outside the house. So, it's a nearly constant struggle to prevent myself from sitting down and explaining to my husband that I really must go ahead and order everything early so I can do my planning now, instead . . .

JFS, Lighting Lit wasn't around when our older kids were at home. It's only a few years old LOL It's one of our favorite new programs too.

Come April I always drool over the new curriculum too. I think the new products represent all of our hopes for a fabulous year of learning.