Menu

LLATL?

SamuelsMommy

Has anyone used LLATL? I'm looking at this for my DS but even after looking at the samples I'm unsure of what level he would need. He has completed Hooked on Phonics K-2nd grade and is reading Level 1 and 2 readers from the library. But, we've done no LA instruction. I looked at the samples and scope of sequence and I think he's past the blue level in terms of reading ability, but some of the other skills covered we've never gone over (ex. grammar skills like punctuation & parts of speech, research & study skills such as using a dictionary, encyclopedia, etc) Are those covered again in the red level or would i need to start with blue and just ignore the phonics part to fill in the gaps?

Has anyone used LLATL? I'm looking at this for my DS but even after looking at the samples I'm unsure of what level he would need. He has completed Hooked on Phonics K-2nd grade and is reading Level 1 and 2 readers from the library. But' date=' we've done no LA instruction. I looked at the samples and scope of sequence and I think he's past the blue level in terms of reading ability, but some of the other skills covered we've never gone over (ex. grammar skills like punctuation & parts of speech, research & study skills such as using a dictionary, encyclopedia, etc) Are those covered again in the red level or would i need to start with blue and just ignore the phonics part to fill in the gaps?[/quote']

I have followed your blog for a little while. :001_smile: He is K this year, right? Are you planning to start LLATL this year?

I have not done blue at all. I did complete The Reading Lesson with my ds and now we are using LLATL red. My ds is in 2nd grade. It is a perfect fit for him after finishing phonics. I would definitely recommend starting in red. I believe that the blue is still primarily phonics instruction.

If he can read the Red readers, place him there. If they're still too hard, I'd work on reading and copywork a bit longer. As a guess, the red readers are about the same level as Little Bear, Fire Cat and Mouse Tales.

ETA: Blue works on CVC words for about half the year, consonant blends for 6 weeks and long vowels for 12 weeks. If he's solid on CVC and consonant blends, Blue will be too easy and you won't get your money's worth from it. OTOH, Red starts out expecting a kid to be a fairly fluent reader who can handle non-phonics controlled text like the easy readers. It's a bit of a jump and you might be somewhere in between. When ds was in between, we used Pathway readers 1.2 and 1.3 books, Days Go By and More Days Go By.

Edited by chiguirre

Hi,

Not trying to hijack(this may actually help you) but I asked about placement a few days ago on another board and was told to go with yellow for my 2nd grade dd. She is currently reading the Beginners Bible and when I looked at Little Bear's Friend and Fire Cat I concluded that my dd could read both pretty easily(each chapter a day) I hope I made the correct choice.

Did I choose wrong?

Thanks,

Penny

Hi,

Not trying to hijack(this may actually help you) but I asked about placement a few days ago on another board and was told to go with yellow for my 2nd grade dd. She is currently reading the Beginners Bible and when I looked at Little Bear's Friend and Fire Cat I concluded that my dd could read both pretty easily(each chapter a day) I hope I made the correct choice.

Did I choose wrong?

Thanks,

Penny

The first "book study" in the Yellow book is Boxcar Children. If you're child isn't ready to read a book like that you may want to wait... or I guess you could skip it.

Thank you all for your help!

I have followed your blog for a little while. :001_smile: He is K this year, right? Are you planning to start LLATL this year?

I have not done blue at all. I did complete The Reading Lesson with my ds and now we are using LLATL red. My ds is in 2nd grade. It is a perfect fit for him after finishing phonics. I would definitely recommend starting in red. I believe that the blue is still primarily phonics instruction.

Yes, he's K this year. I already have HOD for this year but I'm thinking about switching to something else for 1st grade and have started researching already. I tend to research things to death, my husband would say :001_smile: I am not planning on starting till 1st grade, but thought if he would need the blue level to fill in gaps I could go ahead and get it and work on those sections this year and just skip the phonics so he would be ready for red in the fall. But it looks like it's OK to just go straight to red when he's ready.

I am currently using level Blue with my 7.5yr. old ds because he hasn't finished his phonics instruction (mainly long vowels). Toward the end they are learning ea, ai, a_e and so forth. My son hasn't completed vowel teams.

If your son is pass all that I'd say it's safe to go with the red level. I would keep your son's age and the amount of copywork in consideration as well. Reading level is important but so is his maturity level with regards to the other parts of LLATL.

With my son, he can read the short Bob like books, so instead of me reading them to him the first time, like LLATL suggest I have him read it.

Edited by Homeschooling6

The first "book study" in the Yellow book is Boxcar Children. If you're child isn't ready to read a book like that you may want to wait... or I guess you could skip it.

This is not true. The first book study in Yellow is The White Stallion, followed by Madeline, and then I don't remember the other two. Boxcar Children is the first book study in the Orange level.