Menu

Handwriting paper

Dinsfamily

My ds is ready for smaller-lined paper. He's currently using 3rd grade dotted middle line paper and has been since the beginning of last year when we started handwriting. What's the next step? Does he just go to wide-ruled? Is it a hard transition from having the middle line? He forms his letters very well but the big lines are annoying to him. I know that Donna Young has many types of paper to print but buying a ream is much more cost effective. I got the ream of third grade paper for less than $7 and it'll last me through all 4 dc.

Any thoughts?

TIA,

In third grade, dd's public school transitions all the kids to wide ruled notebook paper, except in their journals (which are useless, ime, b/c they can only write one page, and it's 3rd grade ruled, so there's room for maybe a couple of sentences...but that is another post).

I found dd's handwriting got a little sloppier and slower, but just for a few weeks. Then we transitioned to cursive anyway, so she did practice writing on the smallest middle lined paper we could find, and used wide ruled for everything else.

I don't want her drawing her letters, I want her writing them--the automaticity and fluidity that comes with practice has allowed her to use wide rule all the time now. If she goes back to any kind of midlined paper, I can see her drawing her letters! It's funny how lines that are too big can lead to that.

We use RediSpace transitional notebook paper by Mead. This has helped dc move from primary paper to wide-ruled notebook paper.

The 'Go' and 'Stop' signs help with margins, and the light tick marks evenly spaced on each line help with letter size (most lower case letters are level with the tick height), letter spacing (one letter per space), and overall legibility (leave an empty tick between words, two empty ticks between sentences).

We also use this paper for math, to line up the digits for long division, etc.

aude sapere

Thanks everyone! I hadn't come across most of these looking around myself. Since wide-ruled is only a bit smaller than we're using now and so cheap, I'm going to try that first. If it doesn't work for him, I'll buy some 3/8" dotted middle line paper. He doesn't have any trouble writing without lines at all on a white board so maybe he doesn't need the middle line. He is writing in cursive so letter spacing isn't an issue.

I'll be bookmarking these sites for the future.