Menu

Women only--need natural treatment ideas

At my yearly in February, I was diagnosed with a bacterial infection. Didn't know I had it. After antibiotics, a few minor symptoms (previously chalked up to low thyroid, low progesterone, body gone nuts after last pregnancy stuff) went away.

Symptoms came back. Doctor called in a refill (actually the new prescription includes 4 treatment cycles.)

Is there anything I can do to make this stay away. I can't seem to find a cause. It's NOT the STD version. Just in case anyone thought that.:tongue_smilie:

I'm going to assume you're not douching as that is a huge cause.

Did you get metronidazole as your meds? If it was another abx, it would not be as effective.

Try increasing your intake of live yogurt. If it were me, I'd also be taking acidopholus etc capsules.

Check out this http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0689/is_8_53/ai_n6169486

good luck :-)

When we take antibotics it will kill all the bacteria in our bodies, including the good bacteria. So when taking antibotics its a good idea to eat foods that have a lot of the good bacteria in them like acidopholus milk and natural yogurt. What this does is it replaces the bad bacteria we lost with the antibotics and immediately replaces them with good bacteria. When we don't consume natural probiotics in our regular diet, what ends up happening is we are suseptable to any bacteria.

Give it a try with your antibotics and see if it doesn't keep the problem at bay. Other things that might be causing this problem is duching. That's a big no no. Also washing your genitals with soap is another big no no. This two things wash away the good bacteria that we need. If this doesn't apply to you then I would be patient through this dosage of meds and see what happens after that.

Hope you feel better soon!

When taking antibiotics, I also take the strongest probiotic I can find. This is the type that is in the refrigerated section of the organic foods department of the grocery store, or the refrigerated section of a supplement store. These pills contain bounteous amounts of a wide variety of strains of "good" bacteria. The antibiotics kill both good and bad bacteria, so taking a strong probiotic is necessary to keep replenishing the good ones in your system. Keep taking the probiotic for awhile after finishing the antibiotics, to give your system a chance to re-establish the "good" colonies. The good bacteria, when strong, prevent the bad ones from getting established so easily.

I don't have much to add... but I just wanted to say that taking a probiotic is a good idea. It will help replenish your immune system. My very wonderful doctor (who would much rather go natural then medical) always tells me to go on them when I'm taking antibiotics.

I found that when I was on them, I had a low-grade bacterial infection that would go away after treatment, but come back in a few weeks. It was a vicious cycle. Once I went off the pill and got an IUD, I've had no infections since, yeast or bacterial.

I also second the probiotics and yogurt.

I'm going to assume you're not douching as that is a huge cause.

Did you get metronidazole as your meds? If it was another abx, it would not be as effective.

Try increasing your intake of live yogurt. If it were me, I'd also be taking acidopholus etc capsules.

Check out this http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0689/is_8_53/ai_n6169486

good luck :-)

yes! I had this for TOO long. My gyn. suggested borax capsules and acidophillous as well. WORKED! Both of these are found at your local natural-type store.